Lava Good Temple
Leave Yogyakarta for temples in Borobudur, more temples in Prambanan, markets in Solo, colonial love in Malang, jeep rides up Mount Bromo and a lil’ culture in Ubud. All the good things. Borobodur is a super old temple. It was built 300 years before Angkor Wat and 400 years before any of Europe's great cathedrals. There's 504 Buddha statues here, but you might have to take our word for it.
Day 1-2 - Yogyakarta
Meet your travel buddies in Yogya. Take a cycle rickshaw (becak) tour to the Sultan’s Palace and some puppetry workshops.
- Arrive in Yogyakarta
- Perhaps take an optional city tour by on a cycle rickshaw (becak) to explore the Sultan's Palace, markets and the batik and puppetry workshops of Yogya
- Enjoy free time to wander through the markets in Malioboro Street and check out the many cafes in town
Day 3 - Borobudur - Yogyakarta
Borobudur's temple complex on top of a hill just out of Yogya. We head to an optional puppetry show or gamelan concert in Yogya tonight.
- Spend a day exploring one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in South East Asia
Day 4-5 - Solo - Malang
There's quite a bit of driving over the next two days. First stop is Prambanan and its 220 odd temples, then we stay in Solo and drive to Malang on Day 5.
- Visit the famous Prambanan complex, which encompasses 224 ruined Hindu temples
- Spend a night in Solo, check out its interesting markets, and perhaps visit the Mangkunegaran Palace
- Drive on to the Dutch colonial town of Malang, set in lush countryside
- Stay in a guesthouse just outside the centre of Malang
Day 6-7 - Mount Bromo
Take the lazy-arse way up a mountain, in jeeps, to watch sunrise. Sleep in bungalows on a coffee plantation in the hills near Kalibaru.
- Continue to Mount Bromo (Gunung Bromo)
- Set off in a jeep to the viewpoint
- Arrive at the crater rim in time for sunrise
- Take jeeps to a stunning viewpoint for the sunrise and look across to Mount Bromo, Mount Batok and the peak of Mount Semeru
- Cross the 'sea of sand' and climb 246 steps to the cone of Mount Bromo
- Drive to the hills of Kalibaru, and stay the night in bungalows near coffee, cocoa and rubber plantations
- If you're game for 1 am start, perhaps join an optional night trek to catch dawn by the sulphur lake on top of the Ijen volcano
Day 8 - Ubud
- Journey to Banyuwangi on the eastern tip of Java
- Take a short boat trip across to Gilimanuk, in the paradise island of Bali
- Drive to Ubud - the cultural centre of Balinese life
- The trip ends on Day 8 on arrival in the afternoon in Ubud - around 5pm
- If you have time, perhaps explore the nearby temples, paddy fields and the famous art and craft market in the centre of town
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, all transportation, accommodation and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 16 Nov 2014 - 23 Nov 2014 Available US $870 Book Now 03 May 2015 - 10 May 2015 Available US $870 Book Now 24 May 2015 - 31 May 2015 Available US $870 Book Now 07 Jun 2015 - 14 Jun 2015 Available US $870 Book Now 21 Jun 2015 - 28 Jun 2015 Available US $870 Book Now 26 Jul 2015 - 02 Aug 2015 Available US $870 Book Now 23 Aug 2015 - 30 Aug 2015 Available US $870 Book Now 20 Sep 2015 - 27 Sep 2015 Available US $870 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.