Hills & Sandcastles
Jungle versus beach – the epic battle begins. Elephant ride in the hills or camping on the beach? Swimming in waterfalls or snorkelling in the ocean? By the end of this trip, a victor will be crowned.
(Was Hill Tribes & Beaches)
Day 1-3 - Bangkok - Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi is home to Bridge on the River Kwai, which had a pretty famous movie made about it. Ask your dad, he’s probably got an old VHS floating around.
- Arrive in Bangkok and spend a bit of time getting to know the city
- Arrive in Kanchanaburi and transfer by songthaew to a fan-cooled guesthouse situated near the river
- Travel in a rickshaw to the famous Bridge on the River Kwai and an Allied war cemetery
- Enjoy a full day tour to Hellfire Pass and Erawan National Park and relax in the cool blue waters of the pools beneath the seven-tiered waterfall
- Perhaps trek along the jungle trail to the top of the falls
- At Hellfire Pass, walk down the cutting dug by Allied POW’s during World War II
- Explore the museum and learn more about the POW’s and ASEAN Labourers experience
Day 4 - Ayuthaya
Let your tour guide shine today, as you zip around on a bike tour of the temples together. Practice your card skills on the overnight train to Chiang Mai.
- Travel by local bus through rich farming lands to Ayuthaya, the former capital of old Siam
- Jump on a bike and ride to one of the many temples located in Ayuthaya for a guided tour
- Perhaps continue on to visit more temples, go for a leisurely ride around town or head back to the hotel to chill out
- Board the overnight sleeper train to Chiang Mai in the evening
Day 5-8 - Chiang Mai - Hill Tribe Trek
Let's skip to the best part – an elephant ride along the river! There's a bit of a trek beforehand, but... did we mention the elephant?! Chat to members of a remote hill tribe and stay overnight in a local hut.
- Set off on an excursion to the top of Doi Suthep, with fantastic views over the city
- Perhaps get a traditional Thai massage or even partake in a cooking class
- Why not visit the Night Bazaar a great chance to practice those bargaining skills
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Take a two-day/one-night excursion to a Palong Village in the hills beyond Chiang Mai
- Try to get the hang of elephant riding
- Visit the local villages that are homes to various hill tribes - and perhaps haggle with them for authentic Hilltribe handicrafts
- Sleep overnight in a local village hut as a guest of the hill tribe people
- Return to Chiang Mai for a night and explore the town or shop at its markets
Day 9-10 - Bangkok
Haggle to your heart’s content at Sukhumvit Road, or Chatuchak Market, Khao San Road, MBK, Panthip Plaza… need we go on?
- Spend two days exploring this awesome city
- Visit some of Bangkok’s most famous sights, including the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha
- Enjoy the rest of the day to further explore the city
- Shop for bargains, eat in exotic restaurants and perhaps hit some bars or nightclubs
Day 11-12 - Koh Samui
Swim, snorkel, eat, dive, sunbake, eat, drink, trek, eat, watch sunsets... you get the drift.
- Take a trip around the island in a songthaew, visiting the 15-metre tall Big Buddha
- Enjoy a dip in the cool tropical waterfalls of Na Muang and drop in to see the Mummified Monk
- Spend free time on Koh Samui swimming, lazing in the sun, riding elephants, diving or snorkelling
- Perhaps take an optional day tour to the Ang Thong National Marine Park
Day 13 - Khao Sok National Park
It's a jungle out there. Climb into a canoe and let your tour guide lead the way. A little guesthouse is your home for the night.
- Take the ferry back to the mainland and then continue to Khao Sok National Park by local songthaew
- Head down to the river for a canoeing trip in the country's finest and largest rainforest
- Perhaps spot monkeys playing by the waters edge during the experience
- Optional walks along the many interesting trails and beside the many waterways that exist within the park
Day 14-16 - Bamboo Island Beach Camp - Ao Nang
You don't need to know Orion's Belt from the Big Dipper to know that camping under the stars is awesome.
- Depart by public bus from Khao Sok to Ao Nang
- Arrive at the beautiful and secluded beach area of Ao Nang
- Morning, take the long tail boat to Bamboo Island for beach camping
- Spend time swimming in the warm waters of a hidden tropical paradise
- Enjoy beach over night camping
- Relaxing on the beach soaking up island life, after breakfast return to Ao Nang
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Perhaps visit a rubber plantation and school, take a Thai cooking class or watch some Thai kick-boxing
Day 17-18 - Phuket
Make the most of the sand under your feet in Phuket, because its nearly time to head home.
- Stroll along the streets of Phuket, indulge in shopping opportunities or wander through a local market
- Perhaps consider extending your stay to really make the most of your time in Phuket
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, and there will be the services of local site guides at some sites. All transportation, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 29 Jun 2013 - 16 Jul 2013 6 Available US $1,845 Book Now 10 Aug 2013 - 27 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $1,625 Book Now 07 Sep 2013 - 24 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 21 Sep 2013 - 08 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 19 Oct 2013 - 05 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 02 Nov 2013 - 19 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 30 Nov 2013 - 17 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 21 Dec 2013 - 07 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 28 Dec 2013 - 14 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 11 Jan 2014 - 28 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 18 Jan 2014 - 04 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 25 Jan 2014 - 11 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 01 Feb 2014 - 18 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 08 Feb 2014 - 25 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 15 Feb 2014 - 04 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 22 Feb 2014 - 11 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 01 Mar 2014 - 18 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 08 Mar 2014 - 25 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 15 Mar 2014 - 01 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 22 Mar 2014 - 08 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 29 Mar 2014 - 15 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 05 Apr 2014 - 22 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 12 Apr 2014 - 29 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 19 Apr 2014 - 06 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 26 Apr 2014 - 13 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 03 May 2014 - 20 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 10 May 2014 - 27 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 17 May 2014 - 03 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 24 May 2014 - 10 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 31 May 2014 - 17 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 07 Jun 2014 - 24 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 14 Jun 2014 - 01 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 21 Jun 2014 - 08 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now 28 Jun 2014 - 15 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,845 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.