The Bit Beyond Ubud
Ubud is great and all, but so is the sunset at Lovina, the guesthouse atop Mt Batur, the markets in Sanur, the trek up Sengiggi and the snorkeling off Gili Islands. Just sayin’.
Live out your inner hippy fantasies: drench yourself in patchouli, throw away your razor and buy a pair of fishermen pants so wide you could smuggle a monkey out of the country.
(Was Bali & Lombok Explored)
Day 1-2 - Ubud
Get to Ubud whenever you like because today’s the official start of your trip. Meet up with your local tour guide and fellow travellers tonight.
Temples, paddy fields, arts and crafts markets - this is Indonesia 101. Get acquainted.
- Arrive in Ubud -the cultural centre of Balinese life
- Attend a welcome meeting at 6pm
- Explore the temples, paddy fields and the famous art and craft market in the centre of town
- We do not recommend visiting the Monkey Forest in Ubud due to safety reasons
Day 3-4 - Lovina
Isn’t it nice that the sunset here coincides with happy hour at most places? As far as sunsets go, this one is pretty good. Stock up on sarongs at the Bedugul market.
- Drive towards Bali’s northern coast via the temples of Taman Ayun and the market at Bedugul
- Visit Gitgit Waterfalls and perhaps take a swim
- Drive over the highlands that divide the north coast from the south
Day 5 - Mount Batur - Kintamani
Set the alarm early if you want to hit the water on a dolphin watching cruise. Head up the slopes of Mount Batur to our guesthouse for the night.
- Perhaps make the most of waking up early for an optional dolphin cruise
- Leave the coast and ascend the scenic slopes of Mount (Gunung) Batur
- Stop at several viewpoints to take in views of the crater and its lake
- Stay overnight in the Kintamani area - a highland town at an altitude of 1500 metres
Day 6-7 - Sanur
Those who are fit and don't mind a 2 am start can attempt an optional climb up to the top of Mount Batur for sunrise
Travel to Sanur. Nothing planned here. Just follow your nose to markets, food stalls and beaches. Or stay in bed and sleep. Hey, we're not the boss of you.
Hang out at one of Bali’s best beaches
Perhaps sit on the beach, go out to eat, relax
Maybe squeeze in some optional watersports or visit a turtle conservation centreBreakfast
Day 8 - Senaru
Everyone thought Mount Rinjani was extinct, til she went and erupted in 1994. And again in 2009. Then three times in 2010. So she's not even close to being extinct actually.
- Cross by fast boat to Lombok and drive to Senaru
Enjoy the lovely surrounds - undertake optional village walks and visit the nearby waterfalls and rice terraces
- Accommodation is simple with cold water showers, but the weather is hot!
Day 9-10 - Senggigi
You can trek up Mount Rinjani today and spend the night camping on the slopes. Only if you want to. A full day’s walk gets you to the rim of the crater.
- Perhaps embark on an early start for a trek up the slopes of Rinjani
- Spend a full day walking and arrive at the rim of this volcanic mountain, and spend the night camping under canvas or under the stars
- Hike through mountain forest that echoes to the call of monkeys, and emerge on the moonscape slopes of the volcanic cone
- Reach the rim at sunrise and enjoy the views from above the clouds and looking down into the crater
- Take in the panoramas of Rinjani’s peak, Segara Anak (the crater lake) and the new volcano
- If you do not trek the mountains you can undertake the optional Panorama Walk, which is highly recommended, before driving to Sengiggi, if you embark on the Rinjani trek you will get to Sengiggi on Day 10
Day 11-13 - Gili Islands
The word ‘Gili’ means ‘island’, so it’s name is actually Island Islands. Weird. You've got two days to swim, dive, snorkel or just relax.
- Travel to the Gili Islands - home to the best snorkelling in Lombok
- Spend three days relaxing and exploring on these tranquil islands
Day 14-15 - Sanur
Prepare to get back into the rat race with a hot shave, a haircut or a facial before you leave.
- Transfer back to Sanur via fast boat
- Enjoy the afternoon shopping or relaxing
- Perhaps take an optional last night out with the group
- The trip ends today in the morning
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, all transportation, accommodation and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
The Bit Beyond Ubud
margaret - United Kingdom, 30 Sep, 2012
An excellent trip which gave a fantastic insight in these two Indonesian islands.