Spices of Ceylon
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was filmed in Kandy. While they were there an elephant ate one of the actresses red dresses, so… keep an eye on your frocks ladies.
(Was Highlights of Sri Lanka)
Day 1 - Wattala
Ken says his favourite Sri Lankan breakfast is a big plate of hoppers. No, not the jumping kind. They're wafer thin, cup-shaped pancakes made from rice flour, coconut milk and a splash of palm toddy. Don't leave without trying them.
Sanmali Hotel Marawila or similar
- If arriving early in the day, perhaps consider a taxi ride into Colombo
- Pre-departure meeting in the evening, as well as an optional group dinner
Day 2-4 - Ancient sites
Best bits: Making new pals at the Pinnawela elephant orphanage, walking 1840 steps to the birthplace of Sri Lankan Buddhism, looking at (but not climbing) the world's oldest known tree and biking around the ancient city of Polonnaruwa.
- Visit the Pinnawela elephant sanctuary
- Stop by Mihintale - the birthplace of Sri Lankan buddhism
- Walk up the 1840 granite steps of Mihintale for awesome views
- Explore the ancient (3rd century BC) city of Anuradhapura, home to the sacred bohdi tree, supposedly the oldest living tree in documented history
- Take in the sights of the Brazen Palace, the enormous Ruwanveliseya Dagoba, the seated Samadhi Buddha and the ruins of various temples and palaces
- Visit the extraordinary Sigiriya(Lion Rock) rock fortress
The Village or similarBreakfast
- Hire bikes and set off to explore Polonnaruwa, another ancient city
- Time permitting, embark on an optional jeep safari in Minneriya National Park
Day 5-6 - Dambulla - Kandy
If you were a Buddhist hermit in the 3rd century BC, where would you live? The answer is one of 80 spacious caves in Dambulla. Explore markets, gardens and the intriguingly named Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.
- Check out the Dambulla Cave Temples
- Travel onwards to Kandy, via the Matale Spice Garden
- Pay a visit to the Temple of the Tooth
- Watch a Sri Lankan cultural show in the evening
Devon Hotel or similarBreakfast
- Guided tour around Kandy, taking in the botanical gardens and local market
- Plenty of free time to get to know this pretty town
Day 7-9 - Nuwara Eliya - World's End - Ella
Sri Lankan food facts: they love spices, the seafood is amazing and they're not afraid of a little deep frying. Walk it off on a trek to the World's End, where you can see the Indian Ocean over 50km away.
- Stop off in Nuwara Eliya, known as 'Little England' because of its British-influenced cottages and mansions
- Enjoy Sri Lankan delicacies, prepared by a local cook
- Spend the night in a rest house
- Visit the Hortons Plains Nature Reserve
- Embark on a guided walk through forest and grassland to 'World's End'
- Spend the night in a rest house in the hill region of Belihul Oya
- Take a dip in rock pools
Lesuire Village or similarBreakfast | Lunch
- Enjoy a scenic trip to Ella, a town boasting amazing coastal views
Day 10-11 - Ahangama - Galle
If you've finished all your books and your iPod's gone flat why not try surfing? Nobody will laugh when you fall off (maybe). And even if you're terrible, surfing works up an appetite so those fresh fruit smoothies will go down a treat.
- Descend from the altitude to the beaches of the south coast
- Pass seaside villages and sweeping bays before arriving at the funky beach town of Ahangama
Insight Resort or similarBreakfast
- Laze on the beach, check out the famous stilt fishermen or visit historic Galle
Day 12-13 - Colombo
Not to be confused with the one-eyed homicide detective, the capital of Sri Lanka is full of things to do. Visit Gangaramaya Temple, Sri Kailawasanathar Swami Devasthanam Kovil Hindu (try saying that three times fast), grab some street food at Galle Face and drink from an orange coconut.
- Make the most of a free afternoon to explore Colombo
- Enjoy an optional final dinner with the group
Concord Hotel or similarBreakfast
- The trip ends this morning after breakfast
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking local tour guide throughlout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where applicable): ancient city of Anuradhapura; Dambulla Cave Temples; and Matale Spice Garden.
• Walks to Mihintale – the birthplace of Sri Lankan Buddhism, Sigiriya (Lion Rock) rock fortress, and to 'World’s End’ in Horton Plains Nature Reserve.
• Bike ride around the ancient city of Polonnaruwa.
• Visit to the elephant sanctuary at Pinnawela.
• Two nights in Kandy including a visit to the Temple of the Tooth to witness the daily Thewawa ceremony.
• A night in a rest house in Nuwara Eliya, with our own cook preparing Sri Lankan delicacies.
• A night in a rest house in Belihul Oya with access to a rock pool and a nature walk.
• Time to relax on the beaches of Unawatuna and free time to explore Colombo.
• Train from Haputale to Ella Ella.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, airport/departure taxes, local payments, visas, pre or post tour accommodation, all other meals, optional tours sightseeing or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature, laundry and flights unless specified. Some places that we visit charge additional fees if you are entering with a camera or camcorder - your city guide will advise on these and they can be paid for locally.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 26 May 2013 - 07 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $1,640 On Sale Sale: US $1,230 Book Now 07 Jul 2013 - 19 Jul 2013 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 21 Jul 2013 - 02 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 15 Sep 2013 - 27 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 29 Sep 2013 - 11 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 27 Oct 2013 - 08 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 24 Nov 2013 - 06 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 08 Dec 2013 - 20 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 22 Dec 2013 - 03 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 05 Jan 2014 - 17 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 19 Jan 2014 - 31 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 02 Feb 2014 - 14 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 16 Feb 2014 - 28 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 02 Mar 2014 - 14 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 16 Mar 2014 - 28 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 30 Mar 2014 - 11 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 25 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 27 Apr 2014 - 09 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 11 May 2014 - 23 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 06 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,640 Book Now 08 Jun 2014 - 20 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now 22 Jun 2014 - 04 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,450 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.