Delta & Victoria
Tent etiquette 101
· Keep it neat – nothing worse than tripping over a backpack in the pitch dark and landing awkwardly on your sleeping friend
· Zip it up every single time, even if you’re busting to pee during the night and will only be gone for 2 seconds – that’s exactly how long it takes a honey badger to get in.
· Share and share alike – if your tent-mate forgot to bring toothpaste, lend them yours or bear the brunt of their morning breath.
(Was Backroads of Botswana)
Day 1 - Pretoria/Johannesburg
Head out to the Burma flea market for any last minute safari must-haves (t-shirts, hats, books) and grab a bite to eat while you're there. You'll find everything from Indian and Chinese to Turkish and South African food.
- Arrive at any time you like and enjoy a day at your leisure
- A transfer from Johannesburg's O.R Tambo International Airport needs to be pre-booked and is strongly recommended
- There is a pre-departure meeting tonight at 6pm
Please note: If you would like to exchange any South African rand, it is advisable to do this today as there will be no time to visit banks tomorrow. The airport is an ideal place to do this with its abundance of ATMs and forex bureaus in the arrival hall.Dinner
Day 2 - Khama Rhino Sanctuary
(Approximate driving time: 7 hours excluding time spent at border; game drive times variable)
About 30 rhinos roam around this 400ha community-based reserve. Don't forget your binoculars, or you'll be getting them confused with big rocks.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Leaving Pretoria early we travel north to Potgietersrus and then continue northwest to the Martins Drift border post
- After exiting South Africa we cross the Limpopo River to enter Botswana before continuing on to the Khama Rhino Sanctuary at Serowe
- Camp inside the sanctuary at Mokongwo Camp, where each site is set out in the atmospheric shade of large mokongwa trees
- Take an afternoon game drive through Khama Rhino Sanctuary, guided by well trained and knowledgeable rangers who are based at the sanctuary
Day 3 - Khama Rhino Sanctuary - Maun
(Approximate driving time: 7 hours)
Up early for our really long drive to Maun (pronounced ma-ooon) so pee before you get in the truck. We also offer a free massage service (it's really bumpy).
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Perhaps enjoy time this afternoon to explore Maun, as well as stock up on supplies
- Tonight we camp just outside Maun, which is our base to prepare for our upcoming Okavango Delta adventure
Day 4-6 - Okavango Delta Excursion - Maun
There's nothing more relaxing than feeling the African sun on your face as you lie back in a mokoro, eyes closed while your expert poler propels you through the calm waters... until a hippo grunts.
- Enjoy a three-day/two-night excursion to the Okavango Delta
- Explore the area by mokoro (dugout canoe) and on foot
- Camping in the wild under the stars of the southern skies
- Take an optional sunset flight over the Okavango Delta in a five-seater plane - one of the best flights in Africa
Please Note: For the two nights in the Okavango Delta you will need to pack clothing and other personal items into a smaller overnight bag, as space is limited. There will be no access to showers and you will be away from the safari vehicle.Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 7-8 - Chobe National Park
(Approximate driving time: 2 hours)
Traffic on the road to Kasane can be pretty intense. Giraffe, ostrich, zebra, and elephant, however, are all pretty courteous road users. Zip around Chobe in 4WDs, spotting heaps of wildlife and brushing up on your photography skills.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Travel to the campsite on the banks of the Chobe River
- Perhaps enjoy an optional sunset boat cruise
- Two days in the region allows ample opportunity to search for much of the wildlife in the Chobe National Park
- Explore the park and experience its inhabitants in open 4WD vehicles on game drives, with the help of local site guides
Day 9-10 - Victoria Falls
(Approximate driving time: 2 hours excluding time spent at border)
Make the most of white-water rafting, bungee jumping, elephant safaris and some more game drives. They'll try and make you wear a yellow poncho at Vic Falls. Don't. This place is far too pretty to have you looking like an idiot in all your photographs.
- Leave Botswana and cross the border into Zimbabwe
- Set up camp for two nights in the Victoria Falls township
- Optional activities here include whitewater rafting, bungee jumping, river boarding and game drives
- View the falls themselves and to explore the nearby craft markets and the town
- Enjoy the many restaurants and bars of Victoria Falls township
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price Kitty Payment Total Price 06 Jun 2013 - 15 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 18 Jul 2013 - 27 Jul 2013 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 08 Aug 2013 - 17 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $747 US $300 US $1,047 Book Now 29 Aug 2013 - 07 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 19 Sep 2013 - 28 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 31 Oct 2013 - 09 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 12 Dec 2013 - 21 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 09 Jan 2014 - 18 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 20 Feb 2014 - 01 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $880 US $300 US $1,180 Book Now 13 Mar 2014 - 22 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $880 US $300 US $1,180 Book Now 03 Apr 2014 - 12 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 15 May 2014 - 24 May 2014 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 05 Jun 2014 - 14 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now 26 Jun 2014 - 05 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $995 US $300 US $1,295 Book Now
Kitty payment is required in cash. It needs to be paid before the end of your trip, in the local stated above. It is generally paid on Day 1, and covers most on-ground expenses. Kitty payments calculated using exchange rates valid on 1 Jan 2012.
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.