Kenya Dig It
Hustle to the bustle in Nairobi, then see where the wild things are in Lake Nakuru. Pitch a tent in Lake Navaisha (or at least along its shores), mingle with the Maasai in the Loita Hills and spy lions, elephants and other goodies in the Masai Mara National Reserve.
Flamingo facts: a flock of flamingos is called a flamboyance. Flamingos are monogamous and only lay a single egg each year. The backward bending “knee” of a flamingo is actually its ankle. The real knee is higher up and out of sight. Consider yourself educated.
Day 1 - Nairobi
The journey begins in Nairobi, which has been described as "bustling". We think it's more humming, to be honest, but each to their own.
Kivi Milimani or similar
- Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm.
- Perhaps explore the bars, restaurants, markets and shops during any free time you have
- Optional visits to the National Museum of Kenya, the Karen Blixen Museum (author of Out of Africa) or Bomas of Kenya
- Why not check out the Langata Giraffe Sanctuary or head out on a safari walk in Nairobi National Park
- The Urban Adventures desk within the hotel can help with booking any day tours
Day 2 - Lake Nakuru
Visit Lake Nakuru, where flamingos descend as if their life depended on it. Did you know a flock of flamingos is called a flamboyance? You do now.
Drive north-west past great views of the Rift Valley, Lake Naivasha and Elementaita to Lake Nakuru National Park Visit the New Hope Children's Centre - an orphanage that assists the less fortunate in society and gives them hope
- Along with the other members of the Big Five, Lake Nakuru harbours many rhinos and there will be a good chance of taking a great picture of these magnificent beasts.
- Our camp just outside the park has flush toilets and showers. There is no option to upgrade to a room tonight and WiFi is not available
Day 3-4 - Lake Naivasha
Meet some locals at a village before heading on to Lake Naivasha, where birdwatchers will have a ball. Even non-birdwatchers will have a ball, because this place is awsome. Camp here and find out for yourself.
- Head off to a nearby village with a local guide - a great opportunity to interact with local villagers Drive from Lake Nakuru to your camp near Lake Naivasha (110 km, approx 3 hrs)
- Perhaps hire bikes, a boat, or visit the Crater Lake Game Sanctuary or Hell's Gate National Park near Lake Naivasha
- Our campsite is basic with showers and flush toilets. Depending on availability there is an option to upgrade to a room. WiFi is available at the bar and there is an opportunity to access an ATM and a market during the day to stock up for the remainder of the trip
Day 5 - Loita Hills
Cross the Great Rift Valley floor to Loita Hills in the heart of Masai country. Camp with the tribe members and learn all about their culture from a local elder. It's one of those "I can't believe this is happening" experiences.
- Depart Lake Naivasha and stop in Narok to do a spot of food shopping, taking a lunch break en route to the camp site at Loita Hills (220 km, approx. 5-6 hours)
- Today's drive crosses the Great Rift Valley and journeys into the remote region of Loita Hills Visit the Maasai people and gain an insight into their ancient culture Receive a talk from a local local elder and be shown around a traditional Maasai home and cattle enclosures
- Spend the night in a bush camp with drop toilets and bush shower facilities. There is no upgrades available or access to WiFi
Day 6-7 - Masai Mara National Reserve
Milk some Masai cattle before heading into the Masai Mara National Reserve, where lions, elephants and cheetahs roam (please do not try milking the lions, elephants or cheetahs).
- Drive from Loita to Masai Mara (approx. 1-2 hours)
- Set camp (outside the park) and have lunch before reboarding the truck
- Enjoy an entire day to explore the surrounds and view a multitude of wildlife
- Perhaps embark on an optional balloon ride over the Masai Mara at sunrise - pre book to guarantee availability
- Our campground has flush toilets and showers. There is an option to upgrade tonight (depending on availability) however there is no WiFi available.
Day 8 - Nairobi
Leave the African bush behind and head back to "humming" Nairobi (270 km, approx 6-7 hrs), travelling through Masai farmlands en route.
Get (re)acquainted with Nairobi's bars, restaurants, shops and markets before the trip ends. Perhaps pre book the Nairobi by Night Urban Adbenture
- On arrival in Nairobi you'll be dropped at your finishing point hotel.
No accommodation is provided for tonight, but we are able to book you additional accommodation in Nairobi. Please ask at time of booking.
Important: Please don't book any international flights until after 6pm this evening.
**This trip is run by our sister company Intrepid**
What to Know
On this trip you will be accompanied by 3 crew members - Group Leader, Cook and Driver.
Lake Nakuru - Evening game drive
Lake Nakuru - Village walk
Loita Hills - Cultural talk and village visit
Masai Mara - Game drive
Visit to New Hope Children's Centre
7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners
- International flights, airport transfers, departure taxes, visas, insurance (compulsory on all trips), meals not listed, any optional tours or activities during free time, camera fees, excess baggage charges, tips and items of a personal nature.
It is recommended that you check your government's advice for their latest travel information prior to your departure.
Geckos strongly recommends the use of a neck wallet or money belt while travelling, for the safe-keeping of your passport, air tickets, cash and other valuable items.
Please leave your valuable jewellery at home - you won't need it while travelling. Most of our hotels will have a safety deposit box, which is the most secure way of storing your valuables.
A lock is recommended for securing your luggage.
Your leader will accompany you on all included activities, however during your trip you'll have some free time to pursue your own interests, relax and take it easy or explore at your leisure.
While your group leader will assist you with the available options in a given location, please note that any optional activities you undertake are not part of your itinerary, and Geckos makes no representations about the safety of the activity or the standard of the operators running them.
Please use your own good judgement when selecting an activity in your free time.
Please also note that your group leader has the authority to amend or cancel any part of the trip itinerary if it's deemed necessary due to safety concerns.
Please be aware that local laws governing tourism facilities in this region differ from those in your home country and not all the accommodation which we use has a fire exit, fire extinguishers or smoke alarms.
TRAFFIC AND DRIVING CONDITIONS:
Depending on where you come from please note that drivers in this part of the world may drive on the opposite side of the road from what you are used to. Look both ways before crossing any road. Be aware that traffic can be a little more chaotic than you might be used to at home.
PETTY THEFT AND PERSONAL SAFETY:
While travelling there is always the risk of pick-pocketing and petty theft, particularly in the more touristy cities. We recommend that you exercise caution when walking alone at night and encourage you to walk together and only on main, well-lit thoroughfares. Be particularly vigilant on public transport. Simple measures like carrying your day pack on your front, not hanging your bag over the back of your chair or on the floor and wearing a money belt will reduce any chance that your valuables should go missing.
You may stay at hotels with unfenced pools and no life guard on duty.
UNFENCED CAMP SITES:
On some trips where you will be staying within a national park, please note that at times you will stay in unfenced camp sites. While this is a fantastic experience, there are a few safety rules that must be adhered to. While staying in national parks it's important that you listen to any advice given by your leader and the park rangers regarding responsible and safe behaviour.
Some hotel balconies don't meet UK standards in terms of the width of the balcony fence being narrower than 10cm.
Please be aware that local laws governing transportation safety may differ from those in the western world or from your home country and not all the transport which we use provides seat belts.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 01 Aug 2015 - 08 Aug 2015 Fully Booked US $1,350 Sale: US $1,215 Closed 08 Aug 2015 - 15 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,182 Book Now 15 Aug 2015 - 22 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $994 Book Now 22 Aug 2015 - 29 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $994 Book Now 05 Sep 2015 - 12 Sep 2015 Available US $1,340 Book Now 12 Sep 2015 - 19 Sep 2015 Available US $1,340 Book Now 26 Sep 2015 - 03 Oct 2015 Available US $1,285 Book Now 03 Oct 2015 - 10 Oct 2015 Available US $1,285 Book Now 10 Oct 2015 - 17 Oct 2015 Available US $1,285 Book Now 24 Oct 2015 - 31 Oct 2015 Available US $1,285 Book Now 14 Nov 2015 - 21 Nov 2015 Available US $1,285 Book Now 26 Dec 2015 - 02 Jan 2016 Available US $1,285 Book Now 09 Jan 2016 - 16 Jan 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 23 Jan 2016 - 30 Jan 2016 Available US $1,390 Book Now 13 Feb 2016 - 20 Feb 2016 Available US $1,390 Book Now 12 Mar 2016 - 19 Mar 2016 Available US $1,390 Book Now 09 Apr 2016 - 16 Apr 2016 Available US $1,340 Book Now 14 May 2016 - 21 May 2016 Available US $1,340 Book Now 04 Jun 2016 - 11 Jun 2016 Available US $1,285 Book Now 02 Jul 2016 - 09 Jul 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 16 Jul 2016 - 23 Jul 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 30 Jul 2016 - 06 Aug 2016 Available US $1,275 Book Now 13 Aug 2016 - 20 Aug 2016 Available US $1,325 Book Now 20 Aug 2016 - 27 Aug 2016 Available US $1,325 Book Now 27 Aug 2016 - 03 Sep 2016 Available US $1,325 Book Now 10 Sep 2016 - 17 Sep 2016 Available US $1,340 Book Now 24 Sep 2016 - 01 Oct 2016 Available US $1,285 Book Now 08 Oct 2016 - 15 Oct 2016 Available US $1,285 Book Now 22 Oct 2016 - 29 Oct 2016 Available US $1,285 Book Now 12 Nov 2016 - 19 Nov 2016 Available US $1,285 Book Now 10 Dec 2016 - 17 Dec 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments