The Road to Kathmandu
Got a sweet tooth? India's got the cure. Take one soft, fluffy ball of buffalo milk dough; deep fry until its the texture of a donut; drop into sugar syrup flavoured with cardamom poweder, rose essence and saffron; eat; repeat.
Day 1 - Delhi
The Indian head wobble is confusing. Does it mean yes? Does it mean no? And why aren’t they saying anything? We still haven’t worked it out, can you?Pre-departure meeting and an optional group meal in the eveningHotel Rockwell Plaza or similar
Day 2 - Tordi Garh
You might think it's polite to let the local kids beat you at cricket. Don't bother. They're ruthless, bloodthirsty and out to win. Lick your wounds on a walk to the ruined temple and fortress.
Hotel Tordi Garh or similar
- Journey through picturesque countryside to reach Tordi Garh, a remote, rarely visited village
- Mingle with the local community and learn about village life
- Visit the markets and the old village temple
- Sleep overnight in the palace at Tordi
Day 3-4 - Jaipur
They're not afraid of a deep fryer in Jaipur. Hit the streets for raj kachori chaat - a big fluffy chaat served with chutney, yoghurt, chilli and potato. Then cool off with a lassi from Lassiwala on MI road, Jaipur's oldest and most famous lassi shop.
Hotel Mrignayani Palace or similar
- Get acquainted with the busy streets and vibrant people of Jaipur
- Visit the stunning medieval Amber Fort
- Take a guided tour of the Old Bazaar and The Palace of the Winds
- Take some free time to explore on your own
Day 5 - Agra - Taj Mahal
They make you cover your shoes in funny little fabric shower caps. And for some reason local families find it more interesting to take photos of you than the actual Taj Mahal. But none of it matters. You'll be too busy standing there with your mouth gaping open to notice.
Hotel Royal Residency or similar
- View the awesome Taj Mahal
- Optional visit to Agra Fort
- Board an overnight train bound for Varanasi
Day 6-8 - Varanasi
You wouldn't swim in it for a million bucks. But my goodness the Ganges is pretty to look at. Even if you're not the spiritual sort, you can't help but get goosebumps as we take a boat ride at sunrise.
Hotel Surya or similar
- Get to know the spiritual heart of India
- Witness life and death rituals on the Ganges
- Embark on a cruise on India's most famous river
Day 9 - Lumbini
Embrace a bit of pedal power today, and check out the place where Lord Buddha was born.
Lumbini Budha Garden or similar
- Cross into Nepal
- Visit the birthplace of the founder of Buddhism
- View temples built by Buddhists from all over the world
- Take a trip to the ancient Ashoka Pillar and Maya Devi Temple
- Sleep overnight in a jungle camp
Day 10-11 - Chitwan National Park
Riding elephants can make some people feel uncomfortable. But don't stress. We only use responsible companies who love the big fellas as much as we do. So get up there and enjoy the ride with a clear conscience.
Riverview lodge or similar
- Stay in a jungle lodge
- Ride elephants into the jungle
- Be in with a chance of spotting rhinoceros, deer, sloth bear, a variety of birds and perhaps even tigers (if you're really, really lucky)
- Perhaps set off on canoe, jeep or walking safaris
Day 12-13 - Kathmandu
Our hotel is close to Durbar Square so stock up on last minute presents (Tibetan prayer flags, anyone?) followed by a final bowl of momo (dumplings).
- Catch a morning bus that joins the Rajpath (Prithvi Highway) and journeys to the rim of the Kathmandu Valley
- Descend into Nepal's capital and perhaps enjoy a final group dinner
The trip ends today after breakfast, but for those who wish to stay on, Kathmandu's got a lot to seeHotel Shakti or similar
What to Know
All tours are led by experienced regional tour guides in Nepal and India. All transportation and accommodation as indicated in detailed Trip Notes. The following sightseeing trips are included: Royal Chitwan National Park - park entrance fees and one elephant ride; Agra - one visit to the Taj Mahal including transport, entrance and local site guide fees; Tordi Garh - village walk and jeep safari; Jaipur - one visit to Amber Fort including transport, entrance and local site guide fees; Delhi - an orientation walk around Chandi Chowk and Janpath including transport.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, visas, pre or post tour accommodation, meals, optional tours sightseeing or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature, laundry and flights unless specified. Some places that we visit charge additional fees if you are entering with a camera or camcorder - your city guide will advise on these and they can be paid for locally.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 22 Jun 2013 - 04 Jul 2013 7 Request US $880 Book Now 03 Aug 2013 - 15 Aug 2013 6 Available US $995 Book Now 14 Sep 2013 - 26 Sep 2013 4 Available US $995 Book Now 28 Sep 2013 - 10 Oct 2013 1 Available US $995 Book Now 12 Oct 2013 - 24 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 26 Oct 2013 - 07 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 09 Nov 2013 - 21 Nov 2013 7 Available US $995 Book Now 23 Nov 2013 - 05 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 07 Dec 2013 - 19 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 21 Dec 2013 - 02 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 04 Jan 2014 - 16 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 18 Jan 2014 - 30 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 01 Feb 2014 - 13 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 15 Feb 2014 - 27 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 01 Mar 2014 - 13 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 15 Mar 2014 - 27 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 29 Mar 2014 - 10 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 12 Apr 2014 - 24 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 26 Apr 2014 - 08 May 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 10 May 2014 - 22 May 2014 7+ Available US $880 Book Now 24 May 2014 - 05 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $880 Book Now 07 Jun 2014 - 19 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $880 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.