It's a Jungle Out There
Although it’s a mother of a temple, Cambodia’s more than just its Wat.
(Was Cambodia in Depth)
Day 1-3 - Siem Reap - Angkor
Siem Reap is your base to explore the temples. One day you’ll have a local site guide and the other is free to go back to the spots you liked best.
- Arrive in Siem Reap and get to know this busy city
- Take an informative day-long tour of the Angkor complex, visiting the South Gate of Angkor Thom, Bayon, Elephant Terrace, Baphoun, the Royal Enclosure, Phimeanakas, Terrace of the Leper King, Ta Prohm and, of course, Angkor Wat
- Free time to do some exploring of your own
- Optional visit to the rose-coloured Banteay Srei Temple
- Perhaps visit Banteay Srei, located about 30 kilometres north of Siem Reap - considered to be the best preserved of all of Cambodia’s temples
- Optional trip with into the countryside to discover facets of rural life with a local site guide
- Kick back in Siem Reap and just wander around the town, visiting its market, shops and restaurants
Day 4-5 - Phnom Penh
Add spiders to your list of weird-stuff-I’ve-eaten-overseas in the village of Skuon. Day 5 will be hard as we hear the tragic stories of the Khmer Rouge era from our local guide.
- Take a cyclo sightseeing tour of Phnom Penh to include the Royal Palace and the infamous Tuol Sleng Prison
- Join a bus to visit another reminder of the Khmer Rouge atrocities, the Choeung Ek killing fields
- Visit the Central Market, located in an old French colonial building - a good place to look for clothing or sarongs
- Enjoy the rest of the day exploring Phnom Penh city
- Perhaps stop by the Silver Pagoda, the temple of Wat Phnom, the National Museum and the French Quarter
Day 6 - Chambok Homestay
Spend the night in a local homestay and bust some moves on the dance floor after a traditional Khmer performance.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Travel south along National Road 4 in the direction of Sihanoukville
- Be greeted by your host familiy and settle down for lunch with them
- Embark on a three-kilometre walk along a nature trail
- Visit a cave inhabited by bats, indulge in some bird watching and enjoy a swim in a natural pool at the base of a 40-metre waterfall
- Perhaps enjoy a ride on an oxcart
- We spend the night in a homestay as guests of the local people
- Watch the youths of the village put on a performance of traditional Khmer dancing
Day 7-8 - Sihanoukville
You’ve got to admire the kids here. Before you can say “No thanks I’m just going to have a quick nap on this lovely beach chair”, you’ll be the proud owner of 10 personalised friendship bracelets. Don’t leave without seeing what the fruit sellers on the beach can do with a pineapple. It’s a work of art.
- Arrive at Sihanoukville, a place that has been earmarked as Cambodia’s main beach resort development
- Get a feel for this quiet location by enjoying a relaxing afternoon on Occheuteal Beach or wandering across to nearby Otres Beach, Sokha Beach or Independence Beach
- Perhaps wander down and explore the town centre
Day 9-10 - Phnom Penh
A cooking class lets you unleash your inner chef. Then taste the real thing on your last night in Phnom Penh. We suggest embracing your inner vegan at K’nyay, tucked away off Suramarit Blvd.
- Enjoy a final morning on the beach at Sihanoukville
- Perhaps participate in an optional cooking class, where a local chef will teach you the finer points of preparing the local cuisine
- Travel by private bus back to Phnom Penh, and spend the last night in the capital
- The trip ends today after breakfast
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking local tour guide throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Cyclo tour of Phnom Penh including the Royal Palace and Tuol Sleng Prison. Visit to the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and the Russian Market.
• Day tour of the Angkor complex including the South Gate of Angkor Thom, Bayon, Elephant Terrace, Baphoun, the Royal Enclosure, Phimeanakas, Terrace of the Leper King, Ta Prohm and Angkor Wat.
• Homestay at the Chambok community-based ecotourism site. Lunch and dinner with the host families, a performance of traditional Khmer dancing, visit to a bat cave, bird watching and swimming in a natural pool.
• Time on the beaches of Sihanoukville.
• Free time to explore Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 26 May 2013 - 04 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $925 On Sale Sale: US $694 Book Now 09 Jun 2013 - 18 Jun 2013 4 Available US $925 Book Now 23 Jun 2013 - 02 Jul 2013 7+ Available US $925 On Sale Sale: US $694 Book Now 21 Jul 2013 - 30 Jul 2013 0 Request US $815 Contact Us 04 Aug 2013 - 13 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $815 Book Now 15 Sep 2013 - 24 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 13 Oct 2013 - 22 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 27 Oct 2013 - 05 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 10 Nov 2013 - 19 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 24 Nov 2013 - 03 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 08 Dec 2013 - 17 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 22 Dec 2013 - 31 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 05 Jan 2014 - 14 Jan 2014 5 Available US $925 Book Now 12 Jan 2014 - 21 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 26 Jan 2014 - 04 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 02 Feb 2014 - 11 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 16 Feb 2014 - 25 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 02 Mar 2014 - 11 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 16 Mar 2014 - 25 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 30 Mar 2014 - 08 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 13 Apr 2014 - 22 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 20 Apr 2014 - 29 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 27 Apr 2014 - 06 May 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 04 May 2014 - 13 May 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 11 May 2014 - 20 May 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 01 Jun 2014 - 10 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now 29 Jun 2014 - 08 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $925 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.