Turkey: Meat and Stuffing
Think of this trip as a Turkish kebab with the lot. Chunks of Istanbul’s Old Town, dollops of Ayvalik charm, only the freshest of Cappadocia garnishings and Pamukkale hot springs – all slathered in generous lashings of Turquoise Coast sailing scenery. Alternatively, just think of it as a trip.
We know you’re dying to taste a real Turkish kebab. But to save confusion, do a bit of research before you make your order because there’s quite a few to choose from:
· Ramadan kebab – grilled meat served on a pide with garlic, tomato, yogurt and mint
· Köfte kebab – grilled lamb and herb meatballs on a skewer
· Testi kebab – a cross between a stew and a pie with meat, pearl onions and vegetables cooked in a clay pot then sealed with dough (no testes were harmed in the making of this kebab)
Please note this trip will run on an alternative itinerary until 31 May 2015. Please see Important notes for full details
Day 1-2 - Istanbul
YouTube ‘Istanbul ice cream’. Laugh. Then order one as soon as you arrive. Note: Turkish ice cream is nothing like what you get at home. It's stretchy and doesn't melt.
- Arrive in Istanbul and perhaps visit the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market
- Meet the tour guide and fellow travel companions at an evening welcome meeting
- Head out on an optional group dinner, a good introduction to some fabulous Turkish cuisine in a street-side cafe
- Take a guided tour of the treasures of the Old Town including the the iconic Blue Mosque and the Hippodrome
- Explore under your own steam in the afternoon
- Perhaps barter for a bargain, enjoy a cruise on the Bosphorus (optional) or indulge in a traditional hamam (Turkish bath) (optional)
Day 3 - Istanbul - Gallipoli - Eceabat
Spend a bit of time wandering the battlefields, monuments and cemeteries at Gallipoli. It’s pretty overwhelming.
- Head for the shores of Gallipoli, a place of immense significance for Australians and New Zealanders
- Its about a 5-6 journey today
Day 4 - Selcuk
Today we travel from Canakkale to Selcuk by local bus.
Head out on the optional excursion to Sirince and try the local wineBreakfast
Day 5 - Selcuk
Walk off those kebabs in Ephesus, the world’s biggest Greco-Roman ruins.
- Explore nearby Ephesus - perhaps the greatest Greco-Roman site in the world
- Walk the marble streets once trodden by Antony and Cleopatra and marvel at the gymnasium, baths and the restored Library of Celsus
Day 6 - Selçuk – Pamukkale
Take a dip in the hot springs at Pamukkale. Apparently the water helps high blood pressure, strokes, rheumatism and skin problems. Hence all the old dudes.
- Travel to Pamukkale with its natural pools, shelves and ridges
- Perhaps explore the ancient city of Hierapolis, known for its abundance of temples and religious structures
- (appx 3 hour train trip)
Day 7 - Pamukkale – Fethiye
We know you hate long bus trips (appx 4.5 hours), so we’ll get back in your good books with a swim at Oludeniz - a lagoon bestowed with the colour of a Ken Done painting.
- Head for the coast and take a local bus to Ölüdeniz, described as 'the Eden bestowed by God to the world'
- Plenty of time to enjoy a swim at the three-kilometre-long beach
Day 8 - Southern coast cruising
Don't worry, the clear Mediterranean water makes it easy to find your bikini bottoms if they go flying when you leap off the boat.
Breakfast | Dinner
- Board a boat for a memorable voyage along the Turquoise Coast and view some of the most stunning coastal scenery in the world
- Cruise to the sunken cities around Kekova Island from where remains of mysterious civilisations can be viewed
- Walk up to nearby Simena Castle, which offers spectacular views of the surrounding bays and islands
- Perhaps explore some of the numerous Lycian rock tombs
- Spend some time on the azure waters of the Mediterranean Sea
- Swim and explore the natural and historical sites along the way
- Indulge in feasts before being lulled to sleep by Mediterranean breezes
Day 9-10 - Antalya
Three pics that will sum up Antalya: Konyaalti beach, the Taurus Mountains, the marina at Kaleici (old city). Three snacks you need to try: pide, kofte salonu and mussels stuffed with rice.Breakfast | Dinner
Day 11-12 - Cappadocia
Definitely take the optional hot air balloon trip over Cappadocia at sunrise. Watch a Whirling Dervish performance – a group of men who have dedicated themselves to a life of poverty and spinning around (optional).
- Take a walk in Love Valley or a stroll in Pigeon Valley; your tour Leader will select a valley as each Leader has their own unique paths to discover.
- Enjoy free time to experience Göreme’s nightlife
- Perhaps attend a traditional Whirling Dervish 'Sema' performance
- drive time today is appx 7 hours
- Visit the underground city of Derinkuyu – a man-made marvel that descends 60m below the surface
Day 13 - Nemrut
Stare into the eyes of the colossal stone heads atop Mt Nemrut (also known as Nemrut Dagi) and have the camera ready for some stunning sunset shots. These creations adorn the tomb of King Antiochus, a warlord and king who lived thousands of years ago.Breakfast
Day 14 - 15 - Kahta - Urfa
Today we drive (appx 7 hours) across the stunning Eastern Taurus Mountains to Kahta.
Experience local life at a homestay in Kahta. Enjoya feast prepared by our friendly hosts and learn about the local culture
Day 15 - Urfa
Here you will also find sacred pools filled with well-fed carp. kee an eye out for a white one, as legend states you will go to heaven if you see it. you might also like to explpre the Urfa Museum, or the wondrous medieval bazaar where villagers make their way daily to sell their local produce. In your free time wander the meandering alleywas to discover some of the fine old Urfa houses. An interesting blend of Turkish, Kurdish and Arabic influences intertwin here to make your visit a magical one.Breakfast | Dinner
Day 16 - Mardin
Jump on board a local bus to Mardin. Orientate yourself with a walk around the city beore visiting the magnificent Deyrulzafaran Monastery. Located off the beaten track, this historical landmark is a real treasure and well worth exploring. Time permitting we'll venture over to Sabanci City Museum afterwardsBreakfast
Day 17-18 - Istanbul
Head to Istiklal Caddesi, the main shopping area, and let the crowds carry you along. Celebrate the end of your trip with raw oysters, crispy potato spirals, pistachio ice cream and fresh roasted corn.
- The trip ends after breakfast, but there is plenty more to see, eat, buy, watch and do here
What to Know
Local tour guide, all transportation, accommodation and some meals as indicated. Entrance fees for Ephesus and Derinkuyu only.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, entrance fees, visas, pre-tour or post-tour accommodation, additional meals (including some meals on boat), drinks, optional sightseeing tours, travel insurance, tips, laundry and other items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 23 Apr 2015 - 10 May 2015 Fully Booked US $2,325 Contact us 27 Apr 2015 - 14 May 2015 3 places left US $2,165 Book Now 04 May 2015 - 21 May 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,881 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 11 May 2015 - 28 May 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,701 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 18 May 2015 - 04 Jun 2015 3 places left smokin' deal Sale: US $2,012 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 25 May 2015 - 11 Jun 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,701 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 08 Jun 2015 - 25 Jun 2015 Fully Booked smokin' deal Sale: US $2,030 Promo code: 11625 Contact us 22 Jun 2015 - 09 Jul 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,571 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 29 Jun 2015 - 16 Jul 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,863 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 06 Jul 2015 - 23 Jul 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,863 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 20 Jul 2015 - 06 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,917 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 27 Jul 2015 - 13 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,917 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 03 Aug 2015 - 20 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,931 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 10 Aug 2015 - 27 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,931 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 17 Aug 2015 - 03 Sep 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,931 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 07 Sep 2015 - 24 Sep 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,971 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 21 Sep 2015 - 08 Oct 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,931 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 28 Sep 2015 - 15 Oct 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,931 Promo code: 11625 Book Now 05 Oct 2015 - 22 Oct 2015 Available US $2,165 Book Now 19 Oct 2015 - 05 Nov 2015 Available US $2,090 Book Now 26 Oct 2015 - 12 Nov 2015 Available US $2,090 Book Now 14 Mar 2016 - 31 Mar 2016 Available US $2,050 Book Now 21 Mar 2016 - 07 Apr 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 28 Mar 2016 - 14 Apr 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 04 Apr 2016 - 21 Apr 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 11 Apr 2016 - 28 Apr 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 18 Apr 2016 - 05 May 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 25 Apr 2016 - 12 May 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 02 May 2016 - 19 May 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 09 May 2016 - 26 May 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 16 May 2016 - 02 Jun 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 23 May 2016 - 09 Jun 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 30 May 2016 - 16 Jun 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 06 Jun 2016 - 23 Jun 2016 Available US $1,970 Book Now 13 Jun 2016 - 30 Jun 2016 Available US $2,050 Book Now 20 Jun 2016 - 07 Jul 2016 Available US $2,050 Book Now 27 Jun 2016 - 14 Jul 2016 Available US $2,125 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Turkey: Meat and Stuffing
Lucy - Australia, 3 June, 2014
The trip was a complete delight. The tour leader, Emir Sagir was really what made the trip so special. Nothing was too much trouble and his kindness and sense of humor meant that everyone was always having a great time.
Turkey: Meat and Stuffing
Margaret - Australia, 11 May, 2013
This was a fast moving tour with many places visited. But strangely enough there was also plenty of time to unwind and relax. Really gave an overall picture of Turkey. Highly recommended.
- Page 1 of 8
What to know
The 23 Apr 2014 departure ties in with ANZAC day at Gallipoli and the night of Day 2 will be spent camping in Anzac Cove. This departure has a surcharge.