Where Hummus All Began
In a traditional Bedouin coffee ceremony you’ll actually drink three cups of coffee: one for the soul, one for the sword and one because you’re a guest. Don’t ask for a fourth – it’s greedy and you might wet your pants on the bus.
(Was Jordan & Israel)
Day 1 - Amman
The locals are friendly, but they don’t really understand the concept of personal space. Keep these phrases under your belt: Imshi baeed (Go away), La'a Shukran (No, thanks) Bass! (That’s enough, mate).
- Arrive in Amman and get yourself familiar with this fascinating location
Day 2 - Amman - Aqaba
It won’t take long to see the best bits of Aqaba, and then you’re free to swim, snorkel and dive in the Red Sea. How many of the 100 species of fish can you spot?
- Arrive in Aqaba and spend free time exploring this lively beach side town
- Perhaps relax on the beach, do some shopping and grab a meal at a local seafood restaurant
Day 3 - Wadi Rum - Petra
Keep an eye out for the Wadi Rum Desert Patrol in their spiffing khaki and red uniforms. Then live out your Indiana Jones fantasies at Petra, the 2000-year-old city carved into pink sandstone.
- Set off on an awesome jeep tour into the Wadi Rum desert
- Continue the journey to Petra.
Day 4 - Petra
We like to make a dramatic entrance to the legendary Al Khazneh (The Treasury), so we take you through a narrow gorge, past tombs and rock formations, before you eventually get your first glimpse. Pick your jaw up off the ground, there are flies everywhere.
- Spend heaps of time exploring the ancient city of Petra, founded more than 2000 years ago
- Wander through the narrow ‘siq’ and visit the numerous tombs, temples and public buildings - as well as the rock-hewn amphitheatre
- Wind down with an optional Turkish Bath at the hotel
Day 5 - Petra - Kings Highway - Amman
By now you should be addicted to hummus, ara'yes (oven-baked sandwiches filled with spiced mince) and mansaf (Google it, then wipe your drool of this page).
- Follow the ancient Kings Highway, a road that dates back to the Old Testament
- Reach Dana and enjoy a stroll though the ancient village
- Visit the crusader castle at Shobak and the Greek Orthodox church of St. George in Madaba
- Arrive in the lively city of Amman and head out 'on the town'
Day 6 - Jerash - Amman
A guy we know took a packet of chips to the Dead Sea. After swimming he grabbed a bunch of the chips, wiped them on his arm to make them salty, then at them. We just wanted to mention that somewhere.
- Enjoy a morning tour of the grand, ancient Roman city of Jerash
- Perhaps visit Dead Sea in the afternoon, or explore Amman further
Day 7 - Amman - Jerusalem
Best bits: Garden of Gethsemane, Manger Square and Church of the Nativity (the birthplace of Jesus Christ), Western (Wailing) Wall, Dolorosa (Stations of the Cross) and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. If you're not feeling the biblical vibe, you're not trying hard enough.
- Set off early and leave Amman for the Israeli border
- Arrive in Jerusalem and spend free time exploring this timeless city
Day 8 - Bethlehem - Jerusalem
Make sure you try knafeh - shreds of filo dough drenched in syrupy sugar water and filled with gooey, salty, warm, soft goat's cheese. Wash it down with a classic Israeli iced coffee. Heavenly.
- Take a tour of Jerusalem, starting with a panoramic view of the city
- Drive via the Garden of Gethsemane and enter the Old City
- Walk to the 'Cardo' in the recently restored Jewish Quarter
- Visit the Western (Wailing) Wall, Via Dolorosa (Stations of the Cross) and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- Continue the tour with a visit to Yad Vashem (Israel's memorial to the Holocaust)
- Press on to the biblical city of Bethlehem, and stop by Manger Square and Church of the Nativity - the birthplace of Jesus Christ
- Head back to Jerusalem and enjoy some hard-earned downtime
Day 9-11 - Nazareth - Sea of Galilee - Jerusalem
Visit the Church of the Multiplication of Loaves and Fishes. Abbreviations didn't exist back then, clearly.
- Drive to Nazareth for a visit to the Church of the Annunciation and the Church of St. Joseph
- Continue to the Sea of Galilee via the ruins at Capernaum, Tabgha and the Church of the Multiplication of Loaves and Fishes
- Pass Tiberias and reach the baptismal site on the Jordan River before returning to Jerusalem.
- Spend a free day further exploring Jerusalem, or join an optional tour to Masada, the fortress of King Herod
- Set off on an optional trip to the Dead Sea and enjoy a dip at the the lowest place on earth
- The trip ends today after breakfast, but if you wish to stick around, you'll find plenty more to see and do
What to Know
An experienced English-speaking local tour guide (leader/guide in Jordan and Israel), all transportation, accommodation, meals and sightseeing as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, visas, airport taxes, additional meals, drinks, optional sightseeing tours, insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 03 Jul 2013 - 13 Jul 2013 0 Request US $2,240 Contact Us 31 Jul 2013 - 10 Aug 2013 4 Available US $2,240 Book Now 28 Aug 2013 - 07 Sep 2013 1 Available US $2,240 Book Now 25 Sep 2013 - 05 Oct 2013 0 Request US $2,545 Contact Us 23 Oct 2013 - 02 Nov 2013 7 Available US $2,545 Book Now 20 Nov 2013 - 30 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 04 Dec 2013 - 14 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 01 Jan 2014 - 11 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 08 Jan 2014 - 18 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 15 Jan 2014 - 25 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 12 Feb 2014 - 22 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,240 Book Now 12 Mar 2014 - 22 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 26 Mar 2014 - 05 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 09 Apr 2014 - 19 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 23 Apr 2014 - 03 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 07 May 2014 - 17 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 21 May 2014 - 31 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 04 Jun 2014 - 14 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,545 Book Now 18 Jun 2014 - 28 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,240 Book Now 02 Jul 2014 - 12 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,240 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.