Facty things dawn_selkirk

Published on January 25th, 2014 | by Geckos Tales Team

0

FACTY THINGS: 10 FACTS ABOUT GREECE

Greece is pretty much a magical wonderland for people with an ancient history fetish. Actually, beach fetishizers (it’s a word, we looked it up on ze interwebz) will probably love it too.

1. TOURIST OVERLOAD

About 16.5 million people visit Greece each year. Greece’s population is only around 10 million. Prepare to fight for that deck chair.

2. ANCIENT OLIVE

Some of the olive trees planted in the 13th Century are still producing olives today. How do you feel about eating an olive 700 years in the making?

3. EPIC ISLANDS

Greece has over 2000 islands, 170 of which are populated. Dare you to visit them all.

4. THE BIRTHPLACE OF…EVERYTHING

Athens is one of the oldest cities in Europe (it’s been inhabited continuously for 7000 years). It’s also the birthplace of Western philosophy and literature, the Olympic Games, democracy, political science, some major mathematical principles, and Western theories of comedy and tragedy. SUCH a show off.

5. RUDE WAVE

Greek people consider it offensive to wave with your palm showing and fingers extended. Keep that palm closed guys.

6. BAR-BAR-BARBARIAN

The word Barbarian comes from the Greek word barboroi. It literally translates to mean ‘people who don’t speak Greek’. And therefore sound like they’re saying “bar-bar-bar-bar” all the time. Of course they do.

7. SAY CHEESE

Feta is the national cheese of Greece. Any country that has a national cheese is OK by us. Apparently Greeks consume more feta per capita than any other nation in the world. Any nation that eats that much feta is also OK by us.

8. EASY ACCESS

There is no place in Greece more than 137 kilometres away from water. If you can’t swim, reconsider your holiday destination (or buy some rad floaties).

9. CONCENTRATED

Almost half (40%) of Greece’s population lives in Athens. The other 60% get to chuck a spread on the islands. Lucky buggers.

10. DINNER LAZING

Ancient Greek people ate dinner while lying on their sides. What of it? Sounds ideal.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,


About the Author

We run awesome trips around the world. But when we're not on the road, we're sitting here and writing loads of travel-related insights, tips, information and advice. Geckos Tales is your go-to source for whenever you need to find something out about pretty much anything.



Back to Top ↑