Published on July 21st, 2014 | by Geckos Tales Team
NEPAL: 21 PHOTOGRAPHS THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND
Nepal is one of our favourite destinations. It’s at once a place you can get totally physical and totally spiritual – which is a stellar combination in our books. From the cultural climes of Kathmandu to the epic mountainscapes of the Gokyo region, the people, traditions and history of this place will totally blow your mind. It totally blows our mind, anyway.
We scoured the web, our own archives and searched our staffs’ Facebook albums to try and find a selection of images that we reckon represents Nepal’s entire spectrum of awesome. We reckon the below shots do a pretty damn fine job of that, and we sincerely hope you’ll agree once you’ve given them a looksie. Enjoy, friends. This is Nepal.
1. Porters carrying wood in the mountainous surrounds of Kathmandu. The kid on the left is smiling despite the heavy load on his back – dude is not easily phased. We like that.
2. The sign to Everest Base Camp – an exciting find (and useful directions) for any would-be ascender.
3. How intrigued does this little fella look? Or bored. He might be bored. Either way, stay in school, kids.
4. The Nepalese mountainscape has never looked better. How green is the green? How blue is the blue? How white is the white? Amazing.
5. This photo of a bookshop in Pukar shows a side of Nepal you don’t often get to see – everyday life.
6. Sometimes it’s the people that makes the trip. This woman looks like the loveliest woman you could ever hope to meet, anywhere.
7. Um, yep. No explanation needed here: pure Nepalese magic.
8. What can we say about this one? It has many connotations: beauty, innocence, sadness. It’s real-life.
9. This shot of a shepherd’s camp offers an amazing glimpse into life amongst the mountains.
10. Yak + mountains + golden hour = photo wizardry. This one is no exception.
11. Photos of prayer flags are a dime a dozen. Photos of prayer flags this good are not.
12. The holy men – or Sadhus – of Nepal make for excellent photographs – just make sure you ask permission first. Who knows – maybe they’ll get their posse together and give you one of the best photographs of your trip, like this:
13. Photos of Nepal are almost always taken outside, finding one taken inside that’s as tranquil as this was a real treat. The serenity of a Nepalese monastery – it can’t be beat.
14. Flags, mountains, blue skies – it was never not going to be a good photograph, was it?
15. We like the ominous tones to this one – as if the mountains woke up kinda pissed off, or something.
16. Take one massive gorge, add one gnarly bridge, throw in a few cattle and bingo: you’ve got yourself an epic photograph.
17. The terrace farms of Nagarkot are pretty special. This photo does a rather splendid job of showing why.
18. Birds of a feather flock together, and the birds of Nepal look pretty cool. Fact.
19. We don’t reckon those walking poles belong to those kids, but they look pretty cute posing with ‘em.
20. This stone house has been photographed heaps, but this is probably one of the best shots of it we’ve found. Perfect weather, perfect composition, perfect photo.
21. This shot of the Kathmandu streets at golden hour is possibly one of our favourite shots of Kathmandu at golden hour ever.
Explore Nepal on one of our Geckos itineraries. Whether you’re after trekking, culture or some spiritual enlightenment – we cover it all. Get there.