Little House on the Cerrado
Live out your Motorcycle Diaries fantasies (minus the hot actor and the motorcycle). Whether you’ve read the book or seen the movie (we don’t judge) there’s no doubt Che Guevara’s story has inspired many a Latin American adventure.
(Was Santiago to Rio)
Day 1-2 - Santiago
Use your free time wisely. Try some local wine and indulge in a terremoto in Santiago's drinking den, La Piojera. Terremoto means 'Earthquake', and you might feel a little shaky after the mix of sweet-wine and pineapple ice-cream served in a one litre glass.
- Pre-departure meeting in the evening
- Take a walking tour of Santiago
- Spend a free afternoon exploring on your own
Day 3 - Mendoza
Take a scenic bus ride past Mt Aconcagua (6960m) to the wine growing region of Mendoza. This might be a good time to revisit "Grape Lady Falls" on YouTube for the hundredth time.
- Scenic bus ride through the mountains
Day 4-5 - Mendoza
Wine, glorious wine. We'll take you around the local wineries where you can sniff, smell, swill and spit to your heart's content. Sleep it off on the overnight bus to Corboda on day 5.
- Set off on a walking tour of Mendoza
- Look out over the city from the Cerro de la Gloria
- Take an afternoon tour of some of the significant local wineries
- Join optional activities such as trekking, horseback riding of excursion to Uspallata or Cruz del Paramillo
- Board a regular overnight bus to Cordoba
Day 6-7 - Cordoba - Buenos Aires
Go for a wander. Stop by Che Guevara's old house and the Jesuit monastery in the afternoon. Overnight bus to BA on day 7.
- Arrive early in Cordoba and take a walking tour of the city
- Take a local bus to the town of Alta Gracia, with the option to visit Che Guevara's house and the Jesuit monastery
- Enjoy free time exploring Cordoba as you please
- Perhaps visit more of the Jesuit sites or some of the local chapels
Day 8-10 - Buenos Aires
Five reasons you'll love BA - tango, football, food, fashion and crazy nightlife. Another overnight bus ride to Puerto Iguazu. You should Google "card games" and "what to do on long bus rides" before this trip.
- Take a walking tour of this awesome city
- Spend free time making discoveries on your own during a two-night stay
- Why not try tango or head to an Argentinean football match (March - December)
- Board an overnight bus to Puerto Iguazu
Day 11-12 - Iguazu Falls
Hear the falls before you see them. Little tip: wear waterproof clothes because you'll get drenched by the mist.
- Visit the thundering Iguazu Falls
- Take in panoramic views of the falls from the Argentine and Brazilian sides
- Set off on an overnight bus ride to Curitiba
Day 13 - Atlantic Rainforest
Ride the Serra Verde Express to Marumbi station and trek to our rainforest lodge for the night.
- Board the Serra Verde Express for an incredible ride through the Atlantic Rainforest
- Trek along the Itupava Colonial Rainforest Trail to Rochedinho Peak and Marumbinistas Waterfall
- Stay overnight in a jungle lodge
- Spend time relaxing, swimming or perhaps embark on further exploration of the rainforest
Day 14-15 - Paranagua - Honey IslandJill says Honey Island is "a bit like an Asian beach, with sandy paths and little shacks with outdoor couches". What's not to love?
- Board a boat in Paranagua to explore some of the island that make up the Superagui National Park
- Keep eyes peeled for local wildlife
- Stop at Pescas Island for a lunch prepared by local villagers
- Take a walking tour around the village with a local site guide and visit Dolphin Bay
- Perhaps relax with a spot of fishing
- Spend two nights on the idyllic Honey Island
- Visit the historical fortress and the Enchanted Grotto
Day 16 - Curitiba - Rio
Normally when you leave the beach and head to the city, you change out of your swimwear. But that's the beauty of Brazil - wear next to nothing is kind of expected.
- Make the most of the last morning on Honey Island
- Board an overnight bus bound for Rio de Janeiro
Day 17-19 - Rio de Janeiro
You think Rio is loud, colourful, crazy and fun now? Wait until 2014 World cup and 2016 Summer Olympics fever takes over.
- Ascend Corcovado Mountain and visit Christ The Redeemer
- Enjoy plenty of free time to hit the beach, shops, cafes, bars and restaurants and get to grips to local life
- Perhaps visit the famous Copacabana and Ipanema beaches or take in Sugarloaf Mountain
What to Know
Gecko's tour leader, local guides, transport, sightseeing, meals and entrance fees as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, entrance to Sugarloaf, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 23 Jun 2013 - 11 Jul 2013 7 Request US $4,695 On Sale Sale: US $3,522 Book Now 21 Jul 2013 - 08 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $4,695 On Sale Sale: US $2,817 Book Now 25 Aug 2013 - 12 Sep 2013 4 Available US $4,695 On Sale Sale: US $3,522 Book Now 06 Oct 2013 - 24 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $4,695 On Sale Sale: US $3,522 Book Now 27 Oct 2013 - 14 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $4,695 On Sale Sale: US $3,522 Book Now 17 Nov 2013 - 05 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 08 Dec 2013 - 26 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 29 Dec 2013 - 16 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 19 Jan 2014 - 06 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 09 Feb 2014 - 27 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 02 Mar 2014 - 20 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $4,135 Book Now 23 Mar 2014 - 10 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $4,135 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 01 May 2014 7+ Available US $4,135 Book Now 04 May 2014 - 22 May 2014 7+ Available US $4,135 Book Now 18 May 2014 - 05 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 13 Jul 2014 - 31 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 03 Aug 2014 - 21 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 24 Aug 2014 - 11 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 14 Sep 2014 - 02 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 05 Oct 2014 - 23 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 26 Oct 2014 - 13 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 16 Nov 2014 - 04 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 07 Dec 2014 - 25 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 28 Dec 2014 - 15 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now 18 Jan 2015 - 05 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $4,695 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.