My Camel Humps
Cairo is your kickoff point, check out the Pyramids and Sphinx while you’re in the area. Head on to Aswan for temples, bazaars and a felucca sailboat or camel ride, next is Abu Simbel for a Nile Cruise then Luxor and the Valley of the Kings before you head back to Cairo. Holiday success.
A guy called Khufu was responsible for building the Great Pyramid. It’s 4500 years old, 146m tall and made from 2.3 million blocks weighing around 2.5 tons each. And how did they honour him? With a 9cm tall statue. Bummer.
Day 1 - Cairo
Immerse yourself in the madness: grab a pair of authentic Roy Bands sunnies from the bazaar, embrace the kitsch world of Dr. Ragab's Pharaonic Village then share a sahlab (sweet, hot custard drink with nuts) and a sheesha pipe with your new travel buddies. Arrive in Cairo and get to grips with this busy city
You will meet with your trip leader and the rest of your group at 6pm this evening. Please check for a note in the hotel lobby or ask the hotel reception for where it will take place. If your're going to be late please let us know.
Day 2 - Cairo - Pyramids - Sphinx
Nobody’s quite sure how the Sphinx lost its nose. Some say Napoleon’s soldiers blew it off with a cannonball. Others say it simply wore away over time. Either way, as far as features go it's a pretty big one to lose.
Breakfast | Dinner
- Take a trip to the Egyptian Museum, see the golden mask of King Tutankhamun
- Drive out to the edge of the desert to explore the pyramids and the nearby Sphinx
- Visit the Valley Temple of King Khafre (Chephren)
- Catch the night train bound for Aswan
Day 3 - Aswan
Put on your haggling hat (or just a regular hat, we don't mind) for a trip to the bazaar. Grab useful stuff like books, cotton tops and sunhats for your upcoming Nile cruise. Splurge on fun stuff like perfume oil, leather bags and jewellery just for the heck of it.
- Drive out of town to visit the Temple of Isis at Philae (optional)
- Return to Aswan and explore the Nubian Bazaar
- Head out on a felucca sailboat (optional)
- Set off on an optional camel ride towards the Monastery of St. Simeon
Day 4-6 - Abu Simbel - Nile Cruise
Your boat may be small, but she has a dance floor. And the crew is not afraid to dress you up in a galabeya, whack on some Arabic pop music and make you use it.
- Take a drive to Abu Simbel, one of the most impressive temples ever built
- Take a tour of the site, one of the highlights of Egypt, and later return to Aswan
- Board a Nile Cruise boat and spend time sleeping, relaxing, reading or enjoying the sundeck
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Visit the Temple of Sobek, a classically-ruined Greco-Roman temple
- Continue cruising towards Edfu, and take in some timeless scenes of life on the Nile
- Stop at Edfu to explore the well-preserved Temple of Horus
- Get involved in an impromptu fancy-dress party
- Free time to explore Luxor
- Take horse-drawn carriages to the massive complex at Karnak
Day 7 - Luxor - Valley of the Kings
Be nice to your donkey and he’ll take you on a peaceful sunrise stroll past fields of alfalfa into the Valley of the Kings. Upset him and you’ll be sore for days. Another overnight train back to Cairo.
Breakfast | Dinner
- Journey to the Valley of the Kings on donkeys
- Visit the outstanding Temple of Hatshepsut
- Enjoy an afternoon at your own leisure, perhaps visit Luxor Temple and the bazaar?
- Overnight sleeper train back to Cairo
Day 8-9 - Cairo
Time for one last walk around Cairo. Head south from Bab al-Futuh (one of the medieval north gates), past the old Islamic monuments that stand watch over the bazaars. Time to leave the madness of Cairo behind.
- Arrive back in Cairo and enjoy free time to explore
- Seize the chance to visit the fantastic Khan el-Khalili bazaar
- Perhaps enjoy a final Egyptian dinner with the group
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
• Gecko's expert English-speaking local tour guide throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Sightseeing (not including entrance fees): Cairo's pyramids, Sphinx, Valley Temple of King Chephren and Egyptian Museum; Abu Simbel; Temple of Sobek at Kom Ombo; and Temple of Horus at Edfu.
• Three night Nile River cruise aboard Gecko's comfortable riverboat.
• Horse-drawn carriage ride to Karnak.
• Donkey ride to explore the Valley of the Kings.
• Overnight train from Cairo to Aswan and Luxor to Cairo in an air-conditioned carriage with sleeper compartments. Simple dinner and breakfast served on board and toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage.
- International flights, arrival & departure transfers, visas, airport taxes, additional meals, drinks, optional sightseeing tours, insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 31 Mar 2015 - 08 Apr 2015 Fully Booked smokin' deal Sale: US $901 Closed 14 Apr 2015 - 22 Apr 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $867 Book Now 21 Apr 2015 - 29 Apr 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $867 Book Now 28 Apr 2015 - 06 May 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $875 Book Now 02 Jun 2015 - 10 Jun 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $803 Book Now 30 Jun 2015 - 08 Jul 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $803 Book Now 04 Aug 2015 - 12 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $803 Book Now 06 Oct 2015 - 14 Oct 2015 Available US $955 Book Now 03 Nov 2015 - 11 Nov 2015 Available US $955 Book Now 22 Dec 2015 - 30 Dec 2015 Available US $1,030 Book Now 05 Jan 2016 - 13 Jan 2016 Available US $990 Book Now 12 Jan 2016 - 20 Jan 2016 Available US $990 Book Now 26 Jan 2016 - 03 Feb 2016 Available US $990 Book Now 09 Feb 2016 - 17 Feb 2016 Available US $970 Book Now 01 Mar 2016 - 09 Mar 2016 Available US $1,010 Book Now 15 Mar 2016 - 23 Mar 2016 Available US $1,010 Book Now 29 Mar 2016 - 06 Apr 2016 Available US $1,010 Book Now 05 Apr 2016 - 13 Apr 2016 Available US $1,010 Book Now 12 Apr 2016 - 20 Apr 2016 Available US $1,010 Book Now 19 Apr 2016 - 27 Apr 2016 Available US $1,010 Book Now 03 May 2016 - 11 May 2016 Available US $970 Book Now 10 May 2016 - 18 May 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 17 May 2016 - 25 May 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 07 Jun 2016 - 15 Jun 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 14 Jun 2016 - 22 Jun 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 28 Jun 2016 - 06 Jul 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 02 Aug 2016 - 10 Aug 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 06 Sep 2016 - 14 Sep 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 04 Oct 2016 - 12 Oct 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 01 Nov 2016 - 09 Nov 2016 Available US $935 Book Now 06 Dec 2016 - 14 Dec 2016 Available US $935 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
My Camel Humps
Emily - Australia, 28 Jan, 2014
I absolutely loved the tour! It was a relaxed trip where I felt like I had more than enough time to explore all the amazing highlights of Egypt. The accommodation was all you could need and it was very easy to decide whether you wanted to do certain tours or do something else.
My Camel Humps
Sarah and Shannon - Australia, 29 Jan, 2014
Trip of a lifetime!! This tour covered everything we wanted to see and experience in Egypt and was very good value for money. We had an amazing tour guide, Mohammed, who was so organised, fun and knowledgeable, which made the tour even more memorable. Despite all the media attention surrounding Egypt, we always felt safe and welcome by the locals. Thank you so much Mohammed and Geckos for an amazing experience.
What to know
Entrance fees are not included, you pay these as you go along.