Wild Ones of Borneo
Facts about some Borneo tribes:
· The Kayan-Kenyans believe rice has a female spirit, so they wear scary masks to frighten evil spirits off
· Back in 1912, it was written that “The Ibans are the only tribe to which … head-hunting is pursued as a form of sport”
· The Kadazan and Dusun tribes are known as the ‘Latin lovers of Borneo’ thanks to a healthy appetite for music, life and lurrrve
(Was Amazing Sarawak)
Day 1 - Kota Kinabalu
Bit of free time here to explore the aquarium, Tanjung Aru beach or the handicraft market.
- Arrive in KK and get to know the area
- Perhaps visit the Sabah Museum and the State Mosque
- Why not escape the hustle and bustle of Kota Kinabalu and take a walk up Signal Hill, which offers great views over the city
Day 2-3 - Limbang – Iban Longhouse
Take a ferry then a longboat to our overnight homestay with the local Iban people - descendents of headhunters. Don’t piss them off.
- Board a couple of boats bound for Limbang - a place of much activity during World War II
- Perhaps spent time wandering through the towns before heading into the forested Mulu region
- Travel overland to Medamit
- Continue by longtail boat to overnight accommodation in a traditional longhouse
- Spend the night as guests of Iban hosts and experience a first-hand taste of how the Iban people's life and customs
Day 4 - Headhunters Trail – Camp 5
Few people who aren’t into headhunting get to walk this trail, so think yourself very lucky. Tonight’s accommodation is pretty basic, but you are in the middle of a rainforest.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Farewell your Iban friends and continue on foot
- Trek through a section of lowland forest, known as the Headhunters Trail - a trail was originally used by Kayan warriors,
- Follow the route to the Melinau Gorge and Camp 5
- Stay overnight on the floor in very basic jungle hut accommodation
Day 5-6 - Mulu National Park
Did you know bats always turn left when exiting a cave? Test the theory tonight when you watch the mass exodus of over 3 million bats from Deer Cave.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Catch the longboat down the Melinau River to Mulu
- Explore some of the biggest and most impressive caves in the world - Wind Cave, Clearwater Cave and Deer Cave
- Witness the amazing spectacle of bats emerging from the gaping mouth of Deer Cave at dusk
Day 7 - Kuching
Fly to Kuching on the banks of the Sarawak River. Plenty of free time to dawdle along the waterfront and enjoy a Sarawak laksa loaded with fresh prawn, lime and chilli.
- Fly into Kuching, one of the most attractive cities in South East Asia
- Enjoy ample time to explore this picturesque city
- Perhaps visit Fort Margherita, The Istana, the famous Sarawak Museum, or take a stroll on the waterfront
Day 8-9 - Bako National Park - Kuching
Heaps of wildlife spotting, including long-tailed macaques, wild boar, huge monitor lizards and proboscis monkeys (or “Big Nose” as the other animals call them).
- Take a day trip to Bako National Park, the oldest in Sarawa
- Spend the day exploring and observing local flora and wildlife, and perhaps spot the rare proboscis monkey or Monitor lizards
- Spend the final evening in Kuching
What to Know
All tours are led by an experienced local tour guide, plus the services of local site guides at certain sites. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated. The flights from Mulu to Miri and from Miri to Kuching are included in the tour price and will be provided locally.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 13 Aug 2013 - 21 Aug 2013 6 Request US $1,325 Book Now 10 Sep 2013 - 18 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 24 Sep 2013 - 02 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 On Sale Sale: US $1,040 Book Now 08 Oct 2013 - 16 Oct 2013 7+ Request US $1,325 Book Now 05 Nov 2013 - 13 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 03 Dec 2013 - 11 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 31 Dec 2013 - 08 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 14 Jan 2014 - 22 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 28 Jan 2014 - 05 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 11 Feb 2014 - 19 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 25 Feb 2014 - 05 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 11 Mar 2014 - 19 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 25 Mar 2014 - 02 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 08 Apr 2014 - 16 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 22 Apr 2014 - 30 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 06 May 2014 - 14 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 20 May 2014 - 28 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 03 Jun 2014 - 11 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 17 Jun 2014 - 25 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 01 Jul 2014 - 09 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now 15 Jul 2014 - 23 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,480 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.