Mexico is everything you dreamed of and more. Smash some delicious treats in Mexico City, see some of the bazillion churches in Puebla, taste the best margaritas around in Oaxaca, swing through San Cristobal and Palenque, play in Merida the ‘white city’, and finish up snorkeling, diving, swimming, tanning and eating in Cancun. Life could be worse.
It's time to live out your Mexican food fantasies. Tequila, burritos, nachos, tacos... is your mouth watering yet?
Day 1-2 - Mexico City
- A visit to Mexico City wouldn't be a visit to Mexico City without trying to eat as many Mexican delicacies as you possibly can. That means pambazos for breakfast, camotes for a mid-morning snack, tacos for lunch, chicharrones for afternoon tea and burritos for dinner. Visit the Teotihuacan ruins, they're awesnificient (new word).
- Day 1
- Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm
- Day 2
- Go on an orientation tour of the city
- Enjoy a free afternoon, perhaps visit the Teotihuacan ruins, or explore Mexico's nightlife
Day 3-4 - Puebla
Puebla is packed with churches (70 in the city centre alone), so the best thing to do is check out a few, then head to the market for local hand-painted ceramics and street food.
Free morning/afternoon in Mexico City
- Catch a late afternoon bus to Puebla
- This evening and tomorrow are free to discover Puebla.
- Perhaps visit some of Puebla's 70 churches or thousand or so colonial buildings
Day 5-7 - Oaxaca/Overnight Bus
Next up is Oaxaca. This is the place to shop for colourful textiles and lots of different margarita flavours.
Travel by local bus (approx 5 hours) to Oaxaca
- Get lost among Oaxaca's renowned handicraft markets
Perhaps relax in a local cafe after a haggling frenzy
- Day 7
- Optional visit to Monte Alban ruins
- Board an overnight bus to San Cristobal de Las Casas
Day 8-9 - San Cristobal
Ever wondered how to suture a wound using human hair? The Mayans knew all about it, so pick up a few tips.
- Arrive in San Cristobal early in the morning
- The remainder of today and tomorrow are at your leisure
Day 10-11 - Palenque/Overnight Bus
See the impressive 1300-year-old Mayan palace at Palenque with screeching parrots and monkeys as your soundtrack.
- Day 10
- Travel on a local bus to Palenque (approx. 6 hours)
- Spend the afternoon at leisure, partake in optional activities in town
- Day 11
- Explore Palenque ruins with a local guide
- Cool off at the nearby Agua Azul and Misol-Ha waterfalls
- Transfer to the bus station and board an overnight bus to Merida
Day 12-13 - Merida
Nearly every Mexican dish is made using corn tortillas (like tacos, tostadas, flautas, chilaquiles and enchiladas), and there's a bicycle cart on almost every corner in Merida selling elotes (corn on the cob) doused in salt, chilli, cheese, lemon juice or mayonaise. So yeah, they like corn.
- Day 12
- Early morning arrival into Merida
- Utilise your tour guide to make the most of free time exploring the 'White City'
- Day 13
- Optional visit to the Mayan ruins of Uxmal
Day 14-15 - Chichen Itza - Playa del Carmen
Cancun. People either hate it or love it. We're guessing after two days of snorkelling, diving, swimming, tanning, seafood, cocktails and freshly squeezed juices you'll be leaning towards the latter.
- Set off for the Caribbean Coast
- Swing by one of Mexico's most famous Mayan sites, Chichen Itza
- Spend plenty of time learning about and exploring the temples, pyramids and ruins (optional)
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
An experienced local leader in Mexico and there will be the services of local guides at some sites. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 14 Oct 2014 - 28 Oct 2014 Available US $1,120 Book Now 04 Nov 2014 - 18 Nov 2014 Available US $930 Book Now 16 Dec 2014 - 30 Dec 2014 Available US $1,120 Book Now 30 Dec 2014 - 13 Jan 2015 Available US $930 Book Now 06 Jan 2015 - 20 Jan 2015 Available US $1,120 Book Now 27 Jan 2015 - 10 Feb 2015 Available US $1,120 Book Now 24 Feb 2015 - 10 Mar 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 17 Mar 2015 - 31 Mar 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 31 Mar 2015 - 14 Apr 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 07 Apr 2015 - 21 Apr 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 05 May 2015 - 19 May 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 26 May 2015 - 09 Jun 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 07 Jul 2015 - 21 Jul 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 28 Jul 2015 - 11 Aug 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 18 Aug 2015 - 01 Sep 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 15 Sep 2015 - 29 Sep 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 06 Oct 2015 - 20 Oct 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 17 Nov 2015 - 01 Dec 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 08 Dec 2015 - 22 Dec 2015 Available US $1,090 Book Now 29 Dec 2015 - 12 Jan 2016 Available US $1,090 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.