The Little Tuk Tuk that Could
It’s only a quickie but in that time we’ll get you on a bike, elephant, long-tail boat, sleeper train, songthaew, taxi, train, tuk-tuk and a bus with the locals (if you’re nice they’ll share their snacks).
(Was Northern Thailand Encounter)
Day 1 - Bangkok
You're officially on holidays. We think that deserves a toast. Our pick for cocktails is Bed Supper Club or Vertigo. Ask your guide for directions or grab your new mates and attempt to navigate the Skytrain.
Arrive in Bangkok and get to grips with this awesome city
Day 2 - Sukhothai
Apparently riding a bike helps build new brain cells in the hippocampus – the bit of your brain responsible for memory (sadly not a university for hippos). So you’ll never forget all the temples you see today.
- Travel to Sukhothai - 'The Dawn of Happiness' - and stay in a local style wooden guesthouse
- Ride bicycles around the temples and other archaeological relics in Sukhothai's historic area
- Visit a local pottery factory in the area.
Day 3 - Lampang
Your homestay is near the Elephant Conservation Centre. Which is great because if you make an accidental trumpet noise in your sleep you can blame it on them.
- Travel by songthaew to accommodation at the Lampang Thai Elephant Conservation Centre
- Take a guided tour of the complex and enjoy free time to relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings
Day 4-5 - Chiang Mai
An early start, but a final visit to the elephants is worth it. Temples and museums are the cards.
- Spend a free day exploring the northern city of Chiang Mai, with over 120 temples in the centre alone
Breakfast | Lunch
- Set off on an excursion to the top of Doi Suthep, with fantastic views over the city
- Perhaps get a traditional Thai massage or even partake in a cooking class
- Why not visit the Night Bazaar a great chance to practice those bargaining skills
Day 6-8 - The Golden Triangle - Chiang Rai
Spend a cheeky few hours in Burma before we learn a bit about the opium trade in the Golden Triangle (this is the bit where Laos, Burma and Thailand meet. It has a pretty sordid little history).
- Journey through the countryside to Thaton, situated on the banks of the Mae Kok River
- Board a long-tail boat for a journey down stream, passing several villages along the way
- Enjoy the surroundings along the Kok River, then meet your Northern Thai hosts for this evening
- Spend the night in a village homestay
- Perhaps cross the border for some sightseeing and shopping in the Burmese town of Tachileik
- Travel to the Golden Triangle - the point where the three countries, Laos, Burma (Myanmar) and Thailand meet
- Optional visit to the small opium museum that provides information on the infamous trade for which this region is known
Breakfast | Dinner
- For early risers there's time to visit the temples of Chiang Rai, such as Wat Phra Kaew and Wat Jet Yot
- Perhaps browse the markets, where the local hill tribe people sell their wares
- Transfer by bus back to Chiang Mai where we will board the overnight sleeper train to Bangkok
Day 9-10 - Bangkok
Trying to find the best food in Bangkok is like trying to spot the real girls at a Ladyboy show: impossible - it's all just so good. Find the nearest street food vendor and tuck in.
- Visit some of Bangkok’s most famous sights, including the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha
- Enjoy the rest of the day to further explore the city
- Shop for bargains, eat in exotic restaurants and perhaps hit some bars or nightclubs
What to Know
An experienced local tour guide, and there will be the services of local site guides at some sites. All transportation, accommodation, sightseeing and meals as indicated.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 16 Jun 2013 - 25 Jun 2013 7+ Available US $880 Book Now 14 Jul 2013 - 23 Jul 2013 7+ Available US $880 On Sale Sale: US $660 Book Now 11 Aug 2013 - 20 Aug 2013 7+ Available US $880 Book Now 08 Sep 2013 - 17 Sep 2013 7+ Available US $880 Book Now 22 Sep 2013 - 01 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 06 Oct 2013 - 15 Oct 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 17 Nov 2013 - 26 Nov 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 15 Dec 2013 - 24 Dec 2013 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 29 Dec 2013 - 07 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 12 Jan 2014 - 21 Jan 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 26 Jan 2014 - 04 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 09 Feb 2014 - 18 Feb 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 23 Feb 2014 - 04 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 09 Mar 2014 - 18 Mar 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 23 Mar 2014 - 01 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 06 Apr 2014 - 15 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 20 Apr 2014 - 29 Apr 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 04 May 2014 - 13 May 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 18 May 2014 - 27 May 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 01 Jun 2014 - 10 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 15 Jun 2014 - 24 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now 29 Jun 2014 - 08 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $995 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.