Tales of Rock & Massala Chai
Fill your face with momos in Kathmandu and get ready for a HUGE trip. Rafting, beach camps, Pokhara lake chill times, Annapurna trek (awesome), animal guys in Chitwan National Park, jungles, Ganges boat rides in Varanasi, Taj Mahal (ie the epicest of epics), village markets, Jaipur, Delhi… BOOM.
Hard bits: Trekking the Annapurnas. Fun bit: whitewater rafting in thermally heated water. Best bit: practicing your Princess Di pose at the Taj Mahal.
Day 1 - Kathmandu
Momo is not to be confused with muumuu. One is a tasty Nepalese dumpling, the other is a gigantic, floral print dress last seen on Homer Simpson.
Feed your spiritual side at Bodhnath Stupa, one of the biggest Buddhist shrines in the world.
Then feed your hungry side at Yak Cafe (not very popular with actual yaks.
If arriving early, perhaps wander down to Kathmandu's Durbar Square.
Pre-departure meeting and optional group dinner in the evening.Hotel Shakti or similar
Day 2-3 - Rafting and Pokhara
Enjoy a morning drive over the rim of the Kathmandu Valley and, weather permitting, views of the Ganesh, Manaslu and Annapurna ranges.
Arrive in Charaudi for an exciting white water raft on the Trisuli River.
Hit the water and enjoy the thrill of the rapids aptly named Ladies Delight, Upset and Surprise.
Camp on the beach enjoy dinner by the river.
More fun on the river including negotiating the Tea Pot.
In late morning, end rafting at Simaltal enjoy a light lunch and drive to Pokhara (4hrs) and arrive in Pokhara in the afternoon.
Chill out at the lakeside cafes.Tulsi Hotel or similarBreakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 4-6 - Annapurna Trek
We'll do about 5 hours trekking each day (you'll walk off those momo in no time), following the Modi Khola River to Ghandruk. Stay in lodges, meet villagers and try to refrain from filling up your memory card in the first hour.
Stay in lodges along the way as we follow the Modi Khola River Valley to Ghandruk and Tolka.
Day 4 - Ghandruk
Set off on the Annapurna Trek.
Visit villages along the way.
Gain superb views of the Annapurna Mountains.
(Walking time: approx 5 hours)
Day 5 - Tolkha
Continue trekking through awesome scenery.
(Walking time: approx 5 hours)
Day 6 – Hyenjakot
Stop overnight in Hyenjakot, a spot boasting epic panoramic views.
Enjoy sunset and sunrise from the lodge.
Day 7-9 - Pokhara and Kathmandu
Day 7 - Pokhara
Descend through terraced hillsides to road, drive to Pokhara.
Afternoon by the lake - maybe take out a boat on the water.
Day 8 - Kathmandu
Catch a morning bus back to Kathmandu along the banks of the Trisuli River.
Day 9 - Kathmandu
Relax or explore during free time in Kathmandu.Tulsi Hotel or similar
Day 10-11 - Chitwan National Park
Live out your Jungle Book fantasies as we attempt to spot a range of wildlife including rhinoceros, sloth bear, deer, a range of birds and - if you're extremely lucky - tigers.Riverview lodge or similar
Day 12 - Lumbini
Our lodge is smack bang in the middle of the jungle. We'll go for a wander, when you can see a stone image of Maya Devi holding on to a branch whilst giving birth to Gautama Buddha. These days she'd be gripping the arm of his father and hissing, "This is all your fault!"
Lumbini Budha Garden or similar
- Visit temples constructed by Buddhists from around the world.
- Get acquainted with the ancient Ashoka Pillar and Maya Devi Temple.
- Sleep overnight in an authentic jungle camp.
Day 13-15 - Varanasi
Take off your watch - you're on India time now. Not sure what this means? We think the local phrase, "No worries, chicken curries", sums it up perfectly.
Hotel Surya or similar
- Cross into India to continue the journey.
- Set off on an early morning boat cruise on the Ganges.
- Witness life by the Ganges first-hand.
- Take a guided walk through Varanasi's back lanes and crowded alleyways.
- Jump aboard an overnight train to Agra
Day 16 - Agra - Taj Mahal
Agra's not the prettiest city in the world, but the minute you see the Taj Mahal nothing else matters. It will blow every expectation out of the water. Try and refrain from letting your jaw hang open, you'll attract flies.
Hotel Royal Residency or similar
- Perhaps take an optional sojourn to Agra Fort.
Day 17 - Tordi Garh
Welcome to one of our favourite places on the trip. Tordi Garh's our little secret. And you get to sleep in a 16th century palace (curtsying optional).
Hotel Tordi Garh or similar
- Travel through scenic countryside to Tordi Garh, a place few travellers visit.
- Visit an old village temple and the local markets.
- Meet families and other members of the local community.
- Sleep overnight in the Tordi palace, with it's owner as your host.
Day 18-19 - Jaipur
The Pink City is home to a couple of big icons. like the Amber Fort and The Palace of the Winds. It's also a great place to sit back with a thali plate and enjoy some of the world's best people watching.
- Travel into Jaipur - the eclectic and busy capital of Rajasthan.
Hotel Mrignayani Palace or similar
- Journey to the medieval Amber Fort.
- Take a tour of the Old Bazaar and The Palace of the Winds.
- Spend free time in Jaipur doing whatever takes tickles your fancy.
Day 20-21 - Delhi
By now, you won't even bat an eyelid when a cow wanders into your cafe. After 20 days you'll be haggling with the best of them and sipping chai like it's going out of fashion.
- Travel to Delhi by bus.
- Enjoy free time relaxing or perhaps pay a visit to the Red Fort, the Jama Masjid or the Raj Ghat.
- Optional final group meal.
Hotel Perfect or similar
- The trip ends today after breakfast, but for those who wish to stay longer, there's a lot of Delhi left to explore.
What to Know
• Gecko's expert English-speaking local tour guides throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• 4 day trek in the Annapurna region with experienced trekking staff, porterage, Gecko's Kit Bag and twin-share lodge accommodation, generally in rooms with sleeping mattresses.
• 2 day white-water rafting adventure on the Seti River including specialist rafting guides, safety equipment, a cook and a night of camping.
• Chitwan National Park entrance fees.
• Sightseeing of Lumbini temple complexes, the ancient Ashoka Pillar and Maya Devi Temple, with a night at a jungle camp.
• Boat ride on the Ganges at sunrise and old city walking tour in Varanasi.
• Taj Mahal, Amber Fort and Hawa Mahal guided tours.
• Jeep ride to Tordi and village walk.
• Overnight stay in heritage property in Tordi.
• Overnight sleeper train from Varanasi to Agra (two sheets, a blanket and a pillow provided per person).
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, visas, pre or post tour accommodation, most meals, optional tours sightseeing or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature, laundry and flights unless specified.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 10 May 2014 - 30 May 2014 On Request US $1,515 Contact Us 06 Sep 2014 - 26 Sep 2014 7 Available US $1,515 Book Now 27 Sep 2014 - 17 Oct 2014 5 Available US $1,485 Book Now 04 Oct 2014 - 24 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 18 Oct 2014 - 07 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 01 Nov 2014 - 21 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 22 Nov 2014 - 12 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 03 Jan 2015 - 23 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 17 Jan 2015 - 06 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 14 Feb 2015 - 06 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 14 Feb 2015 - 06 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 14 Mar 2015 - 03 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 28 Mar 2015 - 17 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 11 Apr 2015 - 01 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 25 Apr 2015 - 15 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 25 Apr 2015 - 15 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 09 May 2015 - 29 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,470 Book Now 05 Sep 2015 - 25 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 26 Sep 2015 - 16 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now 03 Oct 2015 - 23 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 17 Oct 2015 - 06 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 31 Oct 2015 - 20 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 21 Nov 2015 - 11 Dec 2015 7+ Available US $1,485 Book Now 19 Dec 2015 - 08 Jan 2016 7+ Available US $1,440 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Tales of Rock & Massala Chai
Hazel - Australia, 26 May, 2013
The trip was everything I'd hope it would be. The group I travelled with were fantastic & our group leaders were fun & looked after us every step of the way. I've made some amazing friends & memories to last a lifetime.
Tales of Rock & Massala Chai
Shinnyi - Australia, 26 May, 2013
Nepal Trip 2013 I couldnt recomment these two guides enough and they were just professional and efficient in their duties at the highest levels.
- Page 1 of 5