The Track to Inca City
If you just want to do the Inca Trail/Machu Picchu, then this is your trip. With a local tour guide and enough porters to poke a (walking) stick at, you'll love every minute of it. Well, almost.
(Inca Trek & Machu Picchu)
Day 1 - Cusco
Welcome to Cusco, the Inca Capital of Peru.
Your tour will start at 4pm today with an orientation walk of Cusco.
This evening at approximately 6pm there will be a group meeting.
Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. It even happened to Sir Edmund Hillary!
Before your trip:
Some pre-existing medical conditions are known to severely worsen at high altitude and be difficult to adequately treat on the ground, leading to more serious consequences. It is imperative that you discuss your pre-existing medical condition/s with your doctor
We understand certain medications are reported to aid acclimatizing to high altitude. Please discuss these options with your doctor.
During your trip:
While our leaders have basic first aid training and are aware of the closest medical facilities, it is very important that you are aware of the cause and effects of travelling at altitude, monitor your health and seek assistance accordingly.
Day 2-5 - Inca Trek
There will be a few tough days. Dead Woman's pass on Day 2 will test you, but it's worth all the sweat and tears when you watch the sunrise at Machu Picchu's Gateway of the Sun. Pretty apt name.
- Gaze upon massive Inca fortifications in Ollantaytambo
- Begin the Inca trek
- Hike past the ancient hilltop fort of Huillca Raccay and the archaeological site of Llactapata
- Stunning views of snow-capped Veronica Peak
- Camp near the village of Ayapata
- The most difficult part of the trek - Dead Woman’s Pass
- Panoramas of the Vilcanota and Vilcabama mountain ranges, and ruins in the valley below
- Camp with a view over the cloud forest
- Climb up to the ruins of Runkuracay
- Continue up the Inca staircase
- Spectacular views of Pumasillo and the entire Vilcabamba range
- Enter the beautiful cloud forest
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- The final, and most spectacular, leg of the trek to Machu Picchu
- Arrive at Inti Punku, the Gateway of the Sun at approximately 730-8am
- Experience a panoramic view of Machu Picchu
- Explore Machu Picchu on a guided tour
- Return to Cusco by train
Day 6 - Cusco
Thank the great God Huiracocha that you don't have to get up at daybreak and hike the hills all day.
- This Incan adventure comes to an end this morning.
What to Know
• Gecko's English-speaking specialist trekking guide and assistant trekking guide.
• Trek on the ‘Classic’ or ‘Quarry’ route to Machu Picchu with full service camping including porters, cook and equipment (sleeping bag and inflatable sleeping mat).
• Guided tour of Machu Picchu including entrance and park fees.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 08 Aug 2015 - 13 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,031 Book Now 18 Aug 2015 - 23 Aug 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,031 Book Now 02 Sep 2015 - 07 Sep 2015 1 place left US $1,175 Book Now 15 Sep 2015 - 20 Sep 2015 Available smokin' deal Sale: US $888 Book Now 22 Sep 2015 - 27 Sep 2015 Available US $1,100 Book Now 04 Oct 2015 - 09 Oct 2015 Available US $1,100 Book Now 20 Oct 2015 - 25 Oct 2015 Available US $1,175 Book Now 26 Oct 2015 - 31 Oct 2015 Available US $1,100 Book Now 05 Nov 2015 - 10 Nov 2015 Available US $1,100 Book Now 17 Nov 2015 - 22 Nov 2015 Available US $1,175 Book Now 24 Nov 2015 - 29 Nov 2015 Available US $1,145 Book Now 01 Dec 2015 - 06 Dec 2015 Available US $1,190 Book Now 22 Dec 2015 - 27 Dec 2015 Available US $1,225 Book Now 30 Dec 2015 - 04 Jan 2016 Available US $1,190 Book Now 05 Jan 2016 - 10 Jan 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 18 Jan 2016 - 23 Jan 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 19 Jan 2016 - 24 Jan 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 01 Mar 2016 - 06 Mar 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 12 Apr 2016 - 17 Apr 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 10 May 2016 - 15 May 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 24 May 2016 - 29 May 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 07 Jun 2016 - 12 Jun 2016 Available US $1,180 Book Now 21 Jun 2016 - 26 Jun 2016 Available US $1,180 Book Now 05 Jul 2016 - 10 Jul 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 19 Jul 2016 - 24 Jul 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 02 Aug 2016 - 07 Aug 2016 Available US $1,225 Book Now 30 Aug 2016 - 04 Sep 2016 Available US $1,180 Book Now 13 Sep 2016 - 18 Sep 2016 Available US $1,180 Book Now 26 Sep 2016 - 01 Oct 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 27 Sep 2016 - 02 Oct 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 11 Oct 2016 - 16 Oct 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 25 Oct 2016 - 30 Oct 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 08 Nov 2016 - 13 Nov 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 21 Nov 2016 - 26 Nov 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 22 Nov 2016 - 27 Nov 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 06 Dec 2016 - 11 Dec 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 19 Dec 2016 - 24 Dec 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now 20 Dec 2016 - 25 Dec 2016 Available US $1,135 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
The Track to Inca City
Alex - Australia, 10 Apr, 2013
The experience was always going to be amazing, and it was!! but the hotel to begin and end the trip was below our expectations. Hotel Leonards was more a hostel style lodging which we understand maybe necessary for keeping costs down, but had we been aware of the condition and style of rooms we would have been happy to pay extra for something more comfortable. It was cold, damp and cramped. Being over 6ft 6 tall the beds were to small and uncomfortable for myself, and with little room i was unable to put the mattress on the floor to stretch out. had i of been aware of this prior i would have made some alternative arrangements.
The Track to Inca City
Yen Ming - United States, 4 Jul, 2012
We had a wonderful time and very good experiance from this well organized tour. The local tour guides are very knowledgeable, and helpful. The meals on the Lares treck are excellent. It was not easy trip but we were able to complete without any problems. Thank everyone who made our trip possible.
- Page 1
What to know