Laos (Rhymes with WOW)
You know they’re a welcoming bunch when you cross something called the Friendship Bridge. Take a leaf out of the Laotians book and make a few new friends in this part of the world.
(Was Highlights of Laos)
Day 1-2 - Bangkok
Jump straight in and start the hunt for your favourite Thai street food. It’ll be a toss-up between phad thai and som tam. Walk it off on a city tour before boarding the sleeper train to Chiang Mai.
- Arrive in Bangkok and get to grips with this awesome city
- Visit some of Bangkok’s most famous sights, including the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha
- Enjoy the rest of the day to further explore the city
- Shop for bargains, eat in exotic restaurants and perhaps hit some bars or nightclubs
Day 3 - Chiang Mai
See how many activities you can pack into 24 hours, starting with a cooking class, the 300 steps at Doi Suthep and a tour of the Night Bazaar.
- Spend a free day exploring the northern city of Chiang Mai, with over 120 temples in the centre alone
- Set off on an excursion to the top of Doi Suthep, with fantastic views over the city
- Perhaps get a traditional Thai massage or even partake in a cooking class
- Why not visit the Night Bazaar a great chance to practice those bargaining skills
Day 4 - Huay Xai
Our first stop in Laos is this peaceful little town where you’ll have loads of free time. Are you a book or a Kindle person? Either way, this is a good place to get stuck into your holiday reading.
- Take a small boat across the Mekong River to Huay Xai, the first stop in Laos
- Enjoy time to wander around this small place and perhaps ascend the Naga stairs to Wat Jom Khao Manilat
- Perhaps visit a nearby minority village, where they make rice whiskey, noodles and handicrafts
Day 5 - Mekong River - Pakbeng
Cruise the mighty Mekong and say sabai dee to locals along the way. You’ll feel right at home tonight in your little guesthouse in Pakbeng.
- Board a slow boat for a trip down the Mekong River
- Arrive in the late afternoon at Pakbeng; a colourful village situated at the junction of the Mekong River and the smaller Beng River
Day 6-8 - Luang Prabang
After a busy day seeing Buddhist temples, hiking to Kuang Si Falls and exploring Pak Ou Caves, we think you deserve a rest. Find an herbal steamroom or play some pentanque with the locals (a bit like boules). Don’t expect them to go easy on your.
- Continue on the private slow boat, stopping to stretch your legs and explore the Pak Ou Caves, which contain hundreds of Buddha statues
- Arrive in Luang Prabang in the evening and wander the streets of ‘the best preserved city in South East Asia’
- Trek to the beautiful Kuang Si Falls
Day 9-10 - Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng is surrounded by mountains, rivers and big limestone cliffs. Spend a couple of days checking out heaps of caves, lagoons and forests.
- Transfer to a local fan cooled bus and head toward the village of Vang Vieng, located on a bend in the Nam Song River
- Cross the river to explore the huge caves that line the West Bank
- Enjoy plenty of time to make your own discoveries or partake in an optional kayaking day trip along the Nam Song
Day 11-12 - Vientiane
Awww, everyone hold hands as you drive across the Friendship Bridge. It’s back to Thailand for a sleeper train to Bangkok (snorers need not apply).
- Continue to the Lao capital, located on the banks of the Mekong River
- Arrive in Vientiane and explore this small and laid-back capital on bicycle or on foot
- Set off on a walking orientation tour takes you to the oldest remaining temple in Vientiane, Wat Si Saket
- During free time, further explore Vientiane’s other historical sites, including Haw Pha Kaew
Day 13-14 - Bangkok
It’s all over red rover. How will you spend your last day of the trip? We think it should involve one of the following: a ride on the Skytrain, a pork satay skewer or a visit to MBK shopping mall.
- Perhaps visit Bangkok’s famous clothing markets, grab a traditional Thai Massage or wander down Khao San Road and catch up on the news of the world
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, and there will be the services of local site guides at some sites. All transportation, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 29 May 2013 - 11 Jun 2013 7+ Request US $1,325 Book Now 12 Jun 2013 - 25 Jun 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 10 Jul 2013 - 23 Jul 2013 7+ Available US $1,170 Book Now 07 Aug 2013 - 20 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $1,170 On Sale Sale: US $878 Book Now 04 Sep 2013 - 17 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 02 Oct 2013 - 15 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 16 Oct 2013 - 29 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 30 Oct 2013 - 12 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 13 Nov 2013 - 26 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 27 Nov 2013 - 10 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 11 Dec 2013 - 24 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 25 Dec 2013 - 07 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 01 Jan 2014 - 14 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 15 Jan 2014 - 28 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 22 Jan 2014 - 04 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 05 Feb 2014 - 18 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 19 Feb 2014 - 04 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 05 Mar 2014 - 18 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 19 Mar 2014 - 01 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 02 Apr 2014 - 15 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 09 Apr 2014 - 22 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 23 Apr 2014 - 06 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 30 Apr 2014 - 13 May 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 21 May 2014 - 03 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now 18 Jun 2014 - 01 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $1,325 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.