Riding the Reunification Train
VietNOM! As you slink from old-world Hanoi to ancient Hue and on to pretty Hoi An, beachy Nha Trang and bustling Ho Chi Minh… you will quickly realise that the Vietnamese know a thing or two about delicious food. Pho, bahn mi, rice paper, oh my!
Surviving the overnight sleeper train:
• Make nice with the locals. Offer them a Pringle and they’ll probably share their entire homemade banquet
• Break out the noise-cancelling headphones because there’s bound to be some snorers on board
• Know at least one card game you can teach your new mates
Day 1-2 - Hanoi - overnight train
No, you’re not seeing things. The hundreds of Vietnamese moving in slow motion on Hoan Kiem Lake are just doing tai chi. Bring back a one-off souvenir from the propaganda shop on Hang Bac.
- Arrive in Hanoi and get acquainted with this awesome Vietnamese city
- Begin by visiting the One Pillar Pagoda near the Soviet-inspired mausoleum of Ho Chi Minh
- Walk to the Temple of Literature - Vietnam’s first educational institute
- Visit the Hoa Lo Prison, probably better known to most as the ‘Hanoi Hilton’
- Enjoy a free afternoon to wander around town and check out the lifestyles of Hanoi’s people
- Perhaps stop by the city’s Old Quarter, situated to the north of the lake
- Board the Reunification Express and head to Hue overnight
Day 3 - Hue
The Perfume River doesn’t smell that great. Your Dragon Boat doesn’t breathe fire. And the Forbidden Purple City isn’t purple. These things happen.
- Mount local ‘shopping’ bikes and cycle down to the riverside
- Place the bikes on board a ‘Dragon Boat’, and enjoy a cruise up the Perfume River to visit the Thien Mu pagoda
- Choose to either cycle back into town from here, approximately 8km, or staying on the boat to head back down river to the Citadel
- Spend a couple of hours exploring Hue’s massive walled citadel and the Forbidden Purple Palace enclosed within
- Perhaps cycle out to one of the Royal tombs such as the tomb of Emperor Tu Duc, one of the best remaining examples of its kind
Day 4-6 - Hoi An – Nha Trang
Keep working on your bum groove during the long drive to Hoi An. If you’ve been wearing the same shirt every day, why not hit one of the same-day tailors and get yourself something new. If not for yourself, then for the people in your group who have to stare at you every day.
- Take a walking tour of Hoi An
- Enjoy free time - there’s such a broad choice of things to see and do, and they can all be experienced without difficulty
- Perhaps rent bicycles and set off to explore the surrounding countryside, take a boat trip on the river, relax on the nearby beach, enjoy the cuisine on offer at some of the town’s numerous cheap cafes or have some clothes made up
- Why not venture further afield to Vietnam’s world famous ‘China Beach’ (My Khe Beach) and the adjacent Marble Mountains
- An optional visit to the Kingdom of Champa, the ancient ruins at My Son, can be completed in half a day
- Leave Hoi An and take the day train to Nha Trang
Day 7-8 - Nha Trang - overnight train
Two full days to catch some rays, swim, snorkel and pig out on freshly caught seafood. Then it's back on the Reunification Express for one last ride.
Breakfast | Lunch
- Enjoy plenty of time to worship the sun during two full days in Nha Trang
- Head out onto the water for a day to cruise around the islands
- Spend stacks of time swimming and snorkelling
- Indulge in a lunchtime feast of freshly caught seafood and other delights for non-fish eaters
- Board the Reunification Express and head towards Ho Chi Minh City
Day 9-11 - Ho Chi Minh City
Your hotel is smack bang in the hot zone, surrounded by friendly locals, to-die-for pho and Ben Thanh Market. Don't eat too much if you want to squeeze into the Cu Chi Tunnels.
- Crawl through a section of the Cu Chi Tunnels
- Learn how the brave men and women of Cu Chi built underground hospitals, kitchens and meeting rooms during their struggle
- Spend the last afternoon in Vietnam shopping in the city’s main business district, or take a stroll through the busy city streets of Ho Chi Minh City’s Chinatown district, Cholon
- Spend time exploring amazing Ho Chi Minh City
- Trip ends after breakfast on Day 11
What to Know
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking local tour guide throughout the tour.
• Reunification Express journeys – Hanoi to Hue (overnight), Danang to Nha Trang (day) and Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh City (overnight).
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where relevant): Hanoi - One Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature and Hoa Lo Prison (Hanoi Hilton); Hai Van Pass; Hoi An’s ‘Old Town’; and the Cu Chi Tunnels.
• Local ‘shopping’ bike ride around Hue and Dragon Boat cruise up the Perfume River to visit Thien Mu Pagoda (with option to cycle back through the countryside).
• Day cruise in Nha Trang, with a freshly-caught seafood lunch included (non-seafood options available).
• Free time to explore Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh City.
- International flights, arrival and departure transfers, departure and airport taxes, visas, all other meals, all optional tours or activities during free time, transfers outside of the tour program, travel insurance, tips and items of a personal nature.
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 28 Sep 2014 - 08 Oct 2014 4 places left US $840 Book Now 05 Oct 2014 - 15 Oct 2014 3 places left US $840 Book Now 12 Oct 2014 - 22 Oct 2014 Available US $840 On Sale Sale: US $630 Book Now 26 Oct 2014 - 05 Nov 2014 Fully Booked US $865 Contact us 23 Nov 2014 - 03 Dec 2014 1 place left US $890 Book Now 07 Dec 2014 - 17 Dec 2014 Available US $890 Book Now 14 Dec 2014 - 24 Dec 2014 Available US $890 Book Now 21 Dec 2014 - 31 Dec 2014 Available US $890 Book Now 28 Dec 2014 - 07 Jan 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 04 Jan 2015 - 14 Jan 2015 Available US $915 Book Now 18 Jan 2015 - 28 Jan 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 25 Jan 2015 - 04 Feb 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 01 Feb 2015 - 11 Feb 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 08 Feb 2015 - 18 Feb 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 15 Feb 2015 - 25 Feb 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 01 Mar 2015 - 11 Mar 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 08 Mar 2015 - 18 Mar 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 22 Mar 2015 - 01 Apr 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 29 Mar 2015 - 08 Apr 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 05 Apr 2015 - 15 Apr 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 12 Apr 2015 - 22 Apr 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 19 Apr 2015 - 29 Apr 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 03 May 2015 - 13 May 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 10 May 2015 - 20 May 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 24 May 2015 - 03 Jun 2015 Available US $815 Book Now 31 May 2015 - 10 Jun 2015 Available US $815 Book Now 21 Jun 2015 - 01 Jul 2015 Available US $815 Book Now 12 Jul 2015 - 22 Jul 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 26 Jul 2015 - 05 Aug 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 02 Aug 2015 - 12 Aug 2015 Available US $815 Book Now 16 Aug 2015 - 26 Aug 2015 Available US $815 Book Now 30 Aug 2015 - 09 Sep 2015 Available US $815 Book Now 13 Sep 2015 - 23 Sep 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 27 Sep 2015 - 07 Oct 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 04 Oct 2015 - 14 Oct 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 11 Oct 2015 - 21 Oct 2015 Available US $840 Book Now 18 Oct 2015 - 28 Oct 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 25 Oct 2015 - 04 Nov 2015 Available US $865 Book Now 08 Nov 2015 - 18 Nov 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 15 Nov 2015 - 25 Nov 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 22 Nov 2015 - 02 Dec 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 29 Nov 2015 - 09 Dec 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 06 Dec 2015 - 16 Dec 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 13 Dec 2015 - 23 Dec 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 20 Dec 2015 - 30 Dec 2015 Available US $890 Book Now 27 Dec 2015 - 06 Jan 2016 Available US $890 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
At the end of each trip, we ask our travellers to provide feedback. We publish the positive, negative and neutral feedback on this page to give you an overall idea of what to expect on this trip.
Riding the Reunification Train
JUDY - Australia, 30 Jun, 2013
THE MOST AMAZING AND FUN AND INTERESTING TOUR I HAVE BEEN ON, REALLY LOVED THE GROUP AND THE TOUR LEADER KHOA NGUYEN. I USUALLY TRAVEL INTREPID, BUT WILL DEFINATELY BE TRAVELLING WITH GECKO FROM NOW ON!!
Riding the Reunification Train
daniel - United Kingdom, 30 Jun, 2013
An excellent trip well organised. Only wish It could have been longer.
- Page 1 of 24