South China, See
Chicken without a sex life, spiced salt blows up pig hand, hot temptation of frog, palace spicy chicken explosion... they sound like strange animal diseases but in fact, they're all items we've spotted on Chinglish menus.
(Was Iconic China)
Day 1 - Shanghai
The Bund, Art Deco buildings Yuyuan Gardens blah blah blah...dumplings!
- Arrive in Shanghai and enjoy free time to explore
- Pre-departure briefing with your tour guide in the early evening (approx. 6 pm)
Day 2 - Tulou VillageTravel on a high speed train from Shanghai to the picturesque Fujian countryside to a Tulou Village. This area is home to the Hakka people, who traditionally live in round, walled villages or communal houses ("tulou") with many families and generations of the same clan living together. Shanghai to Yongding (approx 10hrs travelling time, followed by a 1 hour transfer to Tulou village).Accommodation is very basic in local style. It can get quite cold at night in some months so please ensure you bring warm clothes. Washing facilities may be limited, with communal toilets outside of the rooms. We have the option to try some simple local dishes for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow which may be quite different from what you are used to, but certainly amazingly authentic! The area has been developed for domestic tourism recently and sees lots of day trippers, but few people stay overnight so we will have an epic local experience while here!
Day 3-4 - Xiamen
Before we leave the Tolou Village , we will hike with a local guide to viewing points where we can see the structures of the walled villages from above, hear a bit about their history and the unique Hakka culture! In the afternoon of Day 3 we travel to the coastal city of Xiamen which lies just across the strait from Taiwan for a total journey of over 1000km.
Formerly known as Amoy, Xiamen is the capital of Fujian province and has a rich colonial history evident in the city's buildings and gardens. It's also home to some of China's best universities and has a vibrant student culture. You will have Day 4 as a free day, we suggest you jump on a ferry and head over to Gulang Yu, an island crammed full of historic mansions and villas easily navigable on bike or foot. Visit the Xiamen University campus with is landscaped grounds and surrounding trendy bars and cafes for a chat with some local students. Or traipse up the steps to Nanputuo Temple, one of the most important and active Buddhist sites in the region. Pop into the Overseas Chinese Museum - many ethnic Chinese in Singapore and further afield were originally from Fujian province.
Day 5-7 - Yangshuo
An early start today as we travel to Xiamen Airport and catch a flight to Guilin (approx 90 min) and from there transfer to Yangshuo (approx 90 mins).
You can't come to Yangshuo without trying the famous beer fish. Carp (yes, we know, just stick with us) is fried skin-side down and tossed with beer, pickled chilli, garlic, ginger, oyster sauce and spring onions. Spend two days exploring the Yangshuo region on bicycle and by foot
- Ride bikes past the limestone outcrops that jut up from the paddy fields on the way to Moon Hill.
- Perhaps opt to climb Moon Hill or explore some of the caves in the area, such as Black Buddha and New Water
- Stop in the villages en route and mingle with the locals and enjoy plenty of free time to relax in the many cafes and restaurants that line Xi Jie (West Street)
Day 8-10 - Longji Rice Terraces
These are the rice terraces that you see on postcards - only bigger and more awesome! You'll need to trek for the best part of a day but get to meet some amazing village folks and get some great views.
- Travel by public bus to the Longji region via Guilin and Longsheng (approx 4.5 hrs). Pack an overnight bag for our two night stay here as we leave our main luggage at the train station to pick up again on our return.
- Hike through the terraces to visit local hilltribe communities and learn about village life. Expect to walk around 5 hours on our second day here although actual trekking times will depend on the location of our accommodation and the fitness of the group.
- In Longji, we stay in local guesthouses.
- Bus back to Guilin (approx 3 hrs)
- Take an overnight hard sleeper train to Shenzhen - gateway to Hong Kong (approx 13 hrs).
Day 11-12 - Hong Kong
Grab a bargain at Stanley Market or maybe ride to Victoria Park for epic city views and cap it all off with high tea at the Peninsula.
- Arrive in Shenzhen and catch a train to Hong Kong, taking in the skyline of the city en route
- Free time on arrival - perhaps take a funicular ride up to Victoria Peak and enjoy views over the city, visit the market or spend time shopping
- Get together for an optional final group dinner or enjoy some of the many bars and nightclubs around town
- Watch the free Sound and Light Show on the skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island
- The trip ends this morning in Hong Kong. You can depart at any time
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking Chinese tour guide throughout the tour and local site guides at some sites.
• Visit the coastal city of Xiamen.
• Visit traditional Tolou Hakka dwelling.
• Explore the mystical countryside around Yangshuo.
• Hike through the rice terraces of Longji.
• Fly from Xiamen to Guilin.
• Overnight trains from Guilin to Shenzhen. Accommodation in six-berth, air-conditioned cabins.
- International flights, departure taxes, visas, insurance, meals unless indicated, drinks, optional additional tours or activities during free time, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 18 Mar 2014 - 29 Mar 2014 7+ Closed US $1,495 On Sale Sale: US $1,121 Closed 01 Apr 2014 - 12 Apr 2014 7 Request US $1,495 On Sale Sale: US $1,121 Book Now 29 Apr 2014 - 10 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 13 May 2014 - 24 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 24 Jun 2014 - 05 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 08 Jul 2014 - 19 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 22 Jul 2014 - 02 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 05 Aug 2014 - 16 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 19 Aug 2014 - 30 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 02 Sep 2014 - 13 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 16 Sep 2014 - 27 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 23 Sep 2014 - 04 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 30 Sep 2014 - 11 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 21 Oct 2014 - 01 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 04 Nov 2014 - 15 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 25 Nov 2014 - 06 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 06 Jan 2015 - 17 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 20 Jan 2015 - 31 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 03 Feb 2015 - 14 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 24 Feb 2015 - 07 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 17 Mar 2015 - 28 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 31 Mar 2015 - 11 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 28 Apr 2015 - 09 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 12 May 2015 - 23 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 02 Jun 2015 - 13 Jun 2015 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 23 Jun 2015 - 04 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 07 Jul 2015 - 18 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 21 Jul 2015 - 01 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $1,540 Book Now 04 Aug 2015 - 15 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 18 Aug 2015 - 29 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 01 Sep 2015 - 12 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $1,585 Book Now 15 Sep 2015 - 26 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 29 Sep 2015 - 10 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 20 Oct 2015 - 31 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $1,495 Book Now 03 Nov 2015 - 14 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 24 Nov 2015 - 05 Dec 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
South China, See
Shirlee - Australia, 5 May, 2012
Absolutely loved this trip! Jacky and Bruce were both great, very informative and went above and beyond their duties! The Silk Caravan was the perfect trip, probably a bit off the beaten path compared to the other China trips offered as we saw very few foreigners once we left Xi'An. I think this was a great route to take and I absolutely loved Dunhuang and Kasghar. Will definitely be heading back to China with Gecko in the near future!