You're so Altiplano
La Paz is the highest capital city on Earth. Once you get over the altitude cikness you'll feel like 7 million Bolivianos (that's a million bucks to you).
(Was Inca Highlands)
Day 1-2 - Lima
Follow your nose to the Plaza de Armas for a Tunki coffee (Peru's own) and a chicharron (deep fried pork, deep fried sweet potatoes and red onion in a sandwich).
- Arrive in Lima
- Morning tour briefing
- Spend free time exploring the Peruvian capital
Day 3-4 - Cusco
Two things they love in Cusco - spontaneous festivals and stray dogs. You're bound to come across one or both of these over the next few days.
- Acclimatise in Cusco in preparation for the Inca trek
- Take a walking tour of central Cusco
- Explore Cusco and see the local sights during free time
Day 5-8 - Inca Trek
Just remember one step at a time and you'll get to Machu Picchu with no worries at all.
- Gaze upon massive Inca fortifications in Ollantaytambo
- Begin the Inca trek
- Hike past the ancient hilltop fort of Huillca Raccay and the archaeological site of Llactapata
- Stunning views of snow-capped Veronica Peak
- Camp near the village of Wayllabamba
- The most difficult part of the trek - Dead Woman’s Pass
- Panoramas of the Vilcanota and Vilcabama mountain ranges, and ruins in the valley below
- Camp with a view over the cloud forest
- Climb up to the ruins of Runkuracay
- Continue up the Inca staircase
- Spectacular views of Pumasillo and the entire Vilcabamba range
- Enter the beautiful cloud forest
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- The final, and most spectacular, leg of the trek to Machu Picchu
- Arrive at Inti Punku, the Gateway of the Sun
- Experience a panoramic view of Machu Picchu at sunrise
- Explore Machu Picchu on a guided tour
- Return to Cusco by train
Day 9-10 - Cusco - Puno
Got some knots and niggles from the trek? Head to the main plaza and start haggling for a massage. Then it's off to Sacred Valley and Sacsayhuaman for more ruins.
- Relax and unwind or spend free time exploring Cusco's many markets, museums, eateries and local sights
- Catch a bus to Puno, on the shores of Lake Titicaca
Day 11 - Lake Titicaca
Have a sleepover with a local Uros Indian family on Lake Titicaca. Indulge in some home cooking, a few local beers and a bit of musical entertainment (hint: you'll be asked to join in so don't be shy).
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Take a boat across Lake Titicaca to the Uros' floating reed islands
- Enjoy a homestay on Amantani Island
Day 12-13 - Puno - La Paz
Pretty spectacular bus ride to La Paz as we follow the lake. La Paz basically sits in a giant bowl so the ride down into the city is hairy but awesome.
- Indulge in a breakfast with your host family
- Take time to explore the island
- Board an afternoon boat back to Puno
- Stop for lunch in Copacabana en route to La Paz
Day 14-15 - La Paz
Free time to roam the cobblestone streets, shop for kitsch souvenirs at Calle Linares (pan pipes anyone?) and dried llama foetuses at the Witches' Market.
- Arrive in La Paz and enjoy free time exploring Bolivia's capital city
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
An experienced Peruvian tour leader and there will be the services of local guides at some sites. All transportation, accommodation. sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 26 May 2013 - 09 Jun 2013 7+ Closed US $2,250 Closed 07 Jul 2013 - 21 Jul 2013 0 Request US $2,250 Contact Us 18 Aug 2013 - 01 Sep 2013 6 Available US $2,250 Book Now 01 Sep 2013 - 15 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,250 On Sale Sale: US $1,763 Book Now 15 Sep 2013 - 29 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $2,250 On Sale Sale: US $1,763 Book Now 13 Oct 2013 - 27 Oct 2013 4 Available US $2,250 Book Now 27 Oct 2013 - 10 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 10 Nov 2013 - 24 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 01 Dec 2013 - 15 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 22 Dec 2013 - 05 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 12 Jan 2014 - 26 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $2,020 Book Now 02 Feb 2014 - 16 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $2,020 Book Now 23 Feb 2014 - 09 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,020 Book Now 16 Mar 2014 - 30 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $2,020 Book Now 06 Apr 2014 - 20 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 27 Apr 2014 - 11 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 11 May 2014 - 25 May 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 25 May 2014 - 08 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 08 Jun 2014 - 22 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 22 Jun 2014 - 06 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 06 Jul 2014 - 20 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 20 Jul 2014 - 03 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 03 Aug 2014 - 17 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 17 Aug 2014 - 31 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 31 Aug 2014 - 14 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 14 Sep 2014 - 28 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 28 Sep 2014 - 12 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 12 Oct 2014 - 26 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 26 Oct 2014 - 09 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 09 Nov 2014 - 23 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 30 Nov 2014 - 14 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now 21 Dec 2014 - 04 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $2,250 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.
What to know