Win a trip to India!
Do you want to be the next big thing in travel writing, plus win the trip of a lifetime to India?
Well, you’re in luck, because we’re on the hunt for a new freelance travel writer for Geckos Tales. Plus, we’re giving that lucky writer a spot on our 16-day Rajasthan Journey trip during the mid-year RMIT uni break (and we’re even throwing in flights).
So, if you think that taking epic trips with other travellers aged 18-29, seeing the best sights, meeting the locals and writing about it for us would be a dream come true, then this is the competition for you.
Applications have now closed, thanks for your interest. But if you want to freelance for us please email an expression of interest and a sample of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before you put pen to paper, you should read our contributor guidelines carefully, so you know what we’re looking for.
- Then, you just need to write the best travel blog ever!
- And finally, email your blog to email@example.com (with a few accompanying photos if you’ve got them).
Exclusively open to RMIT students, aged 18 - 29.
*Terms and conditions apply.
Each entry must be:
- In English (an English translation of a story written originally in any other language is not eligible);
- An original and unpublished work of which the entrant is the author;
- Nine hundred (900) words maximum in length about travel (see our contributor guidelines for more details)
- Submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Formatted in double-spaced, 12-point font, with numbered pages, in PDF or Word format.
- Each entry must include a cover letter that contains the author's name, the author's age in years and months and title of the entry. The author's name must not appear anywhere on the entry itself.
And even if you don't win (but we still think you're awesome) there's a chance we might contact you and ask you to join our network of paid freelancers.
Don't meet the criteria, but want to freelance for us? Please email an expression of interest and a sample of your work to email@example.com
Geckos Adventures Travel Writing Competition
1. By submitting an entry to the Competition, you agree to accept and be bound by the following terms and conditions, and acknowledge that failure to comply with them may result in disqualification.
2. Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) (ABN: 49 781 030 034) of 124 La Trobe St, Melbourne VIC 3000 and Intrepid Group, Level 7/567 Collins Street, Melbourne, 3000 are the Promoters of the Competition (Promoters).
4. The Competition will open for submissions at 12:01 am (AEDT) on 1 March 2018 (Opening Date). Story entries will be accepted until 11:59 (AEDT) 31 March 2018 (Closing Date).
4.1 The Competition will be open for entry for a period of eight (8) weeks
4.2 Entry is open to all residents of Australia. Entrants must be within the age of eighteen (18) years old and twenty-nine (29) years old at the time they take the Prize. The Prize must be taken within 12 months of the date of the Prize being offered to the winner and must be taken before their 30th birthday.
4.3 The winner is required to provide proof of identity and age before they can claim the Prize.
4.4 Employees and their immediate families of RMIT, Intrepid Group and their associated agencies and companies are not eligible to enter.
5. The winning entrant will be notified by the Promoters by the 16 April 2018, and their names announced publicly on that day on the Geckos Adventures website and published on RMIT’s Facebook page.
6. If the Competition prize is declined or unclaimed by the winner, or if the winner cannot be contacted within three (3) business day of notification using the details provided, another winner may be selected at the Promoters' discretion and will be notified by the Promoters.
7. Entry is open to all residents of Australia subject to clause 4.
7.1 The original winning entrant will then forfeit the Competition prize if the Promoters select another winner.
8. The Promoters will accept multiple submissions per entrant. However, only one prize per person per promotion permitted.
9. The author must be a single individual; jointly written stories or stories written by multiple authors will not be accepted.
10. Each entrant must provide up to date and accurate contact information when they submit their entry to enable the Promoters to contact them for further information or update the status of the entry before or after the Closing Date by notifying the Promoters by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
11. If there is any dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the Promoters reserve the right, in their sole discretion to determine the identity of the entrant.
12. Each entry must be:
12.1 In English (an English translation of a story written originally in any other language is not eligible);
12.2 An original and unpublished work of which the entrant is the author;
12.3 Nine hundred (900) words maximum in length about travel
12.4 Submitted via email to email@example.com
12.5 Formatted in double-spaced, 12-point font, with numbered pages, in PDF or Word format.
13. Each entry must include a cover letter that contains the author's name, the author's age in years and months and title of the entry. The author's name must not appear anywhere on the entry itself.
14. Entrants are advised to retain a copy of any entry which they submit, as the Promoters are unable to return any submitted entry.
15. Copyright in each entry submitted remains with the author of the entry, subject to clause 45.
16. There is no monetary cost to submit an entry.
17. Should an entrant's contact details change during the promotional period, it is the entrant's responsibility to notify the Promoters. A request to access or modify any information provided in an entry should be directed to the Promoters at firstname.lastname@example.org
18. Illegible, incomprehensible, incomplete entries and entries made on behalf of an entrant by a third party will be deemed invalid.
19. The Promoters accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
20. The cost of accessing the promotional website will be dependent on the entrant's individual Internet Service Provider.
21. The Promoters reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entrants by asking them to provide proof of age, proof of identity, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity (including phone bill or store receipt for purchase requirement) in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of Intrepid Group. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
22. Each valid entrant who has entered the Competition over the duration of the Competition Period will be entered into the draw.
22.1 One (1) entrant for the prize will be selected. The prize is valid for one (1) person.
22.2 The prize is:
· 1x place on Rajasthan Journey with return flights from the winner’s nearest capital city in Australia
23. Total value of the prize inclusive of flights is approximately $2,430.
Prize package includes: Return economy flights from nearest capital city, 15 nights accommodation while on tour, Transport, Local leader, Some additional activity (see trip notes), Some meals.
Valid dates for travel: 30 April 2018– 30 July 2018. Dates are strictly subject to availability at time of booking.
24. Prizes cannot be transferred and cannot be redeemed for cash.
25. The winners are responsible for all other expenses including spending money, meals (unless specified), drinks, transfers (unless specified), laundry charges, activities (unless specified), incidentals, taxes (excluding departure and any other flight associated taxes included within the prize), energy surcharges, gratuities, services charges, passports, visas, travel insurance and all other ancillary costs. Travel insurance is compulsory to protect against the additional costs incurred in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
26. The prize must be taken by 30 July 2018 and is subject to hotel and flight availability as per clause.
27. Travel dates cannot be changed once the booking is confirmed and tickets are issued. Prize Winners are responsible for any amendment fees issued by airlines or suppliers once booking is confirmed and ticketed.
28. Prizes cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounts or special offers.
29. Air tickets are available on the regular scheduled services of each airline and are subject to seasonal embargos. Flight itinerary may have to be adjusted depending on the airlines departure city and their current flight schedule. Frequent Flyer points are not available from any airline.
30. If any prize is unavailable, for whatever reason, the Promoters reserve the right to substitute the prize for a prize of equal or greater value, subject to State Regulation.
31. A credit card imprint or cash deposit may be required from the winner at check-in to the hotel, for all incidental charges. Once accommodation vouchers are issued they are non-changeable.
32. It is the traveller's personal responsibility to ensure that they have valid documentation, including but not limited to valid passports and visas, which meet the requirements of immigration and other government authorities at every destination. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of such documents not meeting the requirements of those authorities will be the sole responsibility of the traveller/s.
33. RMIT and other parties make no representation as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination. International travel advice can be obtained from various sources, including government, local consular offices and the web site of the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
34. Unless expressly stated in these terms and conditions all other expenses (including travel to and from the airport) become the responsibility of the winner.
35. In the event that for any reason whatsoever a winner does not take an element of the prize at the time stipulated by the Promoters then that element of the prize will be forfeited by the winner and cash will not be awarded in lieu of that element of the prize.
36. Prize values are based upon the recommended retail prices at the time of printing (inclusive of GST). The Promoters accepts no responsibility for change in prize value between now and the ultimate prize redemption date.
37. Independent financial advice should be sought as tax implications may arise as a result of accepting the prize.
Writer requirements- post prize trip:
38. The winner of the Competition is to write two (2) x 700- 1000 word articles about the trip for exclusive publication on Geckos Adventures' blog subject to clause 42 and 45.
39. The winner of the Competition may be required to write articles about their trip for exclusive publication by RMIT, subject to clause 42 and 45.
40. The Prize Winners will be required to:
40.1 Submit related photos from their trip to which they hold the copyright subject to clause 42 and 45
40.2 Submit the all relevant content within one month of returning from the trip
40.3 Discuss the topic of their story in consultation with Geckos Adventures
40.4 Make social media posts tagging Geckos Adventures
41. The Prize Winners will not receive monetary payments from the Promoters for publication of any works connected to the prize trip.
42. By submitting the written content the Prize Winners agree to grant Intrepid Group- Geckos Adventures (and its providers and affiliates) a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide licence without charge to use, edit, rewrite where required reproduce, publish and display any or all of their entry or entries for use in marketing materials pertaining to the promotion it's product, services or other promotions.
43. The Prize Winners may be offered ongoing opportunities with the Geckos blog, in the form of paid writing opportunities or a one-off internship, at the discretion of the Promoters. By entering this Competition entrants agree that no promise has been made by the Promoters of ongoing writing or employment opportunities.
Intellectual property rights
44. Copyright in each entry submitted remains with the author of the entry, subject to this clause (45).
44.1 By submitting an entry to the Competition the winning entrant grants to the Promoters, jointly and severally, a non-exclusive, royalty free, perpetual right to use, edit, rewrite where required, publish, reproduce and reprint the story and photos supplied (in whole or in part) on a worldwide basis through all media (including print, digital, radio and social media). Without limiting the above, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that this includes:
44.1.1 Publication by Geckos
44.1.2 Publication by RMIT
44.1.3 Each entrant agrees not to publish their story in any manner (including print, digital or social media) until after the initial publication of the winning story on the Geckos blog.
44.1.4 The author of the winning story agrees not to publish, in any format, the winning story for a period of 12 months after the initial publication of the Story by Geckos.
44.1.5 The Promoters reserve the right to edit the winning entry in respect of publication.
44.1.6 By submitting an entry to the Competition each entrant also consents to the Promoters using their name, likeness, image and /or voice in the event they are shortlisted or the winner (including photograph, video and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting the Competition and the Promoters.
44.1.7 The Intrepid Group may contact entrants, to offer future paid freelance writing work for Geckos Tales.
45. Entries received after the Closing Date and or which are not in accordance with the entrant and entry requirements set out in the terms and conditions respectively will not be accepted.
Judging and outcome
46. Judges will select one (1) winner.
46.1 The winner will be the Entrant who, in the sole opinion of the judges, has submitted an original story that is deemed to be of exceptional quality.
46.2 The winner will be notified by telephone or in writing within two (2) days of the Prize Determination Date.
47. The judge's decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to their deliberations, decisions or the Competition.
48. Entrants must direct any questions or comments in relation to the Competition to the Promoters at email@example.com. Entrants must not contact or attempt to contact any of the judges of the Prize.
49. The Competition prizes will be awarded to person named in the entry.
50. All reasonable attempts will be made to contact the Winners. If a prize remains unclaimed as per clause 7, the prizes will be re-allocated to the entrant that has submitted the entry which best meets the judging criteria excluding the entrant that has failed to claim the prize.
50.1 This Unclaimed Prize Determination will take place at and Intrepid Group, Level 7/567 Collins Street, Melbourne, 3000 on 3 April 2018. The winner/s of the Unclaimed Prize Determination will be notified by telephone and in writing within two (2) days of the Unclaimed Prize Determination.
51. By submitting an entry, the author warrants to the Promoters that they own all intellectual property rights in their essay entry and, that their essay entry:
51.1 Is an original, unpublished literary work;
51.2 Does not infringe the copyright or any other intellectual property rights of any other person;
51.3 Does not defame or invade the privacy rights of any third party;
51.4 Does not infringe any other legal rights, regulations or laws.
52. Events may occur which render the awarding of the Competition impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoters. The Promoters may, at their absolute discretion, vary, amend, suspend or withdraw the Competition or amend these Terms and Conditions with or without notice.
53. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner must comply with all the conditions of use of the prize and the prize supplier's requirements.
54. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner may be required to sign a legal release in a form determined by the Promoters in its absolute discretion.
55. Unless expressly stated in these terms and conditions all other expenses (including travel to and from the airport) become the responsibility of the winner.
56. The Promoters reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and to disqualify any entry which, in the opinion of Promoters, includes objectionable content, profanity, potentially insulting, inflammatory or defamatory statements, disqualify any entrant who tampers with the entry process, who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms & Conditions of Entry or who has, in the opinion of Promoters, engaged in conduct in entering the Promotion which is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion and/or Promoters. The Promoters reserves the right to disqualify a winner if the Promoters become aware that the winner and/or the winner's entry is of a type described in this clause.
57. The Promoters reserves the right to refuse to allow a winner to take part in any or all aspects of the prize, if the Promoters determines, in their absolute discretion, that a winner is not in the mental or physical condition necessary to be able to safely participate in the prize. It is a condition of accepting the prize that the winner may be required to sign a legal release in a form determined by the Promoters in its absolute discretion.
58. By accepting the prize, the winner agrees to participate in and co-operate as required with all reasonable media editorial requests relating to the prize, including but not limited to, being interviewed and photographed, filmed and/or chaperoned throughout the duration of the prize.
59. In consideration for the Promoters awarding the prize to the winner, the winner hereby assigns to the Promoters all right, title and interest in and to all copyright in any material created pursuant to the winner's participation in any aspect of the prize (Stories). The winner acknowledges that the Promoters is free to use the Stories and to exercise its rights in relation thereto and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
60. In the case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders the Promoters' ability to proceed with the competition on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to vandalism, power failures, tempests, natural disasters, acts of God, civil unrest, strike, war, act of terrorism, the Promoters may in its absolute discretion cancel the competition and recommence it from the start on the same conditions
61. If for any reason this Competition is not capable of running as planned in case of the intervention of any outside act, agent or event which prevents or significantly hinders the Promoters' ability to proceed with the competition on the dates and in the manner described in these terms and conditions, including but not limited to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoters, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoters reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition
61.1 as per clause 30, the Promoters may in its absolute discretion cancel the competition and recommence it from the start on the same conditions
62. The Promoters shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
62.1The Promoters is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, either caused by the phone user or for any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in this competition, or for any technical error, or any combination thereof that may occur in the course of the administration of this competition including any omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line or telephone, mobile or satellite network failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of entries.
63. The Promoters reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who the Promoters has reason to believe has breached any of these conditions, or engaged in any unlawful or other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise the fair and proper conduct of the promotion. The Promoters' legal rights to recover damages or other compensation from such an offender are reserved.
64. Geckos Adventures and their associated agencies and companies assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to, or alteration of entries, and reserves the right to take any action that may be available.
65. Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded including the statutory guarantees under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), the Promoters jointly and severally (including their respective officers, employees and agents) are not responsible for and exclude all liability (including negligence) for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of: (i) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction; (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (iii) any entry or Prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoters) due to any reason beyond the control of the Promoters; (d) any variation in the Prize or the Prize Sum to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by the winner or entrant.
67. The result of the Competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
68. The Promoters cannot accept responsibility for or liability arising from participants taking part in the Competition or submitting an entry to the Competition.
69. The Promoters give no warranty or guarantee in relation to the Competition and accept no responsibility or liability for the Competition being amended by the Promoters. To the fullest extent permissible by law, the Promoters exclude liability for all loss, damage or claim arising as a result of any participant's entry into the Competition or use of the Competition.
70. The Promoters are collecting the entrant's personal information for the purpose of conducting and promoting this competition (including but not limited to determining and notifying winner). The entrant's personal information may be disclosed to Promoters for this purpose. If you are not willing for this to occur you cannot participate in the Promotion.
71. Entrant's consent to their entries to be added to the Promoters' and third-party's subscriber database for newsletters and EDMs. If you are not willing for this to occur you cannot participate in the Promotion.
72. You consent to The Promoters collecting your personal information for the purpose of conducting and promoting this competition (including but not limited to determining and notifying the winner and prize fulfilment). Your personal information may be disclosed to third party service providers for this purpose. Your personal information may be disclosed to State and Territory lottery departments and winners' names published as required under the relevant lottery legislation. For purposes of public statements and advertisements the Promoters will only publish the winner's surname, initial and state. A request to access, update or correct any information should be directed to the Promoters. If you are not willing for this to occur you cannot participate in the promotion.