Some of my Best Friends are Peruvian
Nobody’s quite sure how the bowler hat came to be so popular among Quechua and Aymara women. It’s too small for their heads, it doesn’t protect from the sun and it’s not waterproof. But let’s be honest, it looks great.
(Was Peru Rambler)
Day 1-2 - Lima
Head to Pizza Alley in Miraflores. Jill found a great bar hidden down a laneway here, but she forgot the name (something to do with pisco sours). Let us know if you find it.
- Arrive in Lima
- Morning tour briefing
- Spend free time exploring Peru's capital
Day 3-4 - Amazon Jungle
Almost 50% of the world's plants an animals live here; there's 1800 species of butterflies and 200 species of mosquito. If you can't fall asleep if your hammock tonight, try counting them.
- Fly to Puerto Maldonado, deep in the Peruvian Amazon
- Take a two-hour boat trip to the jungle lodge
- Head into the jungle with a guide and learn about the Amazon's wildlife, jungle food and flora and fauna
- Take in the views from a 30m high canopy tower
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Wake early and take a boat ride in search of giant river otters, caimen, hoatzin and wading birds
- Journey to indigenous Indian farmlands
- Optional evening presentation on the Infierno Ecotourism project
Day 5-6 - Cusco
Once you've gotten used to the altitude (you're at about 3300m), Cusco is a pretty amazing place: bars, restaurants, cute cobblestone streets, the Plaza de Armas, Sacred Valley and heaps of Inca ruins. See if you can spot the huge 'Viva el Peru' carved into the side of a hill.
- Acclimatise in Cusco in preparation for the Inca trek
- Take a walking tour of central Cusco
- Explore Cusco and see the local sights during free time
Day 7-10 - Inca Trek
Our porters are a friendly bunch, except when they're kicking your butt at soccer. You might not speak the same language, but you'll definitely become mates.
- Gaze upon massive Inca fortifications in Ollantaytambo
- Begin the Inca trek
- Hike past the ancient hilltop fort of Huillca Raccay and the archaeological site of Llactapata
- Stunning views of snow-capped Veronica Peak
- Camp near the village of Wayllabamba
- The most difficult part of the trek - Dead Woman’s Pass
- Panoramas of the Vilcanota and Vilcabama mountain ranges, and ruins in the valley below
- Camp with a view over the cloud forest
- Climb up to the ruins of Runkuracay
- Continue up the Inca staircase
- Spectacular views of Pumasillo and the entire Vilcabamba range
- Enter the beautiful cloud forest
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- The final, and most spectacular, leg of the trek to Machu Picchu
- Arrive at Inti Punku, the Gateway of the Sun
- Experience a panoramic view of Machu Picchu at sunrise
- Explore Machu Picchu on a guided tour
- Return to Cusco by train
Day 11-14 - Cusco - Lake Titicaca
You've earned a free day in Cusco. Then it's off to visit the Uros Indians who live on floating reed islands. Play soccer against the kids on your overnight homestay. Don't be embarrassed when you lose.
- Relax and unwind or spend free time exploring Cusco's many markets, museums, eateries and local sights
- Catch a flight to Puno, on the shores of Lake Titicaca
- Take a boat across Lake Titicaca to the Uros' floating reed islands
- Enjoy a homestay on Amantani Island
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Indulge in a breakfast with your host family
- Board an afternoon boat back to Puno
Day 15-17 - La Paz
Welcome to Bolivia, land of the tiny bowler hat, Witches Market (complete with dried llama fetuses), cholita wrestling and Death Road.
- Follow the shore of Lake Titicaca and stop for lunch in Copacabana
- Visit a 17th-century Cathedral
- Continue the journey to La Paz
- Free time to relax or explore the cobblestone streets, narrow alleyways and markets of La Paz
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
An experienced local leader and there will be the services of local guides at some sites. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 24 May 2013 - 09 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $2,870 On Sale Sale: US $2,252 Book Now 05 Jul 2013 - 21 Jul 2013 0 Request US $2,870 Contact Us 16 Aug 2013 - 01 Sep 2013 6 Available US $2,870 Book Now 30 Aug 2013 - 15 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,870 On Sale Sale: US $2,252 Book Now 13 Sep 2013 - 29 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 11 Oct 2013 - 27 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 25 Oct 2013 - 10 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 08 Nov 2013 - 24 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 29 Nov 2013 - 15 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 20 Dec 2013 - 05 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 10 Jan 2014 - 26 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,575 Book Now 31 Jan 2014 - 16 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,575 Book Now 21 Feb 2014 - 09 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,575 Book Now 14 Mar 2014 - 30 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,575 Book Now 04 Apr 2014 - 20 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 25 Apr 2014 - 11 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 09 May 2014 - 25 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 23 May 2014 - 08 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 06 Jun 2014 - 22 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 20 Jun 2014 - 06 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 04 Jul 2014 - 20 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 18 Jul 2014 - 03 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 01 Aug 2014 - 17 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 15 Aug 2014 - 31 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 29 Aug 2014 - 14 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 12 Sep 2014 - 28 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 26 Sep 2014 - 12 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 10 Oct 2014 - 26 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 24 Oct 2014 - 09 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 07 Nov 2014 - 23 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 28 Nov 2014 - 14 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now 19 Dec 2014 - 04 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $2,870 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.
What to know