Get your haggle on in Delhi before legging it to Varanasi for a sunrise boat ride on the holy Ganges. Next is the Taj Mahal (it’s even better than the pics), a camel cart ride in Tordi Garh, street food in Jaipur, then back to Delhi and home before you fall in love and never leave.
India has embraced the power of the horn: Short blasts let the drivers know you're there, long blasts tell someone to hurry up and continuous bleeps from motorbikes happen for no reason whatsoever.
Day 1-2 - Delhi
Get your haggling hat on. Mind the cows. And keep your hands and feet inside the tuk-tuk at all times. Take off your watch because you're on India time now.
- Pre-departure group meeting in the evening as well as an optional group dinner
Hotel Perfect or similar
- Visit Chandwi Chowk and Connaught Place - the commercial heart of New Delhi
- Get some sightseeing done during free time
- Board an overnight sleeper train bound for Varanasi
Day 3-5 - Varanasi
When we get down to the Ganges, buy a little candle boat from one of the kids. When we're on our sunrise boat ride you can send it floating down the holy river. Say a few words for someone back home (mum, dad, Aunty Kath etc).
Hotel Surya or similar
- Witness the rituals of life and death during a sunrise Ganges boat cruise
- Tale a guided tour through Varanasi's back lanes and crowded alleyways
- Board another sleeper train and journey back towards Agra
Day 6 - Agra - Taj Mahal
We can't even make a joke here. The Taj is simply that good. Do your best Princess Di pose on the benches as crowds of locals scramble to take your photo (yes, this will happen).
Hotel Royal Residency or similar
- Guided tour of the Taj Mahal
- Optional visit to Agra Fort
Day 7 - Tordi Garh
No auto rickshaws, no touts, no hurry, no worry...Tordi's just that kind of place. Scramble onto a camel cart for a village tour and say Namaste to the shy but friendly locals. Did you spot the horse with the blue eyes?
Hotel Tordi Garh or similar
- Drive through beautiful countryside to Tordi Garh, a village that few travellers venture to
- Meet locals, see the old village temple and wander through the markets
- Visit ruined temples and a nearby fortress
- Stay overnight in the palace at Tordi
Day 8-9 - Jaipur
Explore the Amber Fort and the Palace of the Winds. Then why not try and go vego for this part of the trip? Hit up a streetfood vendor for chaat, pakoras, pani puri, samosas and papad.
- Travel by jeep to Jaipur - Rajhastan's colourful capital
Hotel Mrignayani Palace or similar
- Enjoy a guided tour of the medieval Amber Fort
- Take a tour through the Old Bazaar and The Palace of the Winds
- Free time to explore Jaipur on your own
Day 10-11 - Delhi
Take a local bus back to Delhi. We reckon you should put down the camera and spend your last few days trying to take in the overwhelming, crazy, colourful madness of India.
- Journey back to Delhi and perhaps indulge in a final group meal in the evening
Hotel Perfect or similar
- The trip ends today, but Delhi has a lot going on for those who wish to stay longer
What to Know
Experienced regional tour guide and all transportation and accommodation as indicated in detailed Trip Notes. The following sightseeing trips are included: Delhi - an orientation walk around Chandi Chowk and Janpath including transport; Agra - one visit to the Taj Mahal including transport, entrance and local site guide fees; Tordi Garh - village walk and jeep safari; Jaipur - one visit to the Amber Fort including transport, entrance and local site guide fees.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, local payments, visas, pre or post tour accommodation, meals, optional tours sightseeing or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature, laundry and flights unless specified. Some places that we visit charge additional fees if you are entering with a camera or camcorder - your city guide will advise on these and they can be paid for locally.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 02 Sep 2014 - 12 Sep 2014 Fully Booked US $915 Closed 30 Sep 2014 - 10 Oct 2014 Available US $915 Book Now 14 Oct 2014 - 24 Oct 2014 4 places left US $940 Book Now 25 Nov 2014 - 05 Dec 2014 Available US $940 Book Now 09 Dec 2014 - 19 Dec 2014 Available US $940 Book Now 23 Dec 2014 - 02 Jan 2015 Fully Booked US $940 Contact us 13 Jan 2015 - 23 Jan 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 03 Feb 2015 - 13 Feb 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 03 Mar 2015 - 13 Mar 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 17 Mar 2015 - 27 Mar 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 23 Jun 2015 - 03 Jul 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 04 Aug 2015 - 14 Aug 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 01 Sep 2015 - 11 Sep 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 13 Oct 2015 - 23 Oct 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 24 Nov 2015 - 04 Dec 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 08 Dec 2015 - 18 Dec 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 22 Dec 2015 - 01 Jan 2016 Available US $865 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Joshua - New Zealand, 5 Mar, 2013
Overall a great trip but I felt that the standard of accommodaton was inconsistant, some hotels were great and some were not. Also I think the pace of the trip was abit too much, some of the early mornings and overnight trains definately affected the tiredness level. I think the trip should have an additional night in Jaipur as our guide was more interested in taking us shopping on our last day rather than sightseeing. I felt like I missed out on Jaipur
Kate - Australia, 27 Nov, 2012
This tour was the most wonderful introduction to Northern India. Our tour leader, Shaitan, was both extremely professional and friendly. Knowing that he had taken care of all the logistics meant that we could relax and take in all the colour and chaos of this most magical country. Thanks to Geckos and particularly thanks to Shaitan for a fantastic time.
- Page 1 of 11