Pura Vida Costa Rica
If Costa Rica was a food, it would taste like a cross between coffee and vinegar. OK that sounds gross. But you can't leave without trying shade-grown Costa Rican coffee and salsa lizano, the tary sauce they slather on everything.
(Was Costa Rican Highlights)
Day 1-2 - San Jose
As far as starting places go, you can't get much better than San Jose. Get here early so you can check out the museums, markets, National Theatre and start winding your body clock back to Caribbean time.
- Get acquainted with San Jose on arrival
Spend free time exploring the cosmopolitan capital of Costa Rica and the centre of the country's theatre and art world
Day 3-4 - Monteverde
When the dodo became extinct, the sloth stepped up as 'least likely to evolve'. YouTube 'sloth walking' to see what we mean.
- Journey up the mountains to the village of Monteverde
- Set foot upon the Cloud Forst Biological Reserve
- Enjoy awesome birdwatching opportunities
- Take the optional Sky Walk over the jungle canopy - 40 metres above ground
- Travel from the cool highland cloud forest to the dense rainforest
Day 5-6 - La Fortuna - Arenal
Whitewater rafting, horse riding, trekking at night to see molten lava spewing from Arenal Volcano, swimming in the waterfalls of La Catarata de Fortuna.
- Stop off in La Fortuna, whose main attraction is the nearby Arenal Volcano
- Hike around the volcano and take in the scenery
- Optional whitewater rafting and horse riding
- Enjoy a dip in the local waterfalls of La Catarata de Fortun
Day 7-9 - Puerto Viejo
Your challenge: cram as much hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, diving, snorkelling, lobster, deep-fried cheese and empanadas into the next three days as humanly possible.
- Spend three nights in the beach town of Puerto Viejo
- Perhaps take part in some hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, diving or snorkelling
- Enjoy free time to soak up local culture - including reggae and the indigenous handicrafts
- Take a trip to Cahuita by public bus
- Visit Cahuita National Park, with good opportunities to spot coatis, sloths, armadillos, iguanas, howler and capuchin monkeys, and much more
- Make the most of the beaches at Cahuita NP by swimming, snorkelling, or lazing on the sand
Day 10 - Puerto Viejo - San Jose
Toast the end of your trip with a big plate of lobster dripping in butter and garlic. It's what the Costa Ricans would want.
- Journey back to San Jose, where the trip comes to an end
What to Know
An experienced local guide plus there will be the services of local guides at some sites. Entrance fee to Arenal volcano, All transport, accommodation, sightseeing as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, meals, entrance fees, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
This tour passes through volcanic areas. In the instance, a volcano becomes potentially dangerous and authorities declare nearby towns unsafe for travel, the itinerary will be re-routed. Where possible, Gecko’s will provide advance notice of such changes. At short notice, when this is not possible, your tour leader will provide up to date information on behalf of Gecko’s.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.