Published on March 28th, 2014 | by Oliver Pelling
MAKE IT AT HOME: POLLO TACO RECIPE
Read time: a bit over 2 minute
Photo courtesy of Neil Conway | Flickr
We are of the firm belief that tacos are the best food to have ever graced our distinguished palette. And it seems as though many other folks feel the same way, because you can’t walk a couple blocks in any major western city without coming across a Mexican restaurant these days.
Super-trendy taquerias aside, one of the main draw cards of Mexican food, and tacos particularly, is that they’re cheap and simple to make. Traditionally, a taco consists of little more than two soft-shell corn tortillas (hard-shell tacos were invented in the U.S. in 1947) wrapped around a handful of grilled meat doused with chopped onions, coriander, salsa and some kind of hot sauce.
We’ve eaten a fair few tacos in our time and we love them all equally. One of the easiest to make at home, however, is the humble pollo (chicken) taco. Here’s how (feeds four…ish):
5 chicken thighs (boned)
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of ground coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
Bunch of fresh coriander
1-2 red onions (depending on size)
8-12 soft corn torillas (depending on taco size and participant hunger)
Salsa (Mission make good ones, extra points if you make your own)
Limes for serving
1. Chop the chicken thighs into whatever size chunks you want them to be
2. Chuck the chicken in a pan (on medium heat) with a good glug of olive oil, and add the paprika, cumin, ground coriander and salt and pepper. Cook until…um…cooked.
3. In another pan, or a sandwich press, begin heating the corn torillas – 45 seconds to a minute each side should do the trick
4. Chop the red onion into small chunks
5. Mash the avocado (using a fork) with a spot of lime juice, some finely chopped coriander and salt and pepper to taste
Rules of engagement:
1. Once the chicken is cooked, the avocado mashed, and the tortillas warmed, lay the tortillas out flat. Get a scoop of avocado and spread it through the middle of the torilla.
2. Throw some chicken on top
3. Pull off some coriander leaves and place them atop the chicken along with however much red onion you desire
4. Douse the thing in salsa
5. Make it rain lime juice
6. Fold, eat, and repeat every day for the rest of your life