Home of the Kings
Bollywood censors decree: no french kissing, no nudity, no drugs, no smoking and no politics. What's left? Well, plenty of jazz hands, for one.
(Was Rajasthan at a Glance)
Day 1 - Delhi
Dive into frantic, colourful Indian life. Not literally, that would be weird. How many cows can you count in one day?
Hotel Perfect or similar
- Evening group meeting in the evening and an optional group dinner
Day 2 - Agra
After we get off the train, find the nearest chai wallah for a steaming hot pick-me-up. Prepare to be called everything from Ricky Ponting to Princess Diana inside the Taj Mahal. You'd think the locals were more interested in us than that big marble thing right in front of them.
Hotel Royal Residency or similar
- Jump on the early morning express train to Agra
- Visit the Taj Mahal
- Optional visit to Agra Fort
Day 3 - Tordi Garh
Tordi is so far off the tourist trail, even your GPS would have trouble finding it. Take a deep breath of fresh air and enjoy a break from the chaos. Don't miss a sunset walk up to Tordi's ruined fort.
Hotel Tordi Garh or similar
- Journey to the remote village of Tordi Garh, a place few travellers venture to
- Explore temples and markets whilst getting to know local families
- Visit the nearby fortress and ruined temples
- Spend the night in a palace in Tordi
Day 4-5 - Jaipur
Traditionally dressed Rajput men stroll the streets of Jaipur in their colourful turbans, sporting moustaches that would put Ned Flanders to shame. Watch and learn boys.
- Travel by jeep to vibrant Jaipur
Hotel Mrignayani Palace or similar
- Visit the nearby Amber Fort
- Take a guided tour of the Old Bazaar and The Palace of the Winds
- Enjoy free time to explore Jaipur under your own steam
Day 6 - Nimaj Bagh
We love the local buses in India. On the way to Nimaj you could find yourself chatting with an old dude, playing with someone's baby or sharing homemade pakoras with a family. The one thing we guarantee you won't get is sleep - unless you've bought industrial-strength earplugs.
Nimaj Hotel Rawla Bagh or similar
- Stay at the Nimaj Bagh orchard, run by the nobles of Nimaj
- Enjoy time interacting with and getting to know the locals
Day 7 - Jodhpur
Apparently the buildings were painted blue to keep the mosquitoes away. Let us know if it worked. Spice Paradise on Girdi Kote Amar Chowk is our favourite little shop. Anil and Rekha, the friendly owners, won't hassle you to buy and all the spices come with recipes on the label.
Hotel Indrashan or similar
- Take a trip to the Meherangarh Fort, which sits atop a sheer rocky ridge
- Get lost (not literally) in the Sardar Market and all of the interconnecting bazaars and alleyways
Day 8-10 - Udaipur - overnight train
Udaipur's "floating" Lake Palace was the secret hideaway for Bond's most famous jewel smuggler, Octopussy. Bond disguised himself as a crocodile to get across the water, but you can just take the boat
- Optional visits of some of the caste villages that surround Jodhphur
- Embark on a bus journey, arriving in Udaipur at night
Hotel Mahendra Prakash or similar
- Visit the Jagdish Temple and City Palace
- Enjoy free time to explore Udaipur as you please
Day 11-12 - Delhi
Touts, auto rickshaws and mind-altering smells rule Delhi, but it's all part of the charm. Grab a couple of samosas and savour the taste of India before heading home.
- Explore the Chandni Chowk and Connaught Place - New Delhi's bustling commercial hub
- Free time to explore Delhi and it's various landmarks such as the Red Fort, the Jama Masjid and the Raj Ghat.
- Perhaps indulge in a final group dinner
Hotel Perfect or similar
- The tour ends today, but Delhi has much more to offer for those who wish to stay longer
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking local tour guide throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where applicable): Agra including the Taj Mahal; Jaipur including Amber Fort, Old Bazaar and The Palace of the Winds; Jodhpur including Meharangarh Fort and Sardar Market; Udaipur including City Palace and Jagdish Temple; and Delhi including Chandni Chowk and Connaught Place.
• Off-the-beaten-track experience in Tordi Garh – village walk, a visit to ruined temples and a fortress, and a jeep safari.
• Overnight accommodation in 16th Century Tordi Palace.
• Stay at Nimaj Bagh with a village walk to meet the locals.
• Free time to explore Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur and Delhi.
• Overnight train from Udaipur to Delhi. Accommodation in air-conditioned sleeper class with three-tier sleeping berths (two sheets, a blanket and a pillow provided per person).
• Express train from Delhi to Agra.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, visas, pre or post tour accommodation, all other meals, optional tours sightseeing or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature, laundry and flights unless specified. Some places that we visit charge additional fees if you are entering with a camera or camcorder - your city guide will advise on these and they can be paid for locally.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 01 Jun 2013 - 12 Jun 2013 0 Request US $880 Contact Us 15 Jun 2013 - 26 Jun 2013 1 Request US $880 Book Now 29 Jun 2013 - 10 Jul 2013 0 Request US $880 Contact Us 13 Jul 2013 - 24 Jul 2013 0 Request US $995 Contact Us 27 Jul 2013 - 07 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 10 Aug 2013 - 21 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 24 Aug 2013 - 04 Sep 2013 7+ Request US $995 Book Now 07 Sep 2013 - 18 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 21 Sep 2013 - 02 Oct 2013 7 Available US $995 Book Now 05 Oct 2013 - 16 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 19 Oct 2013 - 30 Oct 2013 7 Available US $995 Book Now 02 Nov 2013 - 13 Nov 2013 0 Request US $995 Contact Us 16 Nov 2013 - 27 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 30 Nov 2013 - 11 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 14 Dec 2013 - 25 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 28 Dec 2013 - 08 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 11 Jan 2014 - 22 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 25 Jan 2014 - 05 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 08 Feb 2014 - 19 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 22 Feb 2014 - 05 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 08 Mar 2014 - 19 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 22 Mar 2014 - 02 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 05 Apr 2014 - 16 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 19 Apr 2014 - 30 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 03 May 2014 - 14 May 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 17 May 2014 - 28 May 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 31 May 2014 - 11 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 14 Jun 2014 - 25 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $880 Book Now 28 Jun 2014 - 09 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $880 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.