River Deep, Mountain High, Jungle Very Jungly
Amazon animals to avoid: poison dart frogs, piranhas, anacondas, jaguars, vipers, caimans, tarantulas. We could go on but we’re starting to freak ourselves out. Quick, everybody think about sloths. Awwwww.
(Was Amazon & Incas)
Day 1-2 - Lima
You've got two days to see Lima. Try to find a chifa restaurant - a fusion of Peruvian and Chinese food. It's delicious.
- Arrive in Lima
- Morning tour briefing
- Spend free time exploring Peru's capital
Day 3-5 - Puno - Lake Titicaca
Catch a flight to Puno on the shoes of Lake Titicaca. Stay with a local family on the island of Amantani. This is one of the more remote islands so prepare yourself for a 'real' house with a lot of mod-cons (ie no hairdryer).
- Catch a flight to Puno, on the shores of Lake Titicaca
- Take a boat across Lake Titicaca to the Uros' floating reed islands
- Enjoy a homestay on Amantani Island
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Indulge in a breakfast with your host family
- Board an afternoon boat back to Puno
Day 6 - Puno - Cusco
Jump on a bus to Cusco, via Le Raya Pass (4321m). Keep yourself amused by a game of "Spot The Animals Getting It On" and "Rocks That Look Like Your Mum".
- Acclimatise in Cusco in preparation for the Inca trek
Day 7 - Cusco
Treat yourself to a bit of "me time". Make friends with the juice ladies at San Pedro market, get a massage, or find a bakery that sells borrachitos - chocolate cupcakes soaked in pisco (maybe wait until after breakfast for this one).
- Take a walking tour of central Cusco
- Explore Cusco and see the local sights during free time
Day 8-11 - Inca Trek
Imagine the look on Hiram Bingham's face when he stumbled across Machu Picchu in 1911. Old Hiram was an academic and senator from America so it was probably the single most exciting thing that happened in his life.
- Gaze upon massive Inca fortifications in Ollantaytambo
- Begin the Inca trek
- Hike past the ancient hilltop fort of Huillca Raccay and the archaeological site of Llactapata
- Stunning views of snow-capped Veronica Peak
- Camp near the village of Wayllabamba
- The most difficult part of the trek - Dead Woman’s Pass
- Panoramas of the Vilcanota and Vilcabama mountain ranges, and ruins in the valley below
- Camp with a view over the cloud forest
- Climb up to the ruins of Runkuracay
- Continue up the Inca staircase
- Spectacular views of Pumasillo and the entire Vilcabamba range
- Enter the beautiful cloud forest
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- The final, and most spectacular, leg of the trek to Machu Picchu
- Arrive at Inti Punku, the Gateway of the Sun
- Experience a panoramic view of Machu Picchu at sunrise
- Explore Machu Picchu on a guided tour
- Return to Cusco by train
Day 12 - Cusco
Just relax and rest your weary legs, which should be looking quite svelte by this stage of the trip. Bonus.
- Relax and unwind or spend free time exploring Cusco's many markets, museums, eateries and local sights
Day 13-14 - Amazon Jungle
Take a boat down the Tambopata River to our jungle lodge. Your local guide will point out the weird and wonderful, like the lipstick tree, voodoo lily and misshapen penis plant.
- Fly to Puerto Maldonado, deep in the Peruvian Amazon
- Take a two-hour boat trip to the jungle lodge
- Head into the jungle with a guide and learn about the Amazon's wildlife, jungle food and flora and fauna
- Take in the views from a 30m high canopy tower
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Wake early and take a boat ride in search of giant river otters, caimen, hoatzin and wading birds
- Journey to indigenous Indian farmlands
- Optional evening presentation on the Infierno Ecotourism project
Day 15 - Lima
Boat and fly back to Lima. You're now a certified jungle explorer and can pretty much do the voiceover for a BBC wildlife doco.
- Transfer by boat back to Puerto Maldonado
- Fly over the Andes back to Lima
- The trip ends once you arrive in the Peruvian capital
- Tour ends on arrival at Lima Airport – please ensure departure flights are not booked out of Lima prior to 1700hrs.
What to Know
• Gecko's expert English-speaking local leader throughout the tour, a specialist trekking guide, assistant trekking guide, and local guides at some sites.
• Local flights from Lima to Juliaca, Cusco to Puerto Maldonado and Puerto Maldonado to Lima.
• Trek on the ‘Classic’ or ‘Quarry’ routes to Machu Picchu with full service camping including porters, cook and equipment (tent and inflatable sleeping mat).
• Guided tour of Machu Picchu, including entrance and park fees.
• Cusco walking tour.
• Return boat trip on the Tambopata River to/from Amazon jungle lodge.
• Two nights in the Amazon including jungle activities with a local native guide, a visit to a parakeet clay-lick, a traditional boat excursion and a visit to the indigenous Indian farmlands.
• Boat trip to the floating reed islands on Lake Titicaca.
• Homestay on Amantani Island including meals with host family and an exploration of the island.
• Transfers from Lima hotel to the airport and from Juliaca airport to the hotel.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 26 May 2013 - 09 Jun 2013 0 Request US $3,055 Contact Us 09 Jun 2013 - 23 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $3,055 On Sale Sale: US $2,681 Book Now 04 Aug 2013 - 18 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 01 Sep 2013 - 15 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 15 Sep 2013 - 29 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 On Sale Sale: US $2,432 Book Now 29 Sep 2013 - 13 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 27 Oct 2013 - 10 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 17 Nov 2013 - 01 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 08 Dec 2013 - 22 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 29 Dec 2013 - 12 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 19 Jan 2014 - 02 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,760 Book Now 09 Feb 2014 - 23 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,760 Book Now 02 Mar 2014 - 16 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,760 Book Now 23 Mar 2014 - 06 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,760 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 27 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 04 May 2014 - 18 May 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 08 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 08 Jun 2014 - 22 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 22 Jun 2014 - 06 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 06 Jul 2014 - 20 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 20 Jul 2014 - 03 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 03 Aug 2014 - 17 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 17 Aug 2014 - 31 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 31 Aug 2014 - 14 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 14 Sep 2014 - 28 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 28 Sep 2014 - 12 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 12 Oct 2014 - 26 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 26 Oct 2014 - 09 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 16 Nov 2014 - 30 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 07 Dec 2014 - 21 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now 28 Dec 2014 - 11 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $3,055 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.
What to know