Tiger Leaping Gorge Tightarse Trip
The legend behind the name Tiger Leaping Gorge is pretty obvious. Instead we'll tell you about trekking to a hillside monastery and exploring one of the world's deepest gorges. Chill out in laidback villages of Dali, Shaxi and Lijiang.
Day 1 - Kunming
It's known as the 'city of eternal spring'. Pretty self explanatory.
- Arrive at any time in Kunming
- Enjoy an informal Chinese language lesson
- Perhaps visit local sights such as Green Lake Park, Minority Village Park or the Stone Forest
- Pre-departure meeting in the evening
Day 2-3 - Dali
Very peaceful, so use your inside voice. Lots of snow-capped mountains and lakes.
- Visit Dali - a favourite destination for foreign travellers and backpackers
- Take a boat trip on Erhai Lake
- Hire a bike to get out into the countryside or go cycling alongside the lake
- Walk out to the famous Three Pagodas
- Bai minority are much in evidence at Xizhou, 18 km north of Dali Ancient Town
- Visit Cang Shan park on a cable car
Day 4-5 - Shaxi
Put your feet up, clean your memory card, catch some zzz's and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Travel by public transport to Shaxi
- Visit Xingjiao Temple and get a feel for the history behind this little village.
- Perhaps mix with the locals on the town square where it's not rare to see impromptu dancing, singing and games
Day 6-7 - Shangri-La
They changed the name of this town from Zhongdian to Shangri-La in 2001 to increase tourism. see if it worked.
- Head towards Zhongdian, or as it now known, Shangri-La
- Perhaps visit the Ganden Sumtseling Gompa, a 300-year-old Tibetan Buddhist monastery complex
- Why not hire a bike and ride out to the countryside, or head out to Bita Lake
- Take an optional day trip to Yunnan Mountain Heritage Foundation
- Seize the opportunity to share a meal with a Tibetan family
Day 8-9 - Tiger Leaping Gorge
See, this is why we told you to clear some space on your memory card.
- Trek through the magnificent Tiger Leaping Gorge - one of the deepest gorges in the world
- Be rewarded by awe-inspiring views
Day 10-11 - Lijiang
Old Town is the place to wander, people watch, shop, eat and drink. There's a bonfire each night in the central plaza.
- Travel by public transport to Lijiang
- Explore the Mu Palace, enjoy a traditional Naxi music culture show or wander around the old town and make a wish like the locals do - by sending a candle down one of the many canals on a delicate flower-shaped boat
- Try to catch a performance of the Naxi Orchestra
- Perhaps take a day trip to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
- Optional visit to the Mu Family Mansion, once home to one of the tribal leaders of Lijiang
- Why not jump on a bike and ride to the tranquil villages of Baihe and Shuhe
- Head to the train station to take an overnight hard sleeper train to Kunming (approx 8 hrs)
Day 12-13 - Kunming
Don't leave without trying Over-the-Bridge rice noodles, steam potted chicken and Yiliang roasted duck.
- Spend a whole free day to spend as you wish before meeting in the evening for an optional final night dinner
What to Know
• Expert English-speaking Chinese tour guide throughout the tour.
• Informal Chinese language lessons.
• All transportation and accommodation.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 14 Jul 2013 - 26 Jul 2013 5 Available US $1,450 On Sale Sale: US $1,233 Book Now 28 Jul 2013 - 09 Aug 2013 7 Available US $1,450 On Sale Sale: US $1,233 Book Now 25 Aug 2013 - 06 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,520 Book Now 08 Sep 2013 - 20 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,520 Book Now 22 Sep 2013 - 04 Oct 2013 5 Available US $1,520 Book Now 06 Oct 2013 - 18 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 13 Oct 2013 - 25 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 20 Oct 2013 - 01 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 25 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 27 Apr 2014 - 09 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 11 May 2014 - 23 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 06 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 08 Jun 2014 - 20 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 22 Jun 2014 - 04 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 06 Jul 2014 - 18 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 03 Aug 2014 - 15 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 17 Aug 2014 - 29 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 31 Aug 2014 - 12 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 14 Sep 2014 - 26 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 28 Sep 2014 - 10 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 12 Oct 2014 - 24 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 19 Oct 2014 - 31 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now 26 Oct 2014 - 07 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,380 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.
What to know
This trip is run by our sister company, Intrepid.