This is Thailand with a whiff of Burma. Our trip mantra: Gonna live while I’m alive, I’ll sleep when I’m dead. Thank you Mr Bon Jovi.
(Was Thailand in Depth)
Day 1 - Bangkok
If you get here early, head to Khao San Road and find out which hawker stall sells the best pork satay skewers. Then, once you’ve met your group you can take them all back and become instantly popular.
Arrive in Bangkok and get to grips with this awesome city. There is a pre departure meeting tonight at approx. 6pm!
Day 2 - Sukhothai
Leave hectic Bangkok for a night in this ancient village known as ‘The Dawn of Happiness’. Jump on a bike and visit loads of nearby temples. By the end of the day you should be familiar with cycling slang such as, nooing (going for an easy ride), skid lid (helmet) and bug gag (swallowing a bug).
- Travel to Sukhothai - 'The Dawn of Happiness' - and stay in a local style wooden guesthouse
- Ride bicycles around the temples and other archaeological relics in Sukhothai's historic area
- Visit a local pottery factory in the area.
Day 3 - Lampang
One way the Elephant Conservation Centre raises money is by selling dung paper (that’s paper made from elephant poo if you were wondering).
- Travel by songthaew to accommodation at the Lampang Thai Elephant Conservation Centre
- Take a guided tour of the complex and enjoy free time to relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings
Day 4-5 - Chiang Mai
Get up early to help the mahouts (elephant handlers) and say goodbye to your big, grey pals. You’re bound to feel underdressed around the colourful hilltribe people in Chiang Mai so hit the Night Bazaar for some new threads.
- Spend a free day exploring the northern city of Chiang Mai, with over 120 temples in the centre alone
Breakfast | Lunch
- Set off on an excursion to the top of Doi Suthep, with fantastic views over the city
- Perhaps get a traditional Thai massage or even partake in a cooking class
- Why not visit the Night Bazaar a great chance to practice those bargaining skills
Day 6-8 - The Golden Triangle - Chiang Rai
Head into the hills for a night in a local homestay. Get a taste of Burma in the village of Tachileik and a sneak peak into the opium trade in The Golden Triangle (the meeting of Thailand, Burma and Laos).
- Journey through the countryside to Thaton, situated on the banks of the Mae Kok River
- Board a long-tail boat for a journey down stream, passing several villages along the way
- Enjoy the surroundings along the Kok River, then meet your local hosts for this evening
- Spend the night with your Northern Thai friends in local accommodation
- Perhaps cross the border for some sightseeing and shopping in the Burmese town of Tachileik
- Travel to the Golden Triangle - the point where the three countries, Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Thailand meet
- Optional visit to the small opium museum that provides information on the infamous trade for which this region is known
Breakfast | Dinner
- For early risers there's time to visit the temples of Chiang Rai, such as Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Jet Yot
- Perhaps browse the markets, where the local hill tribe people sell their wares
- Catch a local bus back to Chiang Mai, then overnight sleeper train to Bangkok
Day 9 - Bangkok
You’ll be a bit sleepy after a long overnight train ride, but the city tour of Wat Pho, Grand Palace etc will wake you right up. Back on the sleeper train heading south tonight.
- Visit some of Bangkok’s most famous sights, including the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha
- Enjoy the rest of the day to further explore the city
- Shop for bargains, eat in exotic restaurants and perhaps hit some bars or nightclubs
Day 10-11 - Koh Samui
Choose from hanging in a hammock, lazing in the sun or snorkelling/diving. Life’s tough.
- Embark on a two-hour ferry trip to the beautiful island of Koh Samui
- Take a trip around the island in a songthaew, visiting the 15-metre tall Big Buddha
- Enjoy a dip in the cool tropical waterfalls of Na Muang and drop in to see the Mummified Monk
- Spend free time on Koh Samui swimming, lazing in the sun, riding elephants, diving or snorkelling
- Perhaps take an optional day tour to the Ang Thong National Marine Park
Day 12 - Khao Sok National Park
Home to monkeys, snakes, tigers and the weird smelly Rafflesia kerrii flower.
- Take the ferry back to the mainland and then continue to Khao Sok National Park by local songthaew
- Head down to the river for a canoeing trip in the country's finest and largest rainforest
- Perhaps spot monkeys playing by the waters edge during the experience
- Optional walks along the many interesting trails and beside the many waterways that exist within the park
Day 13-15 - Bamboo Island Beach Camp - Ao Nang
Life just gets harder and harder as we camp overnight on Bamboo Island. Console yourself with a swim and a cold Singha.
Camp under the stars at Bamboo Island Beach Camp – it’s the best kind of cliche. Try cave exploring, sea kayaking, diving and rock climbing.
- Depart by public bus from Khao Sok to Ao Nang
- Arrive at the beautiful and secluded beach area of Ao Nang
- Morning, take teh long tail boat to Bamboo Island for beach camping
- Spend time swimming in teh warm waters of a hidden tropical paradise
- Enjoy beach over night camping
- Relaxing on the beach soaking up island life, after breakfast return to Ao Nang
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
- Perhaps visit a rubber plantation and school, take a Thai cooking class or watch some Thai kick-boxing
Day 16-17 - Phuket
Fill up your bellies with some tom yum gung from the market and shop for last minute silk scarves and bags.
- Stroll along the streets of Phuket, indulge in shopping opportunities or wander through a local market
- Perhaps consider extending your stay to really make the most of your time in Phuket. Otherwise your free to leave at any time on the final day of your trip!
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, and there will be the services of local site guides at some sites. All transportation, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 15 Feb 2015 - 02 Mar 2015 This trip has variations Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,334 Book Now 29 Mar 2015 - 13 Apr 2015 This trip has variations Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,270 Book Now 03 May 2015 - 18 May 2015 This trip has variations Available smokin' deal Sale: US $1,270 Book Now 07 Jun 2015 - 22 Jun 2015 This trip has variations Available US $1,510 Book Now 05 Jul 2015 - 20 Jul 2015 This trip has variations Available US $1,510 Book Now 04 Oct 2015 - 19 Oct 2015 This trip has variations Available US $1,560 Book Now 01 Nov 2015 - 16 Nov 2015 This trip has variations Available US $1,620 Book Now 29 Nov 2015 - 14 Dec 2015 This trip has variations Available US $1,620 Book Now 13 Dec 2015 - 28 Dec 2015 This trip has variations Available US $1,620 Book Now 03 Jan 2016 - 18 Jan 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,620 Book Now 17 Jan 2016 - 01 Feb 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,620 Book Now 14 Feb 2016 - 29 Feb 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,560 Book Now 06 Mar 2016 - 21 Mar 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,495 Book Now 27 Mar 2016 - 11 Apr 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,495 Book Now 01 May 2016 - 16 May 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,495 Book Now 05 Jun 2016 - 20 Jun 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,495 Book Now 03 Jul 2016 - 18 Jul 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,495 Book Now 02 Oct 2016 - 17 Oct 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,495 Book Now 30 Oct 2016 - 14 Nov 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,560 Book Now 27 Nov 2016 - 12 Dec 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,560 Book Now 11 Dec 2016 - 26 Dec 2016 This trip has variations Available US $1,620 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Elizabeth - United Kingdom, 21 Jan, 2014
My guides in the north part (Ohm) and the south (Rong) were fantastic. They took really good care of us. I had a fantastic holiday and would definitely consider going on another trip with Geckos Liz
Jack - Australia, 5 May, 2013
The 17 day tour was amazing, and both guides Sar and James did a great job.. I suggest that the company should arrange tickets for the two of them to go see Liverpool vs Manchester United next season.. thanks again I would happily do another geckos tour
- Page 1 of 6