How to make a mojito: crush mint leaves, caster sugar and lime in a glass; fill with ice; pour white rum over the top and add soda. Alternatively, come here and ask a local to make it for you.
Day 1 - Havana
Random facts about Cuba: one in four cars on the road is a Russian Lada, there are no poisonous snakes, sex-change operations are legal and free. Practical stuff: there are two types of currency here. You'll use convertibles (CUC) and the locals use pesos (CUP).
- Get acquainted with Havana
- Pre-departure meeting in the evening
Day 2 - Santa Clara
If only you could find a t-shirt, poster, keyring, book, scarf or pet rock with Che Guevara's face on it.
- Head inland to the historic city of Santa Clara
- Visit the Revolutionary Plaza and the Che Guevara Monument
Day 3-4 - Trinidad
Apparently the locals thought white buildings would be too harsh in the heat of the day, so they're painted blue, yellow and terracotta. This is the place to buy a canchanchara - lemon juice, honey and Santero Cuban rum served in a glazed ceramic pot.
- Set off on your own exploration of Trinidad - quintessential Cuba
- Perhaps climb the bell tower of the central Museo Nacional de la Lucha Contra Bandidos (a former convent) for great views over the old rooftops and surrounding hills
- Why not visit some of the great local markets
- Get your beach beach fix - it's a short ride in a 'coco taxi'
- Please note that there is a shortage of reliable accommodation in Trinidad and many of the hotels experience constant water and electrical shortages
- From time to time it is necessary for us to stay just out of town
Day 5-7 - Vinales
Vinales is known for cheeky porches, tobacco plants and mojitos made with honey. Practice blowing smoke rings from your balcony seat overlooking the giant bubbles of limestone that cover the landscape.
- Visit Vinales, situated in one of the most scenic parts of Cuba
- Perhaps take in the town's cultural centre and museum
- Why not set off on some of the hikes in the area
Day 8-9 - Havana
Adios amigos. Toast the end of your trip with a mojito and one last salsa lesson at Casa de la Musica.
- In your free time, why not stroll along the malecon (ocean-side walkway) and watch the traditional and modern sides of this enigmatic city unfold before you
- At the end of a long day, enjoy a relaxing evening at any of the many bars and clubs while listening to the island's rhythms
- It's time for a final night of salsa, hit the streets and celebrate a fantastic adventure
- Extra accommodation in Havana is available at the finishing point homestay for this trip
- There are no activities planned for Day 9 and you are able to depart at any time
What to Know
An experienced local guide in Cuba and there will be the services of local guides at some sites. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 30 Mar 2014 - 07 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $795 On Sale Sale: US $675 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 21 Apr 2014 0 Request US $770 Contact Us 11 May 2014 - 19 May 2014 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 02 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $725 Book Now 08 Jun 2014 - 16 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 20 Jul 2014 - 28 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $775 Book Now 17 Aug 2014 - 25 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $725 Book Now 14 Sep 2014 - 22 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 26 Oct 2014 - 03 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $725 Book Now 23 Nov 2014 - 01 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $795 Book Now 28 Dec 2014 - 05 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $795 Book Now 11 Jan 2015 - 19 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $795 Book Now 08 Feb 2015 - 16 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $775 Book Now 15 Mar 2015 - 23 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 05 Apr 2015 - 13 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 03 May 2015 - 11 May 2015 7+ Available US $725 Book Now 07 Jun 2015 - 15 Jun 2015 7+ Available US $725 Book Now 12 Jul 2015 - 20 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $775 Book Now 02 Aug 2015 - 10 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $725 Book Now 20 Sep 2015 - 28 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 04 Oct 2015 - 12 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $750 Book Now 15 Nov 2015 - 23 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $795 Book Now 27 Dec 2015 - 04 Jan 2016 7+ Available US $795 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Patrice - Geelong, VIC, 28 Dec, 2008
The tour was great and the tour leader Sergio was fantastic. It would be good to have another day in Havana as part of the formal tour to spend more time at some of the sights such as the cigar factory, Capitol Building and explore the city more. Great trip!