Fun animal fact #684: sloths are the world's slowest mammals. They're so slow that algae actually grows on their coat. Blink and you won't miss them. In fact, you could probably take a three hour snooze in your beach hammock in the time it takes them to yawn.
(Was Costa Rica & Panama)
Day 1-2 - San Jose
Meet your group and local tour guide in San Jose, or 'Chepe' as the Ticos (Costa Ricans) call it. Don't miss the Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica (national theatre) and the sweet and crispy churros (doughnuts) at Churreria Manolo's. Your trip starts on arrival in San Jose. The pre-departure meeting will be held on the morning of day 2. Please check the notice board for the time.
- Spend free time exploring and getting acquainted with San Jose
Day 3-4 - Monteverde
Do you know what a quetzal is? Apparently, it's a type of bird which is alive and well here. If, like the majority of us, you have no idea what it is, just get excited about visiting a cloud forest.
- Climb the mountains to the Village of Monterverde
- Journey into the Cloud Forest Biological Reserve
- Enjoy incredible bird-watching opportunities
- Take an 'Sky Walk' in the jungle canopy - 40 metres above ground
- View a range of birdlife, wildlife and fauna and flora
- Travel from the cool highland cloud forest to the dense rainforest
Day 5-6 - La Fortuna - Arenal
Signs a volcano might be about to erupt: minor steam eruptions, deformed ground surfaces and the fact that your thongs have melted.
- Stop by La Fortuna, whose main attraction is the spectacular Arenal Volcano
- Enjoy a hike around the volcano and absorb the surrounding scenery
- Perhaps go white-water rafting and horse riding, or set off on an optional night trek to the volcano
- Take a dip at the waterfalls of La Catarata de Fortuna
Day 7-9 - Puerto Viejo - Cahuita
Get to know your Caribbean: reggae, snorkel, surf, mountain bike, dive and meet sloths and howler monkeys at Cahuita National Park.
- Spend three nights in the beautiful beach town of Puerto Viejo, located on the Caribbean Sea
- Enjoy a range of optional activities including hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, diving and snorkelling
- Soak up some of the local culture, discover the local reggae or sample the indigenous handicrafts on offer
- Take a day trip to Cahuita by public bus
- Visit Cahuita National Park, where wildlife abounds
Day 10-11 - Bocas del Toro
Take a boat ride to Colon Island. Stop giggling. There's plenty of time here to get acquainted with Panama's favourite drink, seco. It's a lot like vodka or rum, but it's about 80 proof. Mix it with milk like the locals or order a 'chichita Panama' with pineapple and grapefruit juice.
- Cross on foot into Panama over an old train bridge (which serves as the actual border)
- Board a public boat to the island of Colon
- Enjoy free time on Colon Island to relax
- Perhaps wander across to Red Frog Beach, rent a bike or go dolphin-spotting
Day 12-14 - Boquete
Don't ask why we're driving you to the village of Boquete on a yellow school bus, just enjoy the randomness. If you feel you've earned a bit of pampering, head to the Caldera Hot Springs for a massage.
- Journey on a public bus to Boquete
- Perhaps visit the Paradise Gardens Wildlife Rescue Center, climb the rim of the Baru Volcano, take a dip in the Caldera Hot Springs or go whitewater rafting or kayaking
- Take an informative and fun coffee tour
Day 15-17 - Panama City
See the mad engineering feat of the Panama Canal. Finish things up with a Balboa beer and a final plate of yuca frita and sancocha.
- Travel on the Pan-American highway on a public bus to Panama City
- Cross the Bridge of the Americas (finished in 1962) before arriving in Panama City.
- Visit the Panama Canal at the Miraflores Locks
- Stop by the San Jose Church, the Plaza Bolivar and the Presidential Palace.
- Walk around the French Quarter
- See the Kuna Indians sell their ‘molas’ (part of their traditional costume)
- Perhaps jump aboard a ‘chiva’ (party bus) or head down to Calle Uruguay
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
An experienced regional tour guide plus there will be the services of local guides at some sites. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, meals, entrance fees, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
This tour passes through volcanic areas. In the instance a volcano becomes potentially dangerous and authorities declare nearby towns unsafe for travel, the itinerary will be re-routed. Where possible, Geckos will provide advance notice of such changes. At short notice, when this is not possible, your tour leader will provide up to date information on behalf of Geckos.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 10 Sep 2013 - 26 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,935 On Sale Sale: US $1,452 Book Now 01 Oct 2013 - 17 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,935 Book Now 12 Nov 2013 - 28 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 17 Dec 2013 - 02 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 31 Dec 2013 - 16 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 14 Jan 2014 - 30 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 28 Jan 2014 - 13 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 11 Feb 2014 - 27 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 25 Feb 2014 - 13 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 11 Mar 2014 - 27 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 25 Mar 2014 - 10 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 08 Apr 2014 - 24 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 29 Apr 2014 - 15 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 13 May 2014 - 29 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 27 May 2014 - 12 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 10 Jun 2014 - 26 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 24 Jun 2014 - 10 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 08 Jul 2014 - 24 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 22 Jul 2014 - 07 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 05 Aug 2014 - 21 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 19 Aug 2014 - 04 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 02 Sep 2014 - 18 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 16 Sep 2014 - 02 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,935 Book Now 30 Sep 2014 - 16 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,935 Book Now 14 Oct 2014 - 30 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $1,935 Book Now 28 Oct 2014 - 13 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,935 Book Now 11 Nov 2014 - 27 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,935 Book Now 25 Nov 2014 - 11 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 09 Dec 2014 - 25 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now 23 Dec 2014 - 08 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $2,195 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.