Wild Ones of Borneo
Facts about some Borneo tribes:
· The Kayan-Kenyans believe rice has a female spirit, so they wear scary masks to frighten evil spirits off
· Back in 1912, it was written that “The Ibans are the only tribe to which … head-hunting is pursued as a form of sport”
· The Kadazan and Dusun tribes are known as the ‘Latin lovers of Borneo’ thanks to a healthy appetite for music, life and lurrrve
(Was Amazing Sarawak)
Day 1 - Kota Kinabalu
Bit of free time to explore the aquarium, Tanjung Aru beach or the handicraft market.
- Arrive in KK and get to know the area
- Perhaps visit the Sabah Museum and the State Mosque
- Why not escape the hustle and bustle of Kota Kinabalu and take a walk up Signal Hill, which offers great views over the city
Day 2-3 - Limbang – Iban Longhouse
Take a ferry then a longboat to your overnight homestay with the local Iban people - descendents of headhunters. Don’t piss them off.
- Board a couple of boats bound for Limbang - a place of much activity during World War II
- Perhaps spent time wandering through the towns before heading into the forested Mulu region
Our big bags will get sent to Miri and we will see them in four day's time.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Travel overland to our overnight accommodation in a traditional longhouse
- Spend the night as guests of Iban hosts and experience a first-hand taste of how the Iban people's life and customs
Day 4 - Headhunters Trail – Camp 5
Few people who aren’t into headhunting get to walk this trail, so think yourself very lucky. Tonight’s accommodation is pretty basic, but you are in the middle of a rainforest, so suck it up!
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Farewell your Iban friends and continue by boat
- Trek through a section of lowland forest, known as the Headhunters Trail - a trail was originally used by Kayan warriors,
- Follow the route to the Melinau Gorge and Camp 5
- Stay overnight on the floor in very basic jungle hut accommodation
Day 5-6 - Mulu National Park
Did you know that bats always turn left when exiting a cave? Test the theory tonight when you watch the mass exodus of over 3 million bats from Deer Cave.
Breakfast | Lunch
- Catch the longboat down the Melinau River to Mulu
- Explore some of the biggest and most impressive caves in the world - Wind Cave, Clearwater Cave and Deer Cave
- Witness the amazing spectacle of bats emerging from the gaping mouth of Deer Cave at dusk
- Stay overnight in dormitory rooms in Mulu National Park
Day 7 - Kuching
Fly to Kuching on the banks of the Sarawak River. Plenty of free time to dawdle along the waterfront and enjoy a Sarawak laksa loaded with fresh prawn, lime and chilli.
- Fly into Kuching, one of the most attractive cities in South East Asia
- Enjoy ample time to explore this picturesque city
- Perhaps visit Fort Margherita, the Istana, the famous Sarawak Museum, or take a stroll on the waterfront
Day 8-9 - Bako National Park - Kuching
Heaps of wildlife spotting, including long-tailed macaques, wild boar, huge monitor lizards and proboscis monkeys (or “Big Nose” as the other animals call them).
- Take a day trip to Bako National Park, the oldest in Sarawak
- Spend the day exploring and observing local flora and wildlife, and perhaps spot the rare proboscis monkey or Monitor lizards
- Spend the final evening in Kuching
- Trip ends after breakfast on Day 9.
What to Know
All tours are led by an experienced local tour guide. All transport, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated. The flights from Mulu to Miri and from Miri to Kuching are included in the tour price and will be provided locally.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 28 Jan 2014 - 05 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $892 Book Now 11 Mar 2014 - 19 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 25 Mar 2014 - 02 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 01 Apr 2014 - 09 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 27 May 2014 - 04 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 24 Jun 2014 - 02 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 22 Jul 2014 - 30 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 19 Aug 2014 - 27 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 16 Sep 2014 - 24 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $1,190 On Sale Sale: US $1,024 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 10 Mar 2015 - 18 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 07 Apr 2015 - 15 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 05 May 2015 - 13 May 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 02 Jun 2015 - 10 Jun 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 30 Jun 2015 - 08 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 28 Jul 2015 - 05 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 25 Aug 2015 - 02 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now 22 Sep 2015 - 30 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $1,190 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Wild Ones of Borneo
Bronwyn - New Zealand, 17 Jan, 2012
This trip was a really excellent way to see some of the inner, less accessible areas of Sarawak. It was great to step away from the hum-drum routine of daily life, gaining a glimpse into another culture that was different enough to feel like an adventure.... one that felt more like a month rather than 10 days seeing as we fitted so much action in! There was enough flexibility to feel that you were independent, yet enough support to make it easy! The best of both worlds. We saw very few tourists and had many opportunity to interact with the locals which certainly enhanced the experience.