The Republic of China Uncensored
From Peking duck to fried pork dumplings, a Chinese feed is one of life’s pleasures. Please note: rooster blood, duck tongues and scorpions on sticks are optional.
(Was China Adventurer)
Day 1-2 - Beijing - Great Wall
To say Beijing is crowed might be the understatement of the century. You could squeeze the entire population of Australia into Beijing alone. That's around 20 million people for those playing at home.
Arrive at any time and explore Beijing under your own steam
Pre-departure briefing with your tour guide in the early evening (approx. 6 pm)
- Spend a morning exploring The Forbidden City
- Take a walk along the Great Wall
- Survey the spectacular surrounding countryside from the wall - the surrounding views are amazing
- Enjoy ample free time to explore the many other sights of Beijing, such as the Summer Palace or the Temple of Heaven
Day 3-5 - Xian - Terracotta Warriors
After a short flight to Xian, pop in and pick out your favourite Terracotta Warrior (there are about 1800 to choose from). Your dumpling tour of China begins when you hit the Muslim Quarter for some of the city's best.
- Arrive in Xian, the capital of Shaanxi province
- Explore the awesome army of Terracotta Warriors
- Enjoy free time to wander around this historical city
- Perhaps swing by the Muslim Quarter - a fascinating place to visit
- Why not cycle along the top of the ancient city walls or climb the Bell Tower
- Embark on a six-berth hard-class sleeper train to Chengdu
Day 6-7 - Chengdu
Get up close to the pandas at Chengdu's Giant Panda Breeding Reseach Base. It's impossible not to feel a bit of small man syndrome at Dafo, the world's largest Buddha statue.
- Arrive in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan, a province famous for its spicy food
- For dinner, why not try the local delicacy - Sichuan hotpot
- Visit Leshan on a day trip, situated on the shores of the Min River
- View the Giant Buddha (Dafo), located at the convergence of the Dadu and Min rivers
- Drive out to the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base and seize a rare chance to glimpse this cute and cuddly icon
Day 8-9 - Shanghai
For your obligatory Apple, Gucci and Nike knock-offs head to Shanghai's Fake Market. Hey, at least they're being honest. Phonetically the address sounds like: "Nan jing she loo woo by bah shih how." Handy if you're getting a cab.
- Fly to Shanghai
- Take a stroll along the famous river waterfront known as The Bund
- Visit the Yu Yuan Gardens, a fine example of a classical Ming Dynasty garden
- Enjoy plenty of free time to visit any of the fascinating museums or the many shopping arcades
- Cut loose in some of Shanghai's many bars, restaurants and nightclubs
Day 10-11 - Yangshuo
Google "chilled out cities in China" and Yangshuo will be at the top of the list. Unless you've spelled 'cities' with a 'k', in which case you're probably looking at pictures of cats wearing sunnies.
- Fly to Guilin and travel by bus to Yangshuo
- Explore the Yangshuo region on bicycle and by foot - a photographer's paradise
- Hire bikes for half a day and ride past the limestone outcrops that jut up from the surrounding paddy fields
- Stop in the villages and mingle with the locals
- Hike up the famous Moon Hill and view the surrounding countryside
- Plenty of free time to relax in the many cafes and restaurants that line Xi Jie (West Street), or shop for a bargain in the marketplace
- Return to Guilin and catch an overnight train to Guangzhou
Day 12-13 - Hong Kong
Poke around the night market, get lost in the backstreets (but not too lost) and eat at tiny hole-in-the-wall places. If you're down at Victoria Harbour about 8pm and miss the huge fireworks show then you're just not paying attention.
- Head to Hong Kong on a hydrofoil journey
- Take in the views whilst sailing into Hong Kong's Victoria Harbour
- Perhaps take in the spectacular Sound and Light Show on the skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island
- Take a funicular ride up to Victoria Peak for magnificent views over the city
- Why not wander through the Stanley Market
- Perhaps head out to enjoy some of the many bars and nightclubs around town
Day 13The trip ends this morning in Hong Kong. You can depart at any time
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking Chinese tour guide throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where applicable): Beijing, Terracotta Warriors, Chengdu Panda Conservatory, Leshan Buddha and Shanghai, Yangshuo and Hong Kong.
• Walk on a remote section of the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
• Free time to explore Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
• Flights from Beijing to Xian and Chengdu to Shanghai.
• Flight from Shanghai to Guilin.
• Overnight train from Xian to Chengdu. Accommodation in six-berth, air-conditioned cabins.
• Overnight train from Guilin to Guangzhou. Accommodation in six-berth, air-conditioned cabins.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 29 May 2013 - 10 Jun 2013 7 Request US $2,280 On Sale Sale: US $1,914 Book Now 03 Jul 2013 - 15 Jul 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 On Sale Sale: US $2,061 Promo code: 1355 Book Now 31 Jul 2013 - 12 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 21 Aug 2013 - 02 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 On Sale Sale: US $1,914 Book Now 11 Sep 2013 - 23 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 02 Oct 2013 - 14 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 23 Oct 2013 - 04 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 06 Nov 2013 - 18 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 13 Nov 2013 - 25 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 04 Dec 2013 - 16 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 25 Dec 2013 - 06 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 08 Jan 2014 - 20 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,105 Book Now 15 Jan 2014 - 27 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,105 Book Now 26 Feb 2014 - 10 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 12 Mar 2014 - 24 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 19 Mar 2014 - 31 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 09 Apr 2014 - 21 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 30 Apr 2014 - 12 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 14 May 2014 - 26 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 21 May 2014 - 02 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now 11 Jun 2014 - 23 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,280 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.