Kruger & Coast
One Zulu kingdom, three countires and at least 28 pacyderm, buffalo and exotic cats in between.
Day 1 - Johannesburg
If you arrive early in Jo'burg (or Jozi as the locals call it) head to Nelson Mandela Square for a cool drink and a bit of a jol.
- Arrive in Johannesburg and get to know the city
- The adventure starts with a welcome meeting in the evening
- Perhaps arrive early and spend time exploring the Apartheid Museum, Museum Africa, the Art Gallery or set off on a Gold Reef City and Heritage Mine Tour
Day 2-3 - Kruger National Park
It's time to hunt for the Big Five (and by hunt we mean 'look for'). If you're a wildlife newbie, the Big Five are elephants, lions, buffalos, rhinos and leopards - because they were the toughest to hunt on foot back in the day.
- Travel along the famous Panorama Route through some of the most stunning scenery South Africa has to offer
- Sights en route include God's Window, Bourke's Luck Potholes, Three Rondavels (Sisters) and the magnificent Blyde River Canyon
- Arrive in Kruger National Park and head straight into prime game viewing areas
- Rise early the following day and embark on a morning game drive. Most of the day will be spent game viewing, bird watching and stopping at various waterholes and viewpoints.
- Take an additional night drive with the park guide to spot nocturnal animals and perhaps even a night-time predator or two
Day 4 - Swaziland/Hlane Royal National Park
Gear up for a day of driving, then get some feeling back in your legs on a guided walk among antelope, white rhinos and lions. Beats the gym.
- Take a final slow game drive before exiting Kruger National Park mid-morning
- Travel south-east and enter the Kingdom of Swaziland - nestled between Mozambique, Northern Zululand and Mpumalanga
- Explore the amazing Hlane Royal Nation Park on a guided game walk
- Perhaps make the most of an optional craft market and candle factory visit
Day 5-6 - Mozambique Beach Camp
The only wildlife you'll spot here are dolphins. Although if you happen to see an elephant, alert someone immediately. Or just reconsider that third beer.
- Continue on and enter Mozambique at Kosi Bay
- Jump into some 4x4s to travel on to the seaside village of Ponta Malongane
- Enjoy optional snorkelling, scuba diving and dolphin boat cruises at this unspoilt beach
Day 7-8 - St Lucia Estuary
Take a boat cruise on St Lucia estuary - home to crocodiles, hippos and flamingos. Learn to dance like a Zulu on your overnight homestay and in return you can teach them The Robot.
In the Valley of a Thousand Hills you'll stay with a Zulu family who will entertain you with traditional song and dance. Make sure you enjoy a bit of sorghum home brew in a clay pot.
- Head towards Zululand and the St Lucia Estuary - home to thousands of varieties of birds, mammals and reptiles - with its most popular residents being the hundreds of hippos and crocodiles
- Take a boat cruise on the estuary and perhaps spot hippos, crocodiles and countless birds
- Journey to Valley of a Thousand Hills, the heartland of the Zulu nation
- Gain an insight into the daily life of the rural Zulu people by spending the night in a traditional homestay
Day 9 - Durban
You can take the SkyCar to the top of Moses Mabhida Stadium for panoramic views. The stadium was built for the World Cup so there's lots happening. Spend the rest of your time exploring everything from Indian spice markets, surf beaches, amusement parks, botanical gardens and rooftop farms.
- Travel on to Durban - a tourist magnet thanks to its wealth of golden, sandy beaches and glitzy nightlife
- Visit the Golden Mile, a stretch of fine sands bordered by frothy surf on one side and an attractive beachfront of shops, restaurants and cafes on the other.
- Perhaps spend time visiting the Art Gallery, the Juma Masjid Mosque or the Wet and Wild Theme Park
What to Know
An experienced safari guide and camp cook whilst on safari; all park fees; all camping equipment; 6 nights camping, 1 night hotel and 1 night homestay; transport in custom-built safari vehicle during safari and on foot.
- International flights, local payment, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, visas, pre-tour or post-tour accommodation, all other meals, drinks, sleeping bag, pillow, all optional additional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature, laundry and flights (unless specified).
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price Kitty Payment Total Price 01 Jun 2013 - 09 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $1,145 On Sale Sale: US $859 ZA R3,035 US $1,232 Book Now 27 Jul 2013 - 04 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $1,200 ZA R3,035 US $1,573 Book Now 10 Aug 2013 - 18 Aug 2013 7 Available US $1,200 ZA R3,035 US $1,573 Book Now 14 Sep 2013 - 22 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,200 ZA R3,035 US $1,573 Book Now 28 Sep 2013 - 06 Oct 2013 3 Available US $1,200 ZA R3,035 US $1,573 Book Now 12 Oct 2013 - 20 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 26 Oct 2013 - 03 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 02 Nov 2013 - 10 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 07 Dec 2013 - 15 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 28 Dec 2013 - 05 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,200 ZA R3,035 US $1,573 Book Now 04 Jan 2014 - 12 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 11 Jan 2014 - 19 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 01 Feb 2014 - 09 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 22 Feb 2014 - 02 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 01 Mar 2014 - 09 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 29 Mar 2014 - 06 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 12 Apr 2014 - 20 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 26 Apr 2014 - 04 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,090 ZA R3,035 US $1,463 Book Now 31 May 2014 - 08 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 21 Jun 2014 - 29 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 28 Jun 2014 - 06 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,145 ZA R3,035 US $1,518 Book Now 19 Jul 2014 - 27 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,195 ZA R3,035 US $1,568 Book Now 26 Jul 2014 - 03 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,195 ZA R3,035 US $1,568 Book Now
Kitty payment is required in cash. It needs to be paid before the end of your trip, in the local stated above. It is generally paid on Day 1, and covers most on-ground expenses. Kitty payments calculated using exchange rates valid on 1 Jan 2012.
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.