Vietnam in a Banana Leaf
This is your full-on trip up the coast of Vietnam and into Halong Bay. From hectic Ho Chi Minh City to historic Hanoi. Ready, set, pagoda.
Day 1 - Ho Chi Minh City
You know how when you're camping, you can sit and watch the fire crackle for hours? That's what it's like watching the traffic in Ho Chi Minh City. Grab an outside seat, a bowl of pho and prepare to be mesmerised.
- Arrive in Ho Chi Minh City. There will be a pre departure meeting at approx. 6pm tonight!
- Consider hiring a ‘cyclo’ (bicycle rickshaw) for touring the city sights (optional)
Day 2-3 - Mekong Delta - Ho Chi Minh City - overnight train
Cruise the mighty Mekong River before spending the night with local friends on a homestay by the water.
Take a boat down the Mekong River. It's an experience that will fill you with joy, as will staying with a local family in the evening.
Head down to the Mekong Delta and visit Ben Tre
On arrival, board a private boat and cruise along the waterways to visit local cottage industries.
Head to our overnight homestay along the water.
Sleep on simple camp beds in dorm-style rooms. Bedding and mosquito nets are provided. Shared toilet and bathroom facilities are basic.
Rise early and enjoy a simple breakfast before boarding the boat, and catching a bus back to Ho Chi Minh City.
Board an overnight train to Nha Trang - conditions are basic, but this is the best way to travel long distances in Vietnam. The berths sleep 4- 6 and you may be sharing with locals and different gendersBreakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 4-5 - Nha Trang - overnight train
When you’re lying on the beach and feeling peckish, it might be time to order fresh lobster. Pick a vendor, find the biggest lobster of the bunch and Bob’s your uncle (or is he?)
- Enjoy plenty of time to worship the sun during two full days in Nha Trang
- A great optional excursion (at additional cost) is a day to cruise around the islands where you spend stacks of time swimming and snorkelling and indulging in a lunchtime feast of freshly caught seafood
- Board an overnight train to Danang
Day 6-8 - Hoi An
- Cheap is definitely tasty in Hoi An. Now’s your chance to try pho from the Motherland. Slurp away to your heart’s content.
- Enjoy free time - there’s such a broad choice of things to see and do, and they can all be experienced without difficulty
- Perhaps join an optional Vietnamese cooking class?
- Perhaps rent bicycles and set off to explore the surrounding countryside, take a boat trip on the river, relax on the nearby beach, enjoy the cuisine on offer at some of the town’s numerous cheap cafes or have some clothes made up
- Why not venture further afield to Vietnam’s world famous ‘China Beach’ (known locally as My Khe Beach) and the adjacent Marble Mountains
- An optional visit to the Kingdom of Champa, the ancient ruins at My Son, can be completed in half a day
Day 9-11 - Hue - overnight train
Perhaps an optional bike ride in the countryside, then fill up on banh – Hue’s very own steamed rice cakes with a little fish sauce or a dollop of chilli sauce.
Travel across Hai Van Pass to the fishing village of Lang Co. After a quick stop, continue on to Hue (approx 5 hrs including stops).
Enjoy some free time, perhaps visit the Dong Ba market
Check out the Forbidden Purple Palace and some royal tombs
- Maybe take a Dragon Boat cruise up the Perfume River and also visit Thien Mu pagoda?
- Perhaps cycle out to one of the Royal tombs such as the tomb of Emperor Tu Duc, one of the best remaining examples of its kind
- Board overnight train to Hanoi
Day 12 - Hanoi
- There’s a big art scene here, so head to Art Vietnam in the West Lake area or Dong Phong Art Gallery in the French Quarter and pick up a memento before heading home.
- Take a walking tour of the Old Quarter,
- Visit the Dong Xuan Market and stroll through the ancient '36 Streets'
Day 13 - Halong Bay
Sure, the water looks a bit murky when you board your junk. But that's just because of all the other dirty, smelly boats stinking up the joint. Wait until you get out into the open - the water is so clear you'll be gagging for a swim. Which is exactly what we're gonna let you do.
Drive through the Red River Delta to Halong Bay (approx 4 hrs), stop on the way for refreshments at a handicraft workshop run by disabled people
Halong Bay is a breathtaking secluded harbour with 2000 limestone islands rising from the water
Board a boat and cruise the bay with its limestone karsts rising from the clear emerald waters
Enjoy a seafood lunch on board, explore some of the limestone caves in the area and go swimming during the warmer months
Stay on Cat Ba Island. The foreshore is a great place to have a drink and watch the sunsetLunch
Day 14-15 - Hanoi
Travel by ferry to Tuan Chau, then take the bus back to Hanoi.
Feast your eyes and belly on the wondrous world of Hanoi once again. Do some final exploring or just grab a beer, Vietnamese coffee or freshly squeezed juice and get terminally chill.
- Enjoy some free time, wander around town and check out the lifestyles of Hanoi’s people
- Perhaps visit One Pillar Pagoda near the Soviet-inspired mausoleum of Ho Chi Minh or walk to the Temple of Literature - Vietnam’s first educational institute
- The trip ends in the morning on Day 15
What to Know
Trip Dates and Prices
Start Date – End Date Trip Status Price 23 Mar 2014 - 06 Apr 2014 0 Request US $975 Contact Us 03 Apr 2014 - 17 Apr 2014 7 Available US $945 On Sale Sale: US $803 Book Now 20 Apr 2014 - 04 May 2014 1 Available US $975 Book Now 01 May 2014 - 15 May 2014 7+ Available US $855 Book Now 08 May 2014 - 22 May 2014 5 Available US $945 Book Now 22 May 2014 - 05 Jun 2014 7+ Available US $945 On Sale Sale: US $756 Book Now 19 Jun 2014 - 03 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 03 Jul 2014 - 17 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 17 Jul 2014 - 31 Jul 2014 7+ Available US $975 Book Now 31 Jul 2014 - 14 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 14 Aug 2014 - 28 Aug 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 04 Sep 2014 - 18 Sep 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 18 Sep 2014 - 02 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 02 Oct 2014 - 16 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 16 Oct 2014 - 30 Oct 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 30 Oct 2014 - 13 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 06 Nov 2014 - 20 Nov 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 20 Nov 2014 - 04 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 04 Dec 2014 - 18 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 11 Dec 2014 - 25 Dec 2014 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 18 Dec 2014 - 01 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 25 Dec 2014 - 08 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 08 Jan 2015 - 22 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 15 Jan 2015 - 29 Jan 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 29 Jan 2015 - 12 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 12 Feb 2015 - 26 Feb 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 12 Mar 2015 - 26 Mar 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 16 Apr 2015 - 30 Apr 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 14 May 2015 - 28 May 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 18 Jun 2015 - 02 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 16 Jul 2015 - 30 Jul 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 13 Aug 2015 - 27 Aug 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 17 Sep 2015 - 01 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 15 Oct 2015 - 29 Oct 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 05 Nov 2015 - 19 Nov 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 19 Nov 2015 - 03 Dec 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 03 Dec 2015 - 17 Dec 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 17 Dec 2015 - 31 Dec 2015 7+ Available US $945 Book Now 31 Dec 2015 - 14 Jan 2016 7+ Available US $945 Book Now
Past Travellers' Ratings & Comments
There’s no feedback available on this trip yet. If you’ve been on this trip and would like to contribute a review, rating or simply make a comment then please get in touch.