Made in China
Tiananmen Square can hold one million people. Its the brithplace of Peking Duck. There are 800 buildings inside the Forbidden City. Yeah, we guess you could say Beijing's pretty interesting.
(Was Inland China)
Day 1-2 - Hong Kong
Old Honkers knows how to put on a show. Head to Victoria Harbour at 8pm every night for a 15-minute music, laser light and fireworks display to rival the Olympics opening ceremony.
- A free day, but arrive early if you can - there's plenty to see in Hong Kong
- Pre-departure briefing with your tour guide in the early evening (usually 6 pm)
- Perhaps take in the spectacular Sound and Light Show on the skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island
- Head to China on a train to Shenzhen
- Board an overnight six-berth hard-sleeper class train bound for Guilin
Day 3-5 - Yangshuo
Plenty of free time to explore this riverside town and surroundings on bikes and hikes. Xi Jie (West Street) is the perfect spot to relax with a cup of green tea.
- Explore the Yangshuo region on bicycle and by foot - a photographer's paradise
- Hire bikes for half a day and ride past the limestone outcrops that jut up from the surrounding paddy fields
- Stop in the villages and mingle with the locals
- Hike up the famous Moon Hill and view the surrounding countryside
- Plenty of free time to relax in the many cafes and restaurants that line Xi Jie (West Street), or shop for a bargain in the marketplace
- Catch the overnight train to Wuhan
Day 6-9 - Yangtze River Cruise
Time to cruise the Yangtze. See towering cliffs plunge into the river and the huge Three Gorges Dam along the way.
- Travel to Yichang - the gateway city to the massive Three Gorges Dam
- Take a stroll along the banks of the Yangtze River and watch the sunset with the locals
- Boat our riverboat
- Cruise up the Yangtze
- Be immersed in the changing scenery - surrounded by sheer cliff faces one minute and passing a thriving city or a deserted town the next
- Make the most of the boat's viewing platform, bar, shop and dining room
- Perhaps take one of the several optional on-shore excursions
Day 10-12 - Chengdu - Giant Buddha
You’re in for a cute-fest today when we stop by the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base. Challenge of the day: fitting Dafo, the world’s largest image of Buddha, into your camera screen.
- Disembark at the bustling and hilly city of Chongqing and enjoy free time to explore
- Travel to Chengdu, capital of Sichuan, a province famous for its spicy food
- For dinner, why not try the local delicacy - Sichuan hotpot
- Visit Leshan, situated on the shores of the Min River
- View the Giant Buddha (Dafo), located at the convergence of the Dadu and Min rivers
- Drive out to the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base and seize a rare chance to glimpse this cute and cuddly icon
- Board a sleeper train bound for Xian
Day 13-14 - Xian - Terracotta Warriors
Two massive China drawcards over the next couple of days – the 8000-strong army of Terracotta Warriors and some of the best dumplings in China in Xian’s Muslin Quater.
- Arrive in Xian, the capital of Shaanxi province
- Explore the awesome army of Terracotta Warriors
- Enjoy free time to wander around this historical city
- Perhaps swing by the Muslim Quarter - a fascinating place to visit
- Why not cycle along the top of the ancient city walls or climb the Bell Tower
- Embark on the sleeper train to Beijing
Day 15-17 - Beijing - Great Wall
See Beijing at its best – Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and head a little out of town to the Great Wall. Finish up things on Day 17.
- Explore many of Beijing's main attractions
- After entering through an archway beyond Tiananmen Gate, we spend the morning exploring The Forbidden City
- Take a walk along the Great Wall
- Survey the spectacular surrounding countryside from the Wall - the surrounding views are amazing
- Enjoy ample free time to discover the many other sights of Beijing, such as the Summer Palace or the Temple of Heaven
- The trip ends this morning in Beijing. You can depart at any time
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking Chinese tour guide throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• 4-night Yangtze River cruise through the Three Gorges. Accommodation in a twin-share cabin, with private facilities, on a tourist-class riverboat.
• Two days exploring Yangshuo on bicycle and by foot including Moon Hill and stops at local villages.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where applicable): Giant Buddha (Dafo), Terracotta Warriors and Beijing.
• Visit to Chengdu’s Giant Panda Breeding Research Base.
• Walk on a beautiful section of the Great Wall.
• Free time to explore Hong Kong, Yangshuo, Xian and Beijing.
• Overnight trains from Shenzhen to Guilin, Guilin to Wuhan, Chengdu to Xian and Xian to Beijing. Accommodation in six-berth, air-conditioned cabins.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 22 Dec 2013 - 07 Jan 2014 7 Request US $2,150 On Sale Sale: US $1,827 Book Now 05 Jan 2014 - 21 Jan 2014 6 Request US $1,900 On Sale Sale: US $1,615 Book Now 02 Feb 2014 - 18 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,780 On Sale Sale: US $1,531 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 16 Feb 2014 - 04 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,900 On Sale Sale: US $1,634 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 30 Mar 2014 - 15 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,780 On Sale Sale: US $1,531 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 29 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,780 On Sale Sale: US $1,531 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 11 May 2014 - 27 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,780 On Sale Sale: US $1,531 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 10 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,150 On Sale Sale: US $1,849 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 10 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,780 On Sale Sale: US $1,531 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 03 Aug 2014 - 19 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,835 On Sale Sale: US $1,579 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 14 Sep 2014 - 30 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $1,885 On Sale Sale: US $1,622 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 01 Feb 2015 - 17 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $1,780 Book Now 29 Mar 2015 - 14 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $1,780 Book Now 12 Apr 2015 - 28 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $1,780 Book Now 10 May 2015 - 26 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,780 Book Now 02 Aug 2015 - 18 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $1,835 Book Now 13 Sep 2015 - 29 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $1,885 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Made in China
Ilhwan - New Zealand, 9 Dec, 2012
Made in China
Marina - New Zealand, 9 Dec, 2012