Made in China
Tiananmen Square can hold one million people. Its the brithplace of Peking Duck. There are 800 buildings inside the Forbidden City. Yeah, we guess you could say Beijing's pretty interesting.
(Was Inland China)
Day 1-2 - Hong Kong
Old Honkers knows how to put on a show. Head to Victoria Harbour at 8pm every night for a 15-minute music, laser light and fireworks display to rival the Olympics opening ceremony.
- A free day, but arrive early if you can - there's plenty to see in Hong Kong
- Pre-departure briefing with your tour guide in the early evening (usually 6 pm)
- Perhaps take in the spectacular Sound and Light Show on the skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island
- Head to Guangzhou (Canton) on a three-hour hydrofoil journey
- Take in the views whilst sailing out of Hong Kong's Victoria Harbour
- Board an overnight six-berth hard-sleeper class train bound for Guilin
Day 3-5 - Yangshuo
Plenty of free time to explore this riverside town and surroundings on bikes and hikes. Xi Jie (West Street) is the perfect spot to relax with a cup of green tea.
- Explore the Yangshuo region on bicycle and by foot - a photographer's paradise
- Hire bikes for half a day and ride past the limestone outcrops that jut up from the surrounding paddy fields
- Stop in the villages and mingle with the locals
- Hike up the famous Moon Hill and view the surrounding countryside
- Plenty of free time to relax in the many cafes and restaurants that line Xi Jie (West Street), or shop for a bargain in the marketplace
- Catch the overnight train to Wuhan
Day 6-9 - Yangtze River Cruise
Time to cruise the Yangtze. See towering cliffs plunge into the river and the huge Three Gorges Dam along the way.
- Travel to Yichang - the gateway city to the massive Three Gorges Dam
- Take a stroll along the banks of the Yangtze River and watch the sunset with the locals
- Embark on a riverboat trip
- Be immersed in the changing scenery - surrounded by sheer cliff faces one minute and passing a thriving city or a deserted town the next
- Make the most of the boat's viewing platform, bar, shop and dining room
- Perhaps take one of the several optional on-shore excursions
- Disembark at Fengdu and drive to the bustling and hilly city of Chongqing and enjoy free time to explore
Day 10-12 - Chengdu - Giant Buddha
You’re in for a cute-fest today when we stop by the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base. Challenge of the day: fitting Dafo, the world’s largest image of Buddha, into your camera screen.
- Travel to Chengdu, capital of Sichuan, a province famous for its spicy food
- For dinner, why not try the local delicacy - Sichuan hotpot
- Visit Leshan, situated on the shores of the Min River
- View the Giant Buddha (Dafo), located at the convergence of the Dadu and Min rivers
- Drive out to the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base and seize a rare chance to glimpse this cute and cuddly icon
- Board a sleeper train bound for Xian
Day 13-14 - Xian - Terracotta Warriors
Two massive China drawcards over the next couple of days – the 8000-strong army of Terracotta Warriors and some of the best dumplings in China in Xian’s Muslin Quater.
- Arrive in Xian, the capital of Shaanxi province
- Explore the awesome army of Terracotta Warriors
- Enjoy free time to wander around this historical city
- Perhaps swing by the Muslim Quarter - a fascinating place to visit
- Why not cycle along the top of the ancient city walls or climb the Bell Tower
- Embark on the sleeper train to Beijing
Day 15-17 - Beijing - Great Wall
See Beijing at its best – Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and head a little out of town to the Great Wall. Finish up things on Day 17.
- Explore many of Beijing's main attractions
- After entering through an archway beyond Tiananmen Gate, we spend the morning exploring The Forbidden City
- Take a walk along the Great Wall
- Survey the spectacular surrounding countryside from the Wall - the surrounding views are amazing
- Enjoy ample free time to discover the many other sights of Beijing, such as the Summer Palace or the Temple of Heaven
- The trip ends this morning in Beijing. You can depart at any time
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking Chinese tour guide throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• 2-night Yangtze River cruise through the Three Gorges. Accommodation in a twin-share cabin, with private facilities, on a tourist-class riverboat.
• Two days exploring Yangshuo on bicycle and by foot including Moon Hill and stops at local villages.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where applicable): Giant Buddha (Dafo), Terracotta Warriors and Beijing.
• Visit to Chengdu’s Giant Panda Breeding Research Base.
• Walk on a remote section of the Great Wall.
• Free time to explore Hong Kong, Chongqing, Yangshuo, Xian and Beijing.
• Hydrofoil from Hong Kong to Guangzhou (Canton).
• Overnight trains from Guangzhou to Guilin, Guilin to Wuhan, Chengdu to Xian and Xian to Beijing. Accommodation in six-berth, air-conditioned cabins.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 26 May 2013 - 11 Jun 2013 7+ Closed US $2,150 Closed 09 Jun 2013 - 25 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $2,150 Book Now 07 Jul 2013 - 23 Jul 2013 5 Available US $2,150 Book Now 21 Jul 2013 - 06 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 On Sale Sale: US $1,828 Promo code: 1355 Book Now 04 Aug 2013 - 20 Aug 2013 7 Available US $2,150 On Sale Sale: US $1,828 Promo code: 1355 Book Now 18 Aug 2013 - 03 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 On Sale Sale: US $1,613 Book Now 01 Sep 2013 - 17 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 15 Sep 2013 - 01 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 29 Sep 2013 - 15 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 13 Oct 2013 - 29 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 10 Nov 2013 - 26 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 22 Dec 2013 - 07 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 05 Jan 2014 - 21 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,900 Book Now 02 Feb 2014 - 18 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,900 Book Now 16 Feb 2014 - 04 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,900 Book Now 16 Mar 2014 - 01 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 30 Mar 2014 - 15 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 29 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 27 Apr 2014 - 13 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 11 May 2014 - 27 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 10 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 08 Jun 2014 - 24 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now 22 Jun 2014 - 08 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.