Laos (Rhymes with WOW)
You know they’re a welcoming bunch when you cross something called the Friendship Bridge. Take a leaf out of the Laotians book and make a few new friends in this part of the world.
(Was Highlights of Laos)
Day 1-2 - Bangkok - overnight train
The hunt for your favourite Thai street food begins. It’ll be a toss-up between phad thai and som tam. Walk it off on a city tour before the sleeper train to Chiang Mai.
- Arrive in Bangkok and get to grips with this awesome city
- Visit some of Bangkok’s most famous sights, including the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha
- Enjoy the rest of the day to further explore the city
- Shop for bargains, eat in exotic restaurants and perhaps hit some bars or nightclubs
Day 3 - Chiang Mai
See how many activities you can pack into 24 hours, starting with a cooking class, the 300 steps at Doi Suthep and a tour of the Night Bazaar.
- Spend a free day exploring the northern city of Chiang Mai, with over 120 temples in the centre alone
- Set off on an excursion to the top of Doi Suthep, with fantastic views over the city
- Perhaps get a traditional Thai massage or even partake in a cooking class
- Why not visit the Night Bazaar a great chance to practice those bargaining skills
Day 4 - Huay Xai
Our first stop in Laos is this peaceful little town where you’ll have loads of free time. Are you a book or a Kindle person? Either way, this is a good place to get stuck into your holiday reading.
- Take a small boat across the Mekong River to Huay Xai, the first stop in Laos
- Enjoy time to wander around this small place and perhaps ascend the Naga stairs to Wat Jom Khao Manilat
- Perhaps visit a nearby minority village, where they make rice whiskey, noodles and handicrafts
Day 5 - Mekong River - Pakbeng
Cruise the mighty Mekong and say sabai dee to locals along the way. You’ll feel right at home tonight in your little guesthouse in Pakbeng.
- Board a slow boat for a trip down the Mekong River
- Arrive in the late afternoon at Pakbeng; a colourful village situated at the junction of the Mekong River and the smaller Beng River
Day 6-8 - Luang Prabang
After a busy day seeing Buddhist temples, hiking to Kuang Si Falls and exploring Pak Ou Caves, we think you deserve a rest. Find an herbal steamroom or play some pentanque with the locals (a bit like boules). Don’t expect them to go easy on your.
- Continue on the private slow boat, stopping to stretch your legs and explore the Pak Ou Caves, which contain hundreds of Buddha statues
- Arrive in Luang Prabang in the evening and wander the streets of ‘the best preserved city in South East Asia’
- Trek to the beautiful Kuang Si Falls
Day 9-10 - Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng is surrounded by mountains, rivers and big limestone cliffs. Spend a couple of days checking out the caves, lagoons and forests.
- Transfer to a local fan cooled bus and head toward the village of Vang Vieng, located on a bend in the Nam Song River
- Cross the river to explore the huge caves that line the West Bank
- Enjoy plenty of time to make your own discoveries or partake in an optional kayaking day trip along the Nam Song
Day 11-12 - Vientiane
It's all over red rover.
- Continue to the Lao capital, located on the banks of the Mekong River.
- Check out some temples, including Wat Sri Saket.
- Swap details so you tag yourself in everyone’s photos on Facebook.
- Trip finishes after breakfast on Day 12.
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, all transportation, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 25 Dec 2013 - 07 Jan 2014 This trip has variations 3 Request US $1,390 Book Now 25 Jan 2014 - 05 Feb 2014 5 Available US $1,105 On Sale Sale: US $951 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 29 Jan 2014 - 11 Feb 2014 This trip has variations 7+ Available US $1,325 On Sale Sale: US $993 Book Now 15 Feb 2014 - 26 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $1,025 On Sale Sale: US $882 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 08 Mar 2014 - 19 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $856 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 29 Mar 2014 - 09 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $856 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 19 Apr 2014 - 30 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $970 On Sale Sale: US $835 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 10 May 2014 - 21 May 2014 7+ Available US $970 On Sale Sale: US $835 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 31 May 2014 - 11 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $970 On Sale Sale: US $835 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 21 Jun 2014 - 02 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $970 On Sale Sale: US $835 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 12 Jul 2014 - 23 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $856 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 02 Aug 2014 - 13 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $856 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 23 Aug 2014 - 03 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $856 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 13 Sep 2014 - 24 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $995 On Sale Sale: US $856 Promo code: 1493 Book Now 04 Oct 2014 - 15 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 25 Oct 2014 - 05 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 15 Nov 2014 - 26 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $1,025 Book Now 06 Dec 2014 - 17 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $1,025 Book Now 27 Dec 2014 - 07 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $1,055 Book Now 03 Jan 2015 - 14 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $1,055 Book Now 24 Jan 2015 - 04 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $1,055 Book Now 14 Feb 2015 - 25 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $1,025 Book Now 07 Mar 2015 - 18 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $1,025 Book Now 28 Mar 2015 - 08 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 18 Apr 2015 - 29 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $970 Book Now 09 May 2015 - 20 May 2015 7+ Available US $970 Book Now 30 May 2015 - 10 Jun 2015 7+ Available US $970 Book Now 20 Jun 2015 - 01 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 11 Jul 2015 - 22 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 01 Aug 2015 - 12 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 22 Aug 2015 - 02 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 12 Sep 2015 - 23 Sep 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 03 Oct 2015 - 14 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 24 Oct 2015 - 04 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $1,025 Book Now 14 Nov 2015 - 25 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $1,025 Book Now 05 Dec 2015 - 16 Dec 2015 7+ Available US $1,055 Book Now 26 Dec 2015 - 06 Jan 2016 7+ Available US $1,055 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Laos (Rhymes with WOW)
Jan John & Vladisl - Australia, 13 Jun, 2012
Excellent trip, both leaders were profesional ,caring and very friendly guys.
Laos (Rhymes with WOW)
Amanda - Australia, 11 Jul, 2012
The first few days in Thailand were great and Laos was amaaaazing! Lots of fun but also lots of interesting sightseeing. Highlights were definitely the slow boat on the Mekong, and tubing in Vang Vieng (not part of the tour). Personally, I didn't like Bangkok that much, so wish I didn't have to go back there at the end of Laos. It would have been nice to finish with an extra day in Vientiane and fly out from there.
- Page 1 of 8